Sign in to follow this  
venturis

Hikvision 2CD3332 image alternating light/dark during day

Hi, I've recently installed a couple of Chinese sourced Hikvision 3MP IP Cameras for home use.

The cameras are great except for an issue that occurs during daylight hours where the image alternates between bright (less contrast/more brightness) to dark (more contrast/less brightness) every second or so.

The subject image is a well sunlit area with light colour paving that reflects the sunlight and some darker grassed areas.

The alternating between light/dark affects both cameras I've installed as they roughly look into the same space. So I can rule out a faulty camera.

The fluctuating image is playing havoc with the motion detection which sees the fluctuation as a motion event and records almost continuous.

The images settle down in from midday onwards where the fluctuation completely stops.

The cameras are pointing down. there is no direct sunlight into the camera lenses and in fact the sun is behind the cameras for the whole day.

The alternating light/dark appears to be something like the iris opening/closing due to the bright subject matter.

I've turned off Back Light Compensation. Auto white Balance is ON. Digital Noise reduction is set to NORMAL. Sensitivity is NORMAL.

I'll try to post an image or short video clip but I haven't worked out how to upload that yet.

LINK TO VIDEO CLIP ADDED:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tlntmqf8vrb5tf/Hikvision%202CD3332%20Problem.mp4

(10 second clip - 3 mb)

Edited by Guest

can u upload a video on youtube and post the link here?

Hi, I've recently installed a couple of Chinese sourced Hikvision 3MP IP Cameras for home use.

The cameras are great except for an issue that occurs during daylight hours where the image alternates between bright (less contrast/more brightness) to dark (more contrast/less brightness) every second or so.

The subject image is a well sunlit area with light colour paving that reflects the sunlight and some darker grassed areas.

The alternating between light/dark affects both cameras I've installed as they roughly look into the same space. So I can rule out a faulty camera.

The fluctuating image is playing havoc with the motion detection which sees the fluctuation as a motion event and records almost continuous.

The images settle down in from midday onwards where the fluctuation completely stops.

The cameras are pointing down. there is no direct sunlight into the camera lenses and in fact the sun is behind the cameras for the whole day.

The alternating light/dark appears to be something like the iris opening/closing due to the bright subject matter.

I've turned off Back Light Compensation. Auto white Balance is ON. Digital Noise reduction is set to NORMAL. Sensitivity is NORMAL.

I'll try to post an image or short video clip but I haven't worked out how to upload that yet.

I had the same exact issue on my dome (also the Chinese version) but I'm not sure what I did to correct it. A couple of things I've done since purchasing the camera; I've updated the firmware and at some point, restored to factory defaults.

I also thought it could be the sun beating on the camera and I haven't ruled that out yet since it's Fall time and not as hot.

I haven't seen the flickering in about 2 weeks.

Increase the switch time, looks like it's switching 1 per second, change it to 10-20 seconds which is common in other cameras. It's in the image menu. Also change sensitivity to low, that may help, normal is the default.

I had this issue with a camera...I hard reset everything back to defaults and upgraded the firmware and it went away.

Ok so I've tried a few changes to the settings including turning ON the BLC (Centre) and still no joy.

Tried contacting the supplier to see if they can offer some advice.

I will try resetting the camera to defaults and installing the 5.0.5 firmware but I suspect they will do little to improve the situation.

I recall having a similar issue on an analogue dome camera. Can't recall why/how the problem finally went away.

My camera vendor has finally come back with a response saying that this phenomena is "normal" for this class of camera.

If I don't want the image to flash bright/dark during sunny days that I should be buying a camera with HLC (High Light Compensation).

Can anyone tell me if I'm being fed a lot of bull?

I don't think HLC should be necessary to prevent a camera from having this problem. Surely the camera should be able to cope with normal outside sunny conditions without this effect?

Is anyone else with Hikvision 3MP "2CD" series of camera's having the same problem?

My camera vendor has finally come back with a response saying that this phenomena is "normal" for this class of camera.

If I don't want the image to flash bright/dark during sunny days that I should be buying a camera with HLC (High Light Compensation).

Can anyone tell me if I'm being fed a lot of bull?

I don't think HLC should be necessary to prevent a camera from having this problem. Surely the camera should be able to cope with normal outside sunny conditions without this effect?

Is anyone else with Hikvision 3MP "2CD" series of camera's having the same problem?

mine had that problem. but they were connected to the swann nvr. firmware upades around and factory reset solved my problem.

Did you reset and install the latest firmware?

Post another video, longer than a few seconds.

None of mine do this.

i've just found one of these i installed 2 weeks ago doing the exact thing...

Its connected to a hik 4 chn nvr.

at the same site i had another hik camera go green then live image and repeat then die..

where can i get the firmware to update ?

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this issue. i'll try firmware and defaults (which seems to fix most things)

This problem was reportedly fixed in Version 5.1.2. firmware according to the release notes. At least that's what I interpreted the note as meaning.

Taken from 5.1.2 release notes:

"Solved: Cameras with 3MP may flicker in high light scene"

I haven't had the problem since updating but I think the issue for me only occurs during the summer months when the sun is a lot more intense and objects in the scene are particularly bright and contrasty.

Next summer will be the true test.