UserM

Hikvision Raptor 5.1

Can you tell us some of the new features in 5.1? I'd rather not install the beta since we have these in production and they are working fine.

Thanks for the link....ok, so I jumped onto installing on my spare camera because I made the mistake of updating to 5.0.5 and it was a big dissapointment.

This is what I have seen as the differences in the few minutes that I played with the 5.1 BETA firmware.

First of all, the Webcomponents activex stopped working under 5.0.5 for Internet Explorer 11....it seems to be working now. On the last firmware I could only get it to work under Firefox.

New settings and changes are as follows:

LOCAL CONFIGURATION --> Live View Parameters --> Image Format - (JPEG / BMP)

LIVE VIEW

You now have a dropdown box where you can selection either "Webcomponents" or "Quicktime" as the video renderer.

BASIC CONFIGURATION

--> System - Encoding Version has been updated to 5.0 Build 131127

--> Image - Settings have been grouped into drop down menus. Everything looks the same expect the GAIN setting has been moved from this menu and a new setting added under VIDEO ADJUSTMENT group called "Capture Mode" (ON/OFF).

ADVANCED CONFIGURATION

System --> Service - New Tab appeared that contains two settings "Enable IR Light" and "Enable Telnet"

Both are selection boxes only without any other parameters. Assuming the Enable IR Light allows you to over-ride the internal light sensor.

Can confirm that can also Telnet into the camera with the Username/Password that gets you into the Web interface.

Network --> 28181 (A new tab with a bunch of settings for 28181 protocol. Not familiar with this. Maybe someone could enlighten me.)

Events --> Motion Detection

They have added an extra configuration option (NORMAL or EXPERT). It appear normal allows only one bunch of settings for all regions but the expert mode allow the option of different sensitivities for each region plus allows selection of Day/Night switch ON/OFF by region??

STORAGE --> Storage Management

A number of settings to allow setting of Quota Size Capacity for % of Pictures vs % Recording (by default its 25% Picture and 75% Recording).

There might be more but I haven't found it yet.

Some more testing over the next couple of days to see if it finally fixes my problem with the image alternative "Bright/Dark" in high brightness situations outdoors. Lets hope so.

That's odd that it's not on the Hikvision Euro site. The two features people were hoping would be in 5.1 are;

1. the ability to turn the IR LEDS off but still use day/night mode

2. the ability to work with more generic NAS devices, but hopefully also enable the use of SMB or CIFS (Windows mount) which is popular on low cost NAS devices.

Don't know if there's a way to tell that without trying it, but maybe there's changes to the storage screen and an option on the image screen to turn off IR LEDs.

The option to turn off the IR Led's independently of the light sensor is there....its under the System -> Service TAB.

I haven't tried it yet....still daylight but I didn't really need it either.

I don't use a NAS to record so I cant test if there has been any changes there either...maybe someone else will try.

So far stable....no issues that I've come across.

Forgot to mention....I have the Chinese domes....

They did added SMB/CIFS option under NAS settings, however, I am having an issue making it work with FreeNAS, if anybody with experience wants to do any testing please get in touch with me, my cam is not in production.

I hope one day these camera makers will get rid of the need for Microsoft IE ActiveX controls.

I have many 5.0.x cameras that already work great under Firefox and Chrome...

Yes, I use mine with Safari on my Mac, you don't need IE, don't even need Windows.

That's awesome that they support CIFS, I'll have to test that soon. You don't even need FreeNas, just create a Windows share on your PC.

I hope one day these camera makers will get rid of the need for Microsoft IE ActiveX controls.

With the ActiveX plugins?

I want to be able to use them on Linux and a chromebook.

With the ActiveX plugins?

I want to be able to use them on Linux and a chromebook.

Without. I do not use "IE tab" oir any other kind of complement so Firefox/Chrome can run Activex/IE on a tab...

Don't really know for sure what they are using instead of Activex. Quicktime? VLC? No clue, the first time you connect to the cameras they make you download an EXE, run it, and they work then from IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc. Can't really tell you if they will work at all on Linux, I have never tried it, but under Windows at least now they can work from any browser.

On this latest beta software that I installed on one camera, on the liveview page, there is a pull down, on my windows PC it lists WebComponents / Quicktime / VLC and MPEG.

I do have VLC installed on the PC, I don't have quicktime.

The VLC selection works really nice, 16x9 ratio, no need to select any ratio. But once you leave that page and come back, you have to select VLC again.

Maybe they're working on this. Quicktime and MPEG wouldn't show anything for me. I shall try it on a chromebook later on today.

I hope that they transition this change to the NVR too.

That's interesting because the 5.1 BETA that I downloaded from Hikvision.com only lists Webcomponents and Quicktime as the only renderer options.

What version are you using and where did you source it may I ask?

I discovered that the VLC and MPEG renderer options only show up under Firefox but not under Internet Explorer (at least version 11 anyway).

When I tried Firefox all four options were available however, selecting the MPEG option returned a Username/Password dialogue box and something about API?? Might be unfinished portion of the firmware.

Incidentally, I also tried the link to the Russian Hikivision site with the alleged 131202 build 5.1 but after loading on my camera, the camera would not start up...the IR led just stayed on and not much else. Could not get the SADP software to see the camera.

Fortunately, I was able to use the TFTP method to restore the camera to working state with the 5.1BETA.

Can report all stable so far. Now installed on four 2CD3332 cameras.

Any indications of when the full stable version will be released? Keen to see if it resolves an issue I have where the 2cd2032 cameras will only use about 2.6TB out of a 4TB NFS share. Looks as though it might be a limitation on the cameras as they don't detect the full 3.5 TB formatted size of the volume.

I have been testing the BETA firmware for a couple of days now on a NC-KD032

Disabling IR works but you have to reboot the camera after you save.

No luck getting the camera to record to my NAS

Motion detection no longer works with Avigilon.

There is a new option for SVC streams. Interesting to see if any VMSs will support this. Vivotek had this option to but I don't think it ever gained any traction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Video_Coding

I have been testing the BETA firmware for a couple of days now on a NC-KD032

Disabling IR works but you have to reboot the camera after you save.

No luck getting the camera to record to my NAS

Motion detection no longer works with Avigilon.

There is a new option for SVC streams. Interesting to see if any VMSs will support this. Vivotek had this option to but I don't think it ever gained any traction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Video_Coding

SVC works with the IVMS software, reduces the stream size for live view atleast.