ronwood

Lightning / surge issue

Over the last year I’ve had to replace several PoE switches & IP cams due to lightning. I can’t afford to keep replacing this equipment & need some help from the professionals.

Here is my system:

•IP cameras: ACTI KCM-5611’s, GeoVision BL3410’s, & misc. Geo 3MP domes, PTZ

•Switch: ZyXEL GS1910-24HP PoE+

•UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

•Standalone surge protectors: APC PNET1GB

•NVR: Custom PC tower

Here is what I have done to try to eliminate the issue:

•Whole house surge system installed at the meter base, by the utility company.

•Extra ground rods installed at the meter base.

•UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation connected to the PoE switch & NVR.

•Standalone surge protectors with 8’ ground rods connected to each IP camera that’s having surge issues.

•Fiber optic internet service.

None of my cameras are mounted to a metal surface or high up on a pole. They are either mounted under a vinyl soffit or to the side of a wood structure.

The 3 cameras that are always going out during a storm are installed approximately 275 feet away with buried cat5 cable. Those 3 cameras have standalone APC surge protectors installed on each camera with 8 foot ground rods driven into the ground.

Almost every time I have a lightning storm the ports on the PoE switch go out & at least one of the cameras connected to the 275 ft buried cable gets fried. The UPS will show an alert (surge/brownout), but the whole house surge protector (connected to the meter base) has never indicated a surge.

Today we had a very small storm with some lightning in the sky. I immediately checked my system and noticed the UPS had an alert & most of the ports on the switch were fried. However, the meter base surge did not show any alerts and all of the IP cameras are fine.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

…sorry for the long post

Over the last year I’ve had to replace several PoE switches & IP cams due to lightning. ...

Almost every time I have a lightning storm the ports on the PoE switch go out & at least one of the cameras connected to the 275 ft buried cable gets fried.

First, a protector does not report the existance of a surge. Only grossly undersized protectors fail. The UPS could only report an AC anomaly (low voltage) that occurred long after a surge had terminated. However why that low voltage existed can be an informative symptom. We leave that for later consideration.

Second, damage to an IP camera or POE means a current was incoming and outgoing through that defect. Of course, identifying exactly which wire conducted that current would go a long way to better identifying that path.

Third, I see reference to a protector at the distant camera. Does that RG45 protector (claim to) connect all eight ethernet wires as short as possible to the adjacent earth ground. And was it designed for higher POE voltages rather than lower standard ethernet voltages? POE voltages can disconnect a protector only designed for standard ethernet.

See the curled ground wire on that RG-45 protector picture? Hopefully that wire is straightened. A curled ground wire compromises protection.

Four, I do not see where an RG-45 protector also exists where the same ethenet wire enters the house. And makes a short connection (ie 'less than ten foot' with not even sharp wire bends) to an earth ground electrode used by AC electric, cable, and telephone.

Five, look closer at the camera. For a surge to find earth destructively means it also must have an incoming and outgoing. path. If the protector is not for POE, then protection on some RG-45 wires has failed. Then that wire can be a potentially destructive path through the camera.

Is the camera metal? Then its metal frame is also a conductor and must connect to earth ground (that the RG-45 protector also connects to). Every electrical path into that camera must connect short to earth either directly (ie the frame) or via the protector (all eight ethernet wires). Also a ground wire must not be inside metallic conduit.

I am assuming each camera does not have a separate power cable; only used POE for power.

Six, view the POE port. Obviously only that one port is in a destructive path since it is the only one damaged. But which wire? If possible, that detail goes a long way to better identifying a destructive incoming and outgoing current path. Again, if a 275 foot wire is not earthed (via a protector) where it enters the building, then this is a potential incoming path for damage.

Seven, lightning strikes earth distantly. Its 3 mile path through earth from the strike location to earth borne charges comes to the earth ground for that camera. The electrically shorter path is up that earth ground into the camera, through the 275 wire where no earth ground connection exists at the building entrance. Then into the POE port and out its AC electric cord to earth.

Yes that surge does pass through many items. But only one or a few items in that path are damaged. Others components conducted a surge without damage or are overstressed (will fail months later).

But again, the shortest 3 mile path from strike to charges is up one earth ground, through the cable, and back to earth on another earth ground. If that path remains outside the POE and camera, then no damage. If that path out of or back to earth is electrically shorter via camera or POE port, then electronics can be damaged.

Eight, the amount of speculation diminishes by identifying each damaged part or relevant wire that was on a path from the surge to earth. The first thing I would consider is how every wire at both ends of the 275 foot cable connects to earth.

Is the RG-45 protector for POE or only for lower voltage ethernet? Does the protector at both ends make a short as possible connection to earth? Does the ethenet cable also have a shield that is not earthed as each end? Best connection from cameras protector to earth is where the wirer rises from earth. Since a decreased distance from that wire to earth and an increased distance between camera and protector increases protection.

As noted earlier, any curls, sharp bends, ground wire inside metallic conduit, or unnecessary splices will increase impedance and compromise protection.

Nine, another trick that makes surge damage less likely is a buried ground wire from the camera earth ground electrode to the building's single point earth ground electrode. In parallel with the 275 foot cable. That means a distant lighting strike need not connect to the house earth ground by traveling up the camera's ground and use ethernet wires (inside the 275 foot cable).

Just a few ballpark ideas.

Finally, a dead body is always best evidence. What specific parts are damaged because a surge current passed through them? Both on the POE and camera? Those 'dots better define fewer lines'; better identify a destructive current path to earth. Seriously limits the number of potential suspects.

The RG45 protectors I have claim to be for PoE. Their website states “Data Lines Protected (multi-line only) 1-8”. See below link for the specs.

APC PNET1GB

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=pnet1gb&tab=models

The RG45 protectors are only installed at the camera end, not where it enters the house…an expensive lesson learned.

We’ve not had a serious lightning storm since I installed them, but this last small storm did NOT get the cameras. Just the PoE switch was damaged. It burnt out 16 of the 24 ports. The 8 ports still working are connected to cameras that are attached to the house, not the 275 ft buried cables. I’ve never had a lightning issue with the other cams, NVR, router, etc. Just the PoE switch and the cameras connected to the 3 buried Cat5 cables.

1) When installing the RG45 protectors where it enters the house should I install a separate ground rod or can I connect it to the ground wire from an existing electrical outlet, junction box, etc?

2) At the camera end, are you saying its best to place the RG45 protectors away from the camera & as close to the earth / ground rod as possible? Right now the RG45 protector is approx. 1-2 ft from the camera and approx 8 ft from the earth.

3) All the cameras are metal. Can I just jump a wire from the camera housing to where the RG45 protector connects to the ground rod? What gauge of wire?

4) If anyone knows of a better RG45 protector than I have (APC PNET1GB) please let me know.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

A buried cable will do it every time. It's a lightening rod in the ground. You need protectors on both ends. Real protectors like these:

http://205.186.133.46/telecom/products/view/301-4-6-pair-cat5e

Fuses like these:

http://205.186.133.46/telecom/products/view/75--5-75v-solid-state-module-with-ptc

And both ends grounded.

That's why I always push for wireless or fiber links.

1) When installing the RG45 protectors where it enters the house should I install a separate ground rod or can I connect it to the ground wire from an existing electrical outlet, junction box, etc?

2) ... best to place the RG45 protectors away from the camera & as close to the earth / ground rod as possible? ...

3) ... Can I just jump a wire from the camera housing to where the RG45 protector connects to the ground rod? What gauge of wire?

The overall concept: A 'tech note' best demonstrated an installation. Two structures are shown, Any wire (overhead or underground) that enters either structure must first connect (low impedance) to the structure's earth ground before rising up to enter.

http://www.erico.com/public/library/fep/technotes/tncr002.pdf

Replace their antenna with your camera. Your installation should be similar.

Note a more extensive earth ground around their building. It features multiple earth ground rods. That is one big single point earth ground. If your earth ground is not as extensive, it still must make a low impedance (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to any cable TV wire, a telco 'installed for free' protector. and the 'whole house' protector. And to any other wires that might be incoming including the 275 foot cable (even well pump should be considered).

A connection to earth is either direct (ie cable TV) or via a protector (all other incoming cables).

Best protection means all connect to earth ground at a common point. Sometimes previous linemen mistakes make that impractical. A utility 'tech tip' demonstrated good and bad earthing. And a kludge solution when a preferred solution is impractical:

http://www.duke-energy.com/indiana-business/products/power-quality/tech-tip-08.asp

Two underlying principles are conductivity and equipotential. Everyone understands conductivity in terms of low resistance and more ground electrodes. However conductivity is also about lower impedance (ie no sharp bends in a wire that is every foot shorter). Equipotential is why incoming cables are best connected to the same electrode and why better earthing surround the building for just a little more protection. In essence, multiple earth ground rods or an even better wire loop makes potential underneath the building at a constant or equipotential. Those are underlying principles.

A more pragmatic explanation: A 275 foot cable entering without first connecting to earth means strike near to or well beyond the camera might find a better connection to earth via the POE port (as explained in the previous post). It explains damage to one port or to electronics that control a group of ports.

A strike to one structure can be a direct strike to electronics in the other structure. This not only applies to your situation. It is also explains why communication cables (even your phone) are earthed at both ends. Why any ethernet that interconnects two buildings must also meet the same standards 'single point ground' requirements. And why your 275 foot cable must connect to the building's single point ground as explained in three paragraphs above.

Best location for a protector is where a connection to earth is as short as possible. For example, cable TV must drop down and connect to earth before rising up to enter the building. If that cable enters a second floor with a longer wire down to ground, then protection is compromised. Your cable to the camera should meet the same 'as short as possible connection to earth' requirement.

A ground wire from camera metal to earth is typically 12 gauge (green insulated). That is what code typically calls for. However just as good earthing can probably be 14 or 16 AWG. But it should be solid (not stranded) - to reduce adverse corrosion. Connect to the common electrode.

Of course, protector being near to earth might also create environmental problems since I think that APC protector is only for interior service. Being near to earth might create additional physical, moisture, salt, and even snow problems.

Other notes: 5 pin devices provided by ssmith10pn really are not fuses. Those are protectors. For example, fuses take milliseconds or longer to trip. Are mostly for disconnecting power after damage results. And work by disconnecting. Protectors operate in nanoseconds. Leave a connection intact after a surge. And work by shunting; not disconnecting. IOW a fuse and protector are two completely different devices (even if both share a common package).

Other notes: 5 pin devices provided by ssmith10pn really are not fuses. Those are protectors. For example, fuses take milliseconds or longer to trip. Are mostly for disconnecting power after damage results. And work by disconnecting. Protectors operate in nanoseconds. Leave a connection intact after a surge. And work by shunting; not disconnecting. IOW a fuse and protector are two completely different devices (even if both share a common package).

True,

We just call them fuses out of habit in the communication trade instead of "Module"

We just call them fuses out of habit in the communication trade instead of "Module"
Previous technology protectors were called 'the carbons'.

Hi everyone! I'm new on this forum but an old reader, great forum!

I'm going to instal my IP cameras system, most of them will be outdoor.

My big concern is about outdoor LAN network construction!

Few questions:

1. Outdoor LAN lines underground or overhead is the best option for surge protectors to work right? I am confused which option will work best!

2. Outdoor grade, grounded SFTP/FTP in plastic conduit/duct or in an grounded metal conduit/duct?

3. Probably if in an grounded metal conduit/duct an outdoor grade UTP will work?

4. Also for multiple LAN lines in the same conduit/duct plastic or metal, SFTP/FTP is better do not interfere with each one?

Any suggestion experience will be great!

Those 3 cameras have standalone APC surge protectors installed on each camera with 8 foot ground rods driven into the ground.

If these cams are on their own ground rod, that is probably part of the issue. You want everything tied to a common ground so all equipment is at the same voltage potential. Separate ground rods are going to be at different potentials during a surge event which is going to cause current to flow(unless they are tied together with some heavy copper)

EDIT: just realized this is a pretty old thread....but still helpful for reference purposes

Those 3 cameras have standalone APC surge protectors installed on each camera with 8 foot ground rods driven into the ground.

If these cams are on their own ground rod, that is probably part of the issue. You want everything tied to a common ground so all equipment is at the same voltage potential. Separate ground rods are going to be at different potentials during a surge event which is going to cause current to flow(unless they are tied together with some heavy copper)

EDIT: just realized this is a pretty old thread....but still helpful for reference purposes

Old or not, its absolutely fascinating!

Since my last post, I’ve removed the cameras that were connected to the 275ft buried Cat5. No matter what I tried, the POE switch was always damaged during thunder/lightning storms. However, the cameras were never damaged??

Here’s what I had – Each camera had surge protectors and 8’ ground rods installed at each end of the Cat5 cable where it left the earth (2 protectors & 2 ground rods per camera).

I’m still open to all suggestions? What success stories do other people have with POE cameras & switches attached to buried Cat5?

What is the best method to connect / stream IP cams from one building to another building, gate, etc.?

Since my last post, I’ve removed the cameras that were connected to the 275ft buried Cat5. No matter what I tried, the POE switch was always damaged during thunder/lightning storms. However, the cameras were never damaged??

Here’s what I had – Each camera had surge protectors and 8’ ground rods installed at each end of the Cat5 cable where it left the earth (2 protectors & 2 ground rods per camera).

I’m still open to all suggestions? What success stories do other people have with POE cameras & switches attached to buried Cat5?

What is the best method to connect / stream IP cams from one building to another building, gate, etc.?

why u still use 2 different ground rods per camera. More than that entire system(including power lines) as I understand should share the same ground.(single pont grounding). Now u still use at least 3 diferent grounds( 2 ground rods per camera and house's power line ground).

My big question remain the same:

Best way to run Copper Lan Lines, Overhead or Underground ????

Here is a link where I can understand that Underground in grounded metal conduit is the right way to go:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/oh5iy/back/Ham%20Radio%20Lightning%20Protection.html

why u still use 2 different ground rods per camera. More than that entire system(including power lines) as I understand should share the same ground.(single pont grounding).

Even that link shows separate single point grounds for separate structures.

A camera 275 away cannot be earthed to the house single point earth ground. It must have its own single point earth ground. It does. Apparently the problem lies in the earthing of the house. Apparently an RG-45 cable does not make a low impedance (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to the building's single point earth ground. So a surge finds a better earth ground destructively via the POE switch.

More could be said if answers to questions in previous ten point were provided. For example, which wire is carrying the surge? RG-45 has eight wires. Which one carries a surge destructively into what part of the POE router?

POE involves higher voltages than ethernet. So a POE compatiblity protector (for RG-45) must state it will handle POE voltages. Otherwise the protector can burn out long (no longer exist) before any surge exists.

Router damage implies a building's single point earth ground is somehow compromised (too much impedance) or may not exist (ie connection via protector burned out).

That citation provides some useful lessons. For example a 30 meter connection of hefty 2 AWG copper ground wire creates how much voltage difference end to end? 1,500,000 volts. This example demonstrates why the connection to single point earth ground is so critically important. Why it must be less than 10 feet. Why a connection to single point earth ground must not be in metal conduit and must not have any sharp bends. And why every foot shorter seriously increases protection.

Also discusses problem creators such as other wires entering the building (ie unused phone line that was not earthed).

Most important is best evidence - the dead body. To eliminate damage means identifying each specific internal parts damaged. To identify which path - specifically which wire - is carrying a surge. The useful lessons in that citation say same. He identified each reason for damage. Only then was the reason for damage eliminated.

Well I admit I am not a 'surge protection expert' by any means, but I have been taught to make sure everything is tied to a single grounding point to avoid creating 'ground loops'. We get quite a bit of lightening activity in Wisconsin during the spring/summer months and besides direct strikes(which NOTHING is going to stop) we rarely have issues, whether its analog CCTV cams or IP/network equipment.

When I deal with outdoor cat5 runs:

-I use shielded cable(STP)

-I isolate the camera and cable from ground at the outdoor/camera side of the cat5 line

-I use a surge protector at the head-end which is grounded to the same point as all head-end equipment(switches/router/nvr/etc)

-This protector has served us well: http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-indoor-high-power-10-100-base-t-shielded-cat5-lightning-surge-protector

-if incoming internet service is Cable, make sure the line is well-grounded where it enters the building. The CATV installers in my area always half-ass it. Either the ground lug is only finger tight, or even worse they will stuff the ground wire somewhere so it just *looks* like its grounded...

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. I'm usually on here several times per week trying to learn from the experts.

Edited by Guest

Well I admit I am not a 'surge protection expert' by any means, but I have been taught to make sure everything is tied to a single grounding point to avoid creating 'ground loops'. We get quite a bit of lightening activity in Wisconsin during the spring/summer months and besides direct strikes(which NOTHING is going to stop) we rarely have issues, whether its analog CCTV cams or IP/network equipment.

When I deal with outdoor cat5 runs:

-I use shielded cable(STP)

-I isolate the camera and cable from ground at the outdoor/camera side of the cat5 line

-I use a surge protector at the head-end which is grounded to the same point as all head-end equipment(switches/router/nvr/etc)

-This protector has served us well: http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-indoor-high-power-10-100-base-t-shielded-cat5-lightning-surge-protector

-if incoming internet service is Cable, make sure the line is well-grounded where it enters the building. The CATV installers in my area always half-ass it. Either the ground lug is only finger tight, or even worse they will stuff the ground wire somewhere so it just *looks* like its grounded...

• I have Fiber Optic internet service so that was not the source of the problem.

• The ground system at the house was checked numerous times by the power/utility company & certified electricians. All of them said the ground at the meter base was excellent.

• The meter base also has a whole house surge system installed by the utility company…It’s never indicated a surge.

• The 275ft buried cat5/RG-45 cable was attached to POE Surge protectors within 1-2 feet of the cable leaving the earth (Camera side & POE switch side). The protectors were attached to 8’ ground rods. I used these POE surge protectors - APC PNET1GB http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PNET1GB

• The cameras were mounted to a wood (not metal) building.

• The POE switch, cameras, and NVR are connected to a Pure Sine Wave UPS. This model – Cyber Power CP1500PFCLCD - http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html

I’ve NEVER had damage to any of my other equipment (NVR, router, cameras, PC, TV’s, VOIP device, etc).

Just the POE ports connected to the 275ft buried cable. After replacing FIVE fried poe switches, I unhooked the cameras connected to the buried cable…I’ve not had any issues since & we’ve had some bad lightning storms.

Hope this helps someone not make the same costly mistakes I’ve made.

I would still love to know how to eliminate this issue in the future and what I did wrong??

As stated previously it's my belief that your problem is caused by all the different(un-bonded) ground rods. With separate ground rods you are introducing multiple paths to ground which can actually cause current to flow between them. Surge damage is caused by current flowing from a point of higher voltage to a point of lower voltage- you want to try to keep everything at the same voltage potential, which is why I've always been taught its best to use a SINGLE grounding point for all interconnected equipment.

For example- possibly the nearby strike is closer(either electrically or physically) to your 'building' ground rod(s), which will cause your 'building' ground to be at a higher voltage for a split second than the separate ground rods at your cat5 surge protectors- which is causing current to flow over the cat5 from your from your PoE switch in the building to the ground rods at the cams.

Are you using shielded cat5 for the underground cable?

Also curious what PoE switch are you are using? EDIT: nevermind....in the 1st post...

As stated previously it's my belief that your problem is caused by all the different(un-bonded) ground rods. With separate ground rods you are introducing multiple paths to ground which can actually cause current to flow between them. Surge damage is caused by current flowing from a point of higher voltage to a point of lower voltage- you want to try to keep everything at the same voltage potential, which is why I've always been taught its best to use a SINGLE grounding point for all interconnected equipment.

For example- possibly the nearby strike is closer(either electrically or physically) to your 'building' ground rod(s), which will cause your 'building' ground to be at a higher voltage for a split second than the separate ground rods at your cat5 surge protectors- which is causing current to flow over the cat5 from your from your PoE switch in the building to the ground rods at the cams.

Are you using shielded cat5 for the underground cable?

Also curious what PoE switch are you are using? EDIT: nevermind....in the 1st post...

At first, I didn’t have multiple ground rods (just a single grounding point at the meter base of the house). But after several POE switches being blown up, I added the POE Surge Protectors and separate ground rods (to the buried cat5).

I’m using shielded cat5 cable. I got a spool of underground cable from the local phone company. It’s the same stuff they use. Its 12 pair…I just used 8 & cut the other 4 off.

The switches I’ve tried are Cisco SG300-10MP and ZyXEL GS1910-24HP PoE+.

I have several other IP cams on the same switch and never had the first problem with lightning/surges. Only the IP cameras connected to the buried cat5 cable gave me issues. Also, those cameras still work. For some reason the surge always came back to the POE switch and fried some of the ports.

-When you do an install that requires a long underground span of cat5, maybe a driveway cam, what do you do to protect the switch and IP camera from lightning?

Thanks for the help,

I’m using shielded cat5 cable. I got a spool of underground cable from the local phone company. It’s the same stuff they use. Its 12 pair…I just used 8 & cut the other 4 off.

Little details can make a major difference. For example, the protector and earth ground can be good according to the electric company and electrician. But they are only taught about human safety. Your issue is transistor safety. A wire good enough to meet code can also violate what is necessary for transistor safety.

For example, if the ground wire goes out a breaker box, up over the foundation, and down to earth ground rods, then the connection is low resistance and higher impedance. Even those sharp bends over the foudation have compromised protection. If the earth ground from the meter goes into the breaker box inside metallic conduit, then that wire is all but disconnected from the earth ground that attaches inside the breaker box. Both examples are perfectly fine by code, electrician, and power company. But are bad for surge protection.

I am bothered by the 6 pair (12 wire) cat5 cable. A previously discussed ciation made a criticallly important point. Any wire even if disconnected can be a source of surges.

Also discusses problem creators such as other wires entering the building (ie unused phone line that was not earthed).
Those other four wires must connect directly to earth since the protector will not connect them to earth. Also the shield must have a direct connection. If the shield or any four wires are not earth within feet to the earth ground rod, then those carry a surge into the building bypassing protection. Then the surge connects from one of those four disconnected wires, through insulation, to all other ethernet wires (after the protector).

Again, appreciate why protection can be so easily compromised by such trivial details. Knowing how and why protection works is so important. That citation also showed other simple and easily overlooked mistakes.

Those 'mistakes' are why earthing is an 'art'. The 'art' explains why four disconnected Ethernet wires in that cable could compromise the entire protection system.

Fascinating information, thank you westom!

May I ask how you've learned all of this & is this something you do for work?

Most of this is over my head but I'm hoping some of it will sink in.

Have you tried an isolation transformer on the switch?

EDIT: nevermind, I missed the post about the 12 pair wire. I agree that those leftover pairs need to be terminated to ground.

I also might not hurt to install something like this between the underground wire and the switch. I would install it as close to your ground rod as possible and then run jumpers to the switch from there. Make sure you include those un-terminated pairs on one of these too just to keep things consistent and bonded.

249804_1.gif

249804_1.jpg

Wow, so much great info on this forum! Thanks for everyone’s input.

I have one more question:

I’m thinking about installing a couple of 5MP IP cameras at the end of my drive. They will be powered by POE & overhead lines are not an option. The length will be about 300ft...very similar to what I tried in the past.

Is there a better option than using shielded cat5 to prevent surge issues? (Properly installed cat5, not like I did in the past)

What about fiber, can it be used with POE? How about the fiber connections?

Fascinating information, thank you westom!

May I ask how you've learned all of this & is this something you do for work?

Many decades of design and field analysis also discovered why things fail. But never just fix something. We always had to say why damage happened so that other (ie overstressed) items in that path were also replaced before failing maybe a month later.

Best evidence comes from the dead body. Both for murders and for surge damage analysis.

You were taught what a lightning rod does in elementary school science. What a properly earthed lightning rod does for a structure is what a properly earthed 'whole house' protector does for household appliances. In both cases, either current is connected outside and harmlessly to earth. Or that current is inside hunting for earth destructively via the structure or its appliances.

Thank you again, kind sir.

I suppose my next question may be a little out there...

Can you visualize bringing this knowledge & technology from what I would guess is the large institutional market to the residential market?

Grounding for the masses...