I should have used a question mark.

There is more going on here than my limited experience covers. Both NVR and cameras have DDNS settings as well as the router.

If the router does it's DDNS updating and passes this information down line, why is it necessary for the NVR or camera to also do this?

Ok lets clear a few things about DDNS.

1. You are correct that the ADSL router (usually) has a functioning DDNS service with your prefered DDNS provider (hopefully the few remaining free DDNS providers like no-ip) that updates the DDNS provider automatically with your public (WAN) IP whenever it changes (usually during ADSL resyncs and reboots).

2. Although the (HIK) cameras have a DDSN service update, this service cannot be operated if the camera is connected to the intergrated PoE switch of the (HIK) NVR because the HIK NVR mayNOT allow any service outgoing from the cameras through the NVR lan port to the internet. ( I have not completed entirely the testing of the camera with proper network settings connected to the NVR). The cameras DDNS is functional if the camera is connected to the LAN switch and the recording is done either with an NVR or a PC based solution with the assumption that all devices mentioned, belong to the same sub network of the LAN like 192.168.1.XXX.

3. In the case that the cameras are connected to the NVR PoE switch OR if your ADSL router updats a DDNS provider with a specific host name for your network OR if your ADSL router DDNS is not functioning properly OR if the ADSL router does not support your prefered DDNS provider -although the HIK NVR may support it- AND you want to access the NVR with ANOTHER host name, then you need to update two host names with the same -or even different- DDNS providers. In this case the DDNS updating from the ADSL router is not sufficient, we need an additional DDNS service updating mechanism and a solution would be to use the HIK NVR to update your prefered DDNS provider with the host name of your choise.

The problem is that the triggering mechanism for the DDNS updating by the ADSL router is the resyncing or rebooting and the change of the WAN IP. A computer does not have such a triggering mechanism. This is the reason why many DDNS providers provide a small software utility that runs on a computer all the time and checks and updates the DDNS at predefined intervals. Obviously any WAN IP change within the updating interval is not logged at the DDSN provider and the respective network is not accesible from teh WAN side with the preselected host name during this interval, until the the next DDNS updating.

After a long time I managed to setup and function properly the DDNS of the DS-7604 with firmware 2.3.9beta. The HIK somehow understands when the ADSL router acquires a new WAN IP (for whatever reason irrelevant to the NVR) and updates the configures DDNS provider. A downside to the firmware is that it does not provide any feedback of the response from the DDSN provider. Therefore if your login credentials are not correct and there is an error returned form the DDNS provider, then you do not know it.

I hope the helps to clarify a few things.

EDIT: I have confirmed that the HIK NVR checks at unspecified intervals the WAN IP and updates automatically the DDNS provider wth the new WN IP.

My results:

DDNS active in router, disabled on camera & active on NVR works with IP cam not connected to NVR's POE port. I am able to pull imaging from IPCam Viewer after changing IP and reboot of router.

I then disabled DDNS in NVR, changed IP & rebooted router. Camera connected to POE port and camera not connected through POE port work.

Maybe the NVR needs rebooting?

It seems as though most newer dvr/nvr can act as the updater and nothing further is needed in the router. Or, you can choose the router to be the updater and leave it be in the dvr/nvr. As long as one thing is acting as the updater, which is associated with gear you need it for, it doesn't need to be set in everything. With no-ip, I have two host names in my free account. An nvr I have that is associated with one host name was taken out of line for the time being. In 27 days I got an email saying that host name was about to expire, obviously because the nvr was no longer in line as the updater. So to solve that, I set the router for that host name. My other host name is set in my dvr and that keeps that host name refreshed. So the router is refreshing one host name and the dvr another. As long as one thing is updating the host name, all is good.

....... So the router is refreshing one host name and the dvr another. As long as one thing is updating the host name, all is good.

That is the best solution when one has to update mulitple host names for the same network. Therefore you can have any number of DDNS updaters updating any number of host names in any number of DDNS providers.

I would like also to suggest the use of DNS-omatic (https://www.dnsomatic.com/) service that allows one DDNS updater (say the router) to update one DNS-Omatic account and then DNS-Omatic undertakes to update all host names to DDNS providers that are registered in this DNS-Omatic account. The usefullness is that if the number of the DDNS updating capable devices is less than the number of host names that you must update, then DNS-Omatic is the only solution.

Check this http://blog.pcfreak.de/2010/08/30/mehrere-dyndnsopendns-accounts-mit-fritzbox-aktualisieren/ for a detailed explanantion how to setup the router (or any other DDNS updater that allows a user defined DDNS definition).

For the past one month of operating the HIK 7604NI-SEP NVR with firmware 2.3.9 beta, the DDNS function does not operate reliably. Sometimes it updates the NOIP provider, sometimes it does not.

Is there anyone with a reliable operation of the DDNS function?

For the past one month of operating the HIK 7604NI-SEP NVR with firmware 2.3.9 beta, the DDNS function does not operate reliably. Sometimes it updates the NOIP provider, sometimes it does not.

HIK DDNS works very well on it's own

I do not understand why u use together with no-ip

HIK DDNS works very well on it's own

I do not understand why u use together with no-ip

I use only NOIP DDNS provider. I do not use NOIP in conjuction with another DDNS provider. I prefer the NOIP compared to other DDNS providers.

I use only NOIP DDNS provider. I do not use NOIP in conjuction with another DDNS provider. I prefer the NOIP compared to other DDNS providers.

Ok, understand

I have about 7 customers using HIK DDNS only

and no problem at all

Also it looks like u never tried HIK DDNS

Right ?

I have tried HIK DDNS but I have not been succesfull. In the HIK-online.com site, I have acreated an account, I have added manually the serial of my NVR but in the device status, the HIK DDNS reports that the device is offline and displays a completely wrong IP.

I am absolutely certain that I do not have a network, or router or NAT problem because if I use the domain name that my router updates automatically at the NOIP DDNS provider, I can succesfully access from the WAN my NVR. I use the DDNS updater of my NVR to update another domain in my NOIP account which of course resolves to the same WAN IP as the domain name updated by my router. The NVR updating in the NOIP provider has worked in the past but for some reason it does not work anymore even if I reboot the NVR. Therefore I conclude that my NVR DDNS updater functionality is unstable.

slightly jumping on an older post

but im having issues registering my nvr with hikvision ddns service due to the serial number

its a DS-7616NI-SE / P

and the serial number starts (pasted exactly from NVR with spaces)

DS-7616NI-SE / P1620141***BBRR********WC**

now as the service can only accept "-" not any other character is wont accept it.

Ive tried the short serial code after the BBRR but that also wont work..

can anyone offer any suggestions ?

Your s/n is just 9 digits. It is almost at the end of what you pasted here, those numbers you changed for ***.

Yup, as mentioned I tried that shorter one, in addtion to the full long one

Your s/n is just 9 digits. It is almost at the end of what you pasted here, those numbers you changed for ***.

Yup, as mentioned I tried that shorter one, in addtion to the full long one

Then post details on the error message you get; you said it did not work because it contained "-", which it does not.

Then post details on the error message you get; you said it did not work because it contained "-", which it does not.

no I didnt I said it only accepts that character and not any other

the long serial has a /

so it returns an illegal entry characters can only be -

no I didnt I said it only accepts that character and not any other

the long serial has a /

so it returns an illegal entry characters can only be -

There is no "-" or "/".

The serial number is just 9 digits.

I too have had nothing but trouble with the DDNS service from Hik-Vision. With the only units I have done (DS-7204/7208HQHI-SH), they will not accept any DDNS using the Hik service or my company Dyndns account.

My dyndns account works fine on Dahua and the Verizon Fios router so that's not the issue. I talked to Hikvision in california today and the technician logged into one of the 3 DVR's in question and had no luck either. Mentioned that it is an issue when he tried and got a "not valid" response also. Also I found out that the plug-in for Mac Safari browsers won't do live video however playback worked fine. I guess they are working on a patch for next month.

BTW--can you do continuous recording plus motion like Dahua?, can't seem to do that(not one of the options in the schedule section)

I too have had nothing but trouble with the DDNS service from Hik-Vision. With the only units I have done (DS-7204/7208HQHI-SH), they will not accept any DDNS using the Hik service or my company Dyndns account.

My dyndns account works fine on Dahua and the Verizon Fios router so that's not the issue. I talked to Hikvision in california today and the technician logged into one of the 3 DVR's in question and had no luck either. Mentioned that it is an issue when he tried and got a "not valid" response also.

Very Strange

just in last few days I put few more on HIK DDNS

without any problem

hik-online.com/hiddns.com does work. I have been using it for more than two years. We have almost 200 devices already on our own account, and I have been using it for over two years without a problem. It might be hard to understand the first times, but once you know how it works, it is very easy to use.

We do also have a paid dyn.com account, but I hardly use it any more.

Hi Fantastic forum best info.

Now having a nightmare with hik-online.com

Please anyone help

Setup my 2732F in UK no probs at all worked fine DDNS set up hik-online account with device domain, to make sure it working and all that and it did until i tried to access in Barbados. Now in Caribbean trying to connect to DDNS hik-online.com it states now THAT I AM IN THE WRONG REGION AND NEED CHANGED. I have done that changed to Barbados. Maybe i need to change that somewhere else? But message still coming up:

The device is not registered in the current region, please edit the device DDNS configuration:

1)If the device supports the county selection, please select the country as: Barbados

2)If the device does not support the county selection, please edit the DDNS address as: sadev.hik-online.com

Please help as need to fix this urgently. Flying back to UK in few days.

All help appreciated.

Hi Fantastic forum best info.

Now having a nightmare with hik-online.com

Please anyone help

Setup my 2732F in UK no probs at all worked fine DDNS set up hik-online account with device domain, to make sure it working and all that and it did until i tried to access in Barbados. Now in Caribbean trying to connect to DDNS hik-online.com it states now THAT I AM IN THE WRONG REGION AND NEED CHANGED. I have done that changed to Barbados. Maybe i need to change that somewhere else? But message still coming up:

The device is not registered in the current region, please edit the device DDNS configuration:

1)If the device supports the county selection, please select the country as: Barbados

2)If the device does not support the county selection, please edit the DDNS address as: sadev.hik-online.com

Please help as need to fix this urgently. Flying back to UK in few days.

All help appreciated.

If you had a newer firmware on the cameras, you would get two drop downs on the DDNS section of the camera, and you would select "Europe" and "UK".

If you have an older firmware, since you are in Europe, you should set up your cameras with DDNS serve "eudev.hik-online.com".

Hi thank you for you reply:

tried via http://sa.hik-online.com/view/device/manage the same issue unfortunately. "The device is not registered in the current region"

The only think i can think off is: My router "device ip address for some strange reason different to my public ip address" this info got from (what my ip)

My device ip is: 100.96. x x x x x

And public ip i got from what’s my ip: 104.200.x x x x x

I believe that’s why i cannot get access to my HiDDNS or register my camera. As two ip addresses are different. Yor thoughts?