Hi,

I am building my IP surveilance system (4 x 3mpx cams planned for now). Recently bought hikvision ds-2cd2232 camera from aliexpress and now I need 4-ch NVR.

Looking at shops in Europe, I found pretty cheap DAHUA DH-NVR3108 priced at 170 euro that claims it can record 100fps@1080p (so lets say 4 cameras realtime in 1080p) and HIKVISION DS-7608NI-SE priced at 270 euro with almost no recording info, but I managed to find out it can do 50fps@1080p (someone correct me). Other than 2 x hdd support, what is so special with hikvision nvr since recording specs are nowhere to be found and are pretty low.

What am I missing? I am aware that realtime is maybe not needed for recording and may be overkill for storage, but still why pay twice the money for lower specs recorder at least on paper? Someone enlighted me please

Also are there any good webshops in Europe with surveillance equipment?

Hi,

I am building my IP surveilance system (4 x 3mpx cams planned for now). Recently bought hikvision ds-2cd2232 camera from aliexpress and now I need 4-ch NVR.

Looking at shops in Europe, I found pretty cheap DAHUA DH-NVR3108 priced at 170 euro that claims it can record 100fps@1080p (so lets say 4 cameras realtime in 1080p) and HIKVISION DS-7608NI-SE priced at 270 euro with almost no recording info, but I managed to find out it can do 50fps@1080p (someone correct me). Other than 2 x hdd support, what is so special with hikvision nvr since recording specs are nowhere to be found and are pretty low.

What am I missing? I am aware that realtime is maybe not needed for recording and may be overkill for storage, but still why pay twice the money for lower specs recorder at least on paper? Someone enlighted me please

Also are there any good webshops in Europe with surveillance equipment?

If you have Hikvision cameras, I would go for a Hikvision NVR. With Dahua NVR you won't be able to do motion detection, so you will end up recording 24/7.

DS-7608NI-SE can record 8ch 1920x1080@25fps, total 40mbps bandwidth (5mbps per camera). NVR3108 can also do 8ch 1920x1080@25fps, with 32mbps bandwidth (4mbps per camera).

I was also planning to go with hikvision nvr but nonexisting specs.

Reading specs of model DS-7604NI-S(M) it says:

IP Video input

4-ch 4CIF/720P real time or 2-ch UXGA / 1080P real time or 2-ch 2048*1536/2560×1920 not real time

And model DS-7608NI-S says similar:

IP Video input

8-ch 4CIF real time or 4-ch 720P / UXGA / 1080P real time or 2-ch 2560×1920 not real time

Not that I dont believe you, but just to point out how misleading even official (?) hikvision.com site is.

I am planning to use PoE switch, so thats why I'm looking at -S models only. Is this correct decision?

And model DS-7608NI-S says similar:

IP Video input

8-ch 4CIF real time or 4-ch 720P / UXGA / 1080P real time or 2-ch 2560×1920 not real time

Not that I dont believe you, but just to point out how misleading even official (?) hikvision.com site is.

I am planning to use PoE switch, so thats why I'm looking at -S models only. Is this correct decision?

Older models specifications are not so clear. Forget about the "8ch 4CIF, 4ch 720p, 2ch whatever". You have 8ch and a given bandwidth; and you can share the resources among the number of channels you have, however you want. DS-7608NI-SE can do 8ch and has 40mbps bandwidth. You could do 8ch at 5mbps each. You could also do 4ch 9mbps and 4ch 1mbps. And those 4ch 1mbps could be at 1920x1080@25fps, but the video would be so compressed that the quality would suck big time.

And as UserM says, 7608NI-S and 7608NI-SE are not the same.

Older models specifications are not so clear. Forget about the "8ch 4CIF, 4ch 720p, 2ch whatever". You have 8ch and a given bandwidth; and you can share the resources among the number of channels you have, however you want. DS-7608NI-SE can do 8ch and has 40mbps bandwidth. You could do 8ch at 5mbps each. You could also do 4ch 9mbps and 4ch 1mbps. And those 4ch 1mbps could be at 1920x1080@25fps, but the video would be so compressed that the quality would suck big time.

And as UserM says, 7608NI-S and 7608NI-SE are not the same.

I know S and SE are different models. I am going to run cameras with PoE but dont plan to pay for SE-P model, so thats why I am looking at S model + poe switch. As far as I googled, S is "basic", E has switch included and P has PoE ports. So aren't all 7604 models the same (with optional switch and poe ports depending on E or P naming??). For my 4 camera setup 7604-S model will do with external poe switch, right?

7604NI-SE/P costs around 300eur, and 7604NI-S is about 190eur, and 7604NI-SE is about 250eur. Some might laugh at me being cheap skate, but 100eur is one more camera and I have pretty much limited budget

Confusing for me is datasheet that is stating facts like we are talking about normal non-IP DVR. I get the total bandwidth you all mention and understand I can use it how I want, but why they confuse me? Like I cannot record at 1080p@25fps at 4-5mbit? Bluray rips on the internet are 1080p and around 4+ mbit and they look fine for comparison...

If cost is an issue, and you have a spare PC or even the one you use daily, get some free NVR software and use the savings to buy 2 more cameras. There's several free solutions, some that even include smartphone apps and web clients for remote viewing.

7604NI-S is about 190eur, and 7604NI-SE is about 250eur. Some might laugh at me being cheap skate, but 100eur is one more camera and I have pretty much limited budget

I think 7604NI-S will not support Raptor (ds-2cd2232)!

7604NI-S is about 190eur, and 7604NI-SE is about 250eur. Some might laugh at me being cheap skate, but 100eur is one more camera and I have pretty much limited budget

I think 7604NI-S will not support Raptor (ds-2cd2232)!

Are you sure? Isnt 7604NI-S "base" unit same as all other 7604 models??

If not, what model should I buy then? Btw camera I bought is ds-2cd2332 (dome), but seems like 2232 is bullet in that same class.

@buellwinkle

Well I was hoping to buy dedicated NVR, but since its all complicated I just might consider PC-based NVR. Dont have spare PC at the moment, but since NVRs cost lots of money here I could buy it

Well I was hoping to buy dedicated NVR, but since its all complicated I just might consider PC-based NVR. Dont have spare PC at the moment, but since NVRs cost lots of money here I could buy it

Just be very carefull about your PC so it can decode all your FullHD Channels, since you might want/require syncronised playback of several FullHD/HD channels.

Well first document is from 2011 as I see in pdf, second is from 2013. Also 2013 document says 2232 and 2332 cameras can only record up to 1280x960 Have sent email to hikvision europe office, hope they know something

Hmm after close inspection of both manuals and back pictures, you are right. S is old series 7600NI dvr, and SE is new series. Maybe E is for enhanced So I should get NI-SE model if I decide to go with Hikvision NVR instead of PC based. Thanks for clarification!!

If cost is an issue, and you have a spare PC or even the one you use daily, get some free NVR software and use the savings to buy 2 more cameras. There's several free solutions, some that even include smartphone apps and web clients for remote viewing.

What cpu processor and graphic on PC could handle 6 cameras ? I am interested on this setup. Thanks in advance for your informations.

I was planning to buy something AMD based due to low price, some dual core or quad core amd apu processor socket FM2, but recently found dlink 322L 2bay network video recorder. It comes diskless ofcourse, but claims it can record 9 ip cameras, total bandwidth 90mbit in nvr-only mode or 68mbit in nvr+fileserver mode. Looks like a nas, but its nvr

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DNR/DNR%20322L/Manual/DNR_322L_Manual_EN_UK.pdf

Scratch that, seems like it only supports DLINK cameras

I'm running Milestone which has a free version although I have the pay version. I have 9 cameras, mostly 3MP. I have a first generation Intel i3-540 processor which is about as slow as a modern day Intel Celeron. As a server, I'm using about 15% CPU.

People say that your CPU can be high if live viewing a lot of cameras. This is true, so you can limit this in two ways. You can create multiple layouts that have fewer cameras each, for example one for front vs rear cameras, or indoor vs. outdoor with say 4 cameras each. Also, Milestone has a feature where you can live view sub-streams which are lower resolution for live viewing. After all, having 6 3MP cameras live viewing all at once on a 1080P monitor does not really add much value. The value of the high resolution is in playback after an incident. Just my 2 cents.

I am gonna build my PC NVR on atom, currently only available board is ASRock AD2550-ITX. It should do fine as headless NVR, or so I think.

Also, there is Amd am1 socket x4 5150 25W quad core procesor out, and motherboards have 4x sata ports. I will go with that since its little more cash for more sata and memory expansion.

Before my i3 I used an Atom PC and I'm sure the new Atoms are faster and I had 6 cameras then, did not have a problem with that. The only reason I upgraded to the i3 was Maxicon found these cheap i3 at the time for $250 on eBay from an NVR company going out of business and the issue with the Atom once you start getting more cameras is most have a small case that only holds one hard drive. I think you can build a Celeron with 2 drive bays for close to the same price as an Atom and get twice the power.

What I repurposed my Atom NVR to is a Window Media Server to act a Tivo. To my surprise, it's more responsive and works better than my Tivo.