mav

Q-see 1080P PTZ 12x Optical at Costco

Anyone have any experience with this camera (QCN8014Z)? I'm planning to use it with BlueIris. It appears to have a color and b&w mode. Not sure if it will see IR and, if so, what wavelength.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-1080p-IP-Add-on-PTZ-(12x)-Zoom-Camera.product.100101497.html

Appears to have PoE, but mentions 12W and 22w for the heater. Hmm, didn't think any of my POE switches would do 22w for a single port. Supports an external powersupply as well...

More info here http://qsee.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/174647/1391817341/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk3NDQyMzM2L3NpZC9TQTM5OEtSbA==/filename/QC%20IP%20Camera%20Manual%20v2-1_web.pdf

Hmm, manual claims no IR...

Well, I ordered one. If there's interest, I'll post what I find out from hands-on use.

It's PoE+, so you'll need a PoE+ injector, ping me if you need one. The price is on the high side, surprising from Costco. The U.S. Dahua model is the SD42212SN-HN.

Works well in low light and fairly small, about the same diameter as a typical 4" vandal dome, a little taller.

Thanks Buellwinkle. Doh, shoulda got the Dahua.

Under a time crunch to get one up, so will likely just eat the $ difference. I was thrown off by being unable to google a PTZ 1080p IP camera at this price.

I wonder if we'll see some price drops on this at Costco in the future.

Even at $600, still be the best value out there. The next best to me would be the ACTi B95 at a few hundred more.

Cameras are like computers, they rarely drop prices, just come out with better stuff for the same price but when you think of a PTZ in this price range, that's amazing compared to a year ago and even then, many of those were not even PoE. To give you an example, one of the least expensive Dahua PTZ last year was the SD3282D-GN and was 3X zoom, and was the same price at Costco from Q-See, $600 and the price on that model has not gone down other than distributors trying to dump their inventory, so maybe $500, still not worth it compared to the 12x version. Then when you figure a year ago, Dahua wanted nothing to do with the U.S. and now they are embracing it, even opening a service center this year.

Well, I ordered one. If there's interest, I'll post what I find out from hands-on use.

I'm interested in this one. I have a Panasonic WV-SC385 and I am wondering how this one compares for home use.

The WV-SC385 Panasonic does 1280x960 resolution with 18x optical. They still want quite a bit more for it than this new Q-see (almost double the price). Is that because Panasonic forgot to lower the price over the past 2 years, or does the SC385 have something on this new Q-see? (besides name recognition, U.S. office, higher standards, etc.)

I'm looking to add another PTZ and have been happy with the SC385 but I want full 1080p resolution (and a lower price point) which this Q-see appears to have.

I think the zoom ratio seems kind of close. 1280x18 = 23040 and the Q-see (1920x12 = 23040). Panasonic seems to win on the vertical though (960x18 = 17280 versus the Q-see 1080x12 = 12960).

Buellwinkle, you reviewed the WV-SC385 about 2 years ago. Do you know why the SC385 is still selling at almost double the price of this new Q-see? Any chance you are planning a review of this new Q-see or did you already do one for the similar Dahua? Also, you mention a newer 30x zoom from Dahua you are planning to review. Do you know the model # of the new 30x? Just curious. thanks

SC385 review from 2 years ago:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=377

Well, the camera arrived. Gosh, it's big. For some reason I had this image in my head of something more like a 2" dome camera hung from a support. The housing itself is 8" in diameter, so it's just a little bigger than a 2" dome (sarcasm).

It will be a day or two before I can hang it and get some imagery out of it.

When I think about the tech in a PTZ camera, I'm amazed at how inexpensive they've become.

So, stupid installation question - what does one do with a 3" machine screw/lag bolt that has a removable sheath around it and a nut and washer (hey, keep it clean)? Is that for pole mounting? Even then, I'm trying to imagine how it works... I guess if there was an opposing plate the bolts would be useful.

Any chance you can take some pictures of it with a reference object? I'm just wondering how big this is and if it would be too big!?

Any chance you can take some pictures of it with a reference object? I'm just wondering how big this is and if it would be too big!?

Sure. Will do tonight.

Wish there was someplace locally I could find a corner mount adapter tomorrow. Can't think of any brick & mortars that would have these.

Here's a picture of the camera with a tape measure - sorry, cell phone in low light, so ...

Might be a while before I have sample video up.

Qsee.thumb.jpg.907736b0863c6937e2760d88706e24bd.jpg

If you're installing PTZ's on the house exterior, the weight of the camera is a consideration too. You have to make sure the wall is good, consider any siding/styro insulation when choosing the bolt length. Also make sure you're not hitting electric or plumbing in the wall. Also a VERY big one to consider is the location. Ptz's make noise when they pan and tilt, especially noticeable during preset tours. It is well advised to never install a ptz on an exterior bedroom wall or anywhere someone sleeps at night. You'd be surprised how much whirring noise you hear inside. So be choosy about where you put it and if you can't come up with the right location, consider not installing one.

Thanks Shockwave, good points. Looks like I lucked out on all accounts for my spot of choice.

Outside my office (which has a ton of white noise already), going into some wood fascia of a 100+ yr old house. There's a closet on the other side. Unless they remodeled that closet, it's likely uninsulated. If it's like the wood inside the house, it will be hard as a rock (under 10 layers of paint).

What are your thoughts on a corner bracket about 15 to 20' off the ground? It overlooks my garage, side of the house, our outdoor parking area, my kids play area, and would look down the length of the driveway towards the street. I'd prefer to just put it on the backside of the house so that it's less of an eyesore, but that seems like I'm wasting 90 degrees of potential scanning range. I'm not going to stick it on a post, so a full 360 is out. I could put it on the detached garage which would allow it to see the entire back of the house, but I'd have to dig a trench, etc.

I have some other fixed IP cameras covering entrances to the house.

Anyone else who is a DIY and happens to be reading this, look at the preceding post for the picture. This baby is NOT small, but it should be fun!

Corner mounts are tough because it does make the camera stick out in a big way, from an aesthetics perspective. Putting the camera flush mounted on the very corner of a wall could provide enough dual coverage. Not exactly like a true corner mount, but it can give enough depending on what you need.