Sign in to follow this  
brundon

Power Over Ethernet question

Hello. If I wire 3 cameras to a POE switch and then connect that switch directly to a wireless repeater which is wireless connected to my home network will the 3 cameras get IP's and work correctly?

I ask this because I want to be able to wire cameras to my garage via POE and from there the wireless repeater would connect to my router upstairs so I would not have to run another Ethernet cable directly to the wireless router.

Thanks.

What I use is a 4 PoE port switch attached to a Powerline adapter. The reason is if you put say 3 cameras, 1080P or 3MP I'm assuming, on a WiFi repeater that will put a lot of continuous traffic on your WiFi network and affect performance of other stuff you may care about. Even putting 1 3MP WiFi camera while testing a camera caused dropped frames and I was maybe 10' from the router. If wireless is your only choice, get a pair of bridges, attach the switch to one, then the router to the other via Ethernet and keep that traffic off your WiFi. For example, you can get cheap Ubiquiti Loco's for about $50/each for this, even get the 5ghz to keep them off the crowded 2.4Ghz WiFi band. Still a fraction of the throughput of Powerline.