Sign in to follow this  
mav

Sigh-Squirrels eat CAT6 cable. Lorex IP bullet cam no work

A few weeks back a rodent or toothed bird decided to chew through my cat6 cable that ran to one of my Lorex IP bullet cams (the Costco flavor).

I finally got a chance to pull the remaining cable, cut off the end, put a new RJ45 connector on it and hook it up. Of course, I silicon wrapped it, fastened the wire to the wall, and put the ladder away before I tested it.

The SADP utility isn't seeing it, although the IR lights are on - it's drawing power from the POE switch. I checked the other end of the cable as it was premade and it looked like it was using T568B. I'm not sure which wires POE runs over and I think my Cisco switch would complain.

Any ideas? Dead camera but shorted so the IR lights still come on ? Is that possible? I've pulled the power on it a few times to see if it would reboot, but nothing so far.

Thanks,

Mark

"The SADP utility isn't seeing it, although the IR lights are on - it's drawing power from the POE switch. I checked the other end of the cable as it was premade and it looked like it was using T568B. I'm not sure which wires POE runs over and I think my Cisco switch would complain.

Any ideas? Dead camera but shorted so the IR lights still come on ? Is that possible? I've pulled the power on it a few times to see if it would reboot, but nothing so far.

Thanks,

Mark

Every time I put an RJ-45 connector on I screw-up and reverse the wires - never fails - I can be staring right at it and like (bad) magic they get reversed (so don't ever ask ME to help with wires). My taped up drawing says Data is 1,2,3 & 6 and power is 4, 5, 7 & 8) - I always thought the power was shared over the clock pair so you could do it with 4 wires, but, but not in the POE units we use here - on these, the power is on second two pairs - but I did discover that even if you get the correct pairs, but get them backwards (reverse the wires in that double pair for power - (solid for striped and vice versa), IT STILL WORKS! At least you get power - I discovered that this is because the camera end uses a diode bridge so the (+) and (-) always get corrected on the camera end - so you may have power even if you got them reversed, but if you got the clock and data reversed you WON'T have any data (if this makes sense -I may be saying it wrong). But what I mean is, you can have power, but still have the other wires reversed or incorrect in some fashion. But, I'm guessing you are FAR better at getting the wires in the correct place before you crimp (Like I said - I NEVER seem to!)

If the cam is in reach, a bench test it all I can imagine you can do. But usually, the camera is at the top of a 30 foot peg-less pole ... or not easy to get to. That's the story of MY life, lately [grin].

Good luck.

Rich

Thanks all. It sounds like it's likely to be how I wired the first new connector. I cut the original unknown end off and wired it per T568B, but it did the same thing, so I'm guessing I flipped the original connector. I'm using a EZ-RJ45 Crimp tool which has been pretty brainless when I made other cables. The only thing I can see that I may have done wrong is flip the RJ45 when I put in the wires.

Too dark out now to take care of it, so I'll have to wait until morning to do some debugging. If I had just checked it before I climbed a ladder and "made it permanent", it would have worked fine.

Hmm is SADP seeing your other good cameras? More than a few times I installed SADP on a computer but it just can't detect the camera (could be due to computer or winpcap...) but luckily they had a NVR which could detect it.

Another idea would be to use shielded Cat5e if the camera tests out OK at the bench but not at the installed location.

Not Ethernet communication light on either on the switch - just POE. It's either bad cable or fried camera. I suspect the former. will know in 10 hours or less

Just remember the tab is ALWAYS down on RJ 45's

I have been doing them for 30 years and I'm really good at it but I would still rather punch it down to a jack and use a patch cord.

Patch cords are made of stranded wire and much more flexible.