Sign in to follow this  
ultimase

front door camera

I've been looking around for a camera that I could mount on a suction cup on the glass of my front door. I can't think of a way to get a camera on my front door about body/head level without resorting to a suction cup, like logitech does with their alert camera's. Does anyone have any camera in mind that could do this?

Thanks.

Problem being, quite a bit of the door is actually glass, and I'd for now at least rather not drill into the wood.

The Hikvision DS-2CD6412FWD-10 1.3MP Covert Camera news release and current spec sheet do not show a IP66 Rating.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Press-Release-details.asp?id=2617

http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014011701303853008.pdf

The Axis P1214-E is available today and is IP66 approved.

http://www.axis.com/en/products/cam_p1214e/index.htm

Edited by Guest

Mounting a camera behind glass is not recommended.

Reflections and light leakage is difficult to control.

Also, glass makes it difficult for a clean and professional look.

An external mounted camera (dome or covert) with IP66 rating is best.

Here is a related thread...

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31581

Glass is terrible because at least in the U.S., the glass has to be dual paned, so double the distortion and reflections. But frankly, I don't get it. Even if you could suction cup a camera and it stayed without ever falling to the ground when the door is slammed, you need at least a power cord assuming it's WiFi or a Cat5 cable, so it's going to look sloppy and if you got a cool door, why do you want that?

The other choices are putting a dome next to the door, that's what I do, works for me, covers my entire entrance, really the only way to go with IR LEDs. Or going covert in some way. For example, there's a company here in So Cal that makes a larger junction box with a brass plate for Axis M10 series cameras with an integrated doorbell and slots for the audio, very high end look, about $300-400 for the junction box with brass plate. That would be flush, like where your doorbell is. The other choice is to go with the covert cameras above, drill a hole in the jam next to the door or above the door, or by the door bell.

The Hikvision DS-2CD6412FWD-10 1.3MP is out as I have installed a couple already.

If your front door is covered I see no reason why it will not work as long is water will not hit the lens directly I see no issues.

FYI the Axis outdoor version is NOT a pinhole lens and it SUCKS in low light.

Edited by Guest

That's great that it's out already. Just noticed it on ADI's site.

Thinking about it, installation must present some challenges because if you drill a hole for the camera and it's not aimed as you wish, you need to drill some more. Have you put in a front door? If so, where did you put the box part of this? I know you can't typically mount it above door because there's typically a header beam. To the sides there's usually king and jack studs, lot of drilling. I know in my house, that would be tricky to hide if I put the camera inside the front door, which is in my case is steel and glass, no wood.