PeteCress

HikVision DS-2CD2032-I: Weatherproof Connector?

viz: http://tinyurl.com/mzbh36l

Has anybody figured out what this and how it is supposed to work?

The Hik has a female Cat5 connector, a "Y", and a dongle containing power receptacle - all of which would benefit from being protected from the weather.... and I'm guessing Hik's thingie has a role... But I can't figure out what it is.

??

Edit 2014 04-24 15:53:

OK... Dumb post.

It's intended to be used with a Cat5 wire whose connector is attached after being fed through the thingie... and then the thingie screws on to the cam's female Cat5 receptacle....

Leaving the power receptacle (not needed with POE) to be dealt with by the user.

Hey man, there's never a dumb post! I actually never seen the Hikvision weatherproof connector in action...got any pictures after you installed it?

I've got some pics of the connector, but not installed.

Here's the camera end and the mating hood, disassembled:

227773_1.jpg

And the mating hood partly assembled onto a cable:

227773_2.jpg

227773_1.jpg

227773_2.jpg

so that's how it's supposed to work.. I guess next camera I will install using it.

I actually never seen the Hikvision weatherproof connector in action...got any pictures after you installed it?

I have not installed them yet - maybe in a week or two when I get to the actual site for the final setup.

Right now I'm semi-obsessing about what to do with the power pigtail that is not used if the cam is running on POE.

Thinking that for the sake of neatness maybe just clip it off, make sure one wire isn't touching the other, seal it with some silicon goop and maybe wrap with mastic for good measure.

hmm I would not clip it off unless you get the go-ahead from your vendor, many sellers consider it as physical damage and voids the warranty (even if you put a pig tail back on it and it works fine).

I actually never seen the Hikvision weatherproof connector in action...got any pictures after you installed it?

I have not installed them yet - maybe in a week or two when I get to the actual site for the final setup.

Right now I'm semi-obsessing about what to do with the power pigtail that is not used if the cam is running on POE.

Thinking that for the sake of neatness maybe just clip it off, make sure one wire isn't touching the other, seal it with some silicon goop and maybe wrap with mastic for good measure.

I just tape mine up to the POE cable with electrical tape. Not worth cutting it imo.

227773_1.jpg

227773_2.jpg

I can slide the connector shell up the cat-5 until I reach the end of the male end that will plug into the female connector coming from the camera's pigtail. However, the weatherproof shell isn't large enough to allow the two halves of the weather-proof shell to engage the threads. And, this is using the 100' cable that shipped with the camera.

Please tell me how this is supposed to work! I needed to run my cable thru conduit - so I've already cut off one male end of the supplied cable. In my install I'm using two cables to make my run, so I'll put a female connector on the end I cut off, and the existing male end is to connect to the pigtail female end coming from the camera.

Thanks!

I can slide the connector shell up the cat-5 until I reach the end of the male end that will plug into the female connector coming from the camera's pigtail. However, the weatherproof shell isn't large enough to allow the two halves of the weather-proof shell to engage the threads.

Please tell me how this is supposed to work!

Thanks!

I am not sure what you mean. The 2 screw together. See pic below.

Can you perhaps post a photo of your problem you're experiencing?

screen.jpg.55880c9523defd24dec9d6f1d31f1c43.jpg

Yes, the two halves indeed screw together. The problem I found was that the male connector on the supplied 100 foot cable had extra dimension in length due to the strain relief. I had to chop it off and put a more simple shorter shell of a connector for the RJ-45.

This allowed the RJ-45 to recess completely within the two halves. I'm sure this is what was intended, but I had hoped that the supplied cables that came with the cameras would have allowed use of the weatherproof connection that is integral with the camera's pigtail.

So now I know. This is the only camera I have where the connector would actually be subject to rain although still partially covered.

You have to chop off the old connector anyway since the barrel will only slip over the cable, not an RJ45 plug. Then put on a simple RJ45 plug without the stress relief or hoodie.

Hey Buell,

Yeah, I 'd already done that. In my original post to this thread I mentioned that I already chopped off one end for that very purpose and ultimately I put a smaller connector on where I needed it.

I mounted my two turrets today. Got some practice with adding RJ45 connectors first, since they need to be cut to use the hardware properly.

My guess is that since the supplied hardware only allows waterproofing of the network cable, and the reset button and optional power supply cables are still exposed that they are fine if they get wet--at least I would hope that (maybe if you were actually using a power supply you'd want to protect it). In my case my turrets are under soffits and will never have direct rain on them anyway, just ambient moisture. I took no measures protecting the other two components of the pigtail personally. Not sure if it's right, but based on some pics I found of mounted hikvisions I am sure I'm not the first.

Does anyone know the brand of connector HikVision is using as the water resistant RJ45 connector? I have the same connector on some Q-see cameras but they did not see fit to include the other piece that mates up to the pigtail.

I have Q-see cameras as well. I have spent the better part of 8 hours trying to track this connector down. Q-see has no clue as to what it is or where to get it. Hikvision is getting me a part number since there is not one in their system as of today. Hopefully it will be the same.

I have Q-see cameras as well. I have spent the better part of 8 hours trying to track this connector down. Q-see has no clue as to what it is or where to get it. Hikvision is getting me a part number since there is not one in their system as of today. Hopefully it will be the same.

Dont waste time on it, not worth the hassle, just use coax seal

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Moisture-Proof-Sealing/dp/B00075J4J6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422660615&sr=1-3&keywords=coax+seal

Has anyone just used eletrical tape to wrap all connections really well? I plan on mounting my cameras under eves.

Where I have my connections clearly under the eaves and not subject to direct contact by rainfall or snow, I don't tape them at all. I've had no issues or concerns for 2 1/2 years.

Where I have my connections clearly under the eaves and not subject to direct contact by rainfall or snow, I don't tape them at all. I've had no issues or concerns for 2 1/2 years.

Several of mine are like that, and I recently had my first failure, after about 2 years. Unplugging at the switch didn't help, but unplugging and re-plugging several times at the camera pigtail brought it back online. The Silicon Valley climate is pretty mild, with little rain.

Most of my cams go through junction boxes now, and I tend to wrap the 12V connectors for IR, but some of the network connectors are still exposed.

Does anyone know where to buy these connectors? While they are included with Hikvision camera's, other brands use the same connector on the camera, but don't include the end the goes over your cat 5 cable.

Thanks!

227773_1.jpg

227773_2.jpg

so that's how it's supposed to work.. I guess next camera I will install using it.

I created a few Hikvision videos on how to install these cameras on my yourtube channel. One of my videos shows exactly what you need to do with this waterproofing coupler.

I created a few Hikvision videos on how to install these cameras on my yourtube channel. One of my videos shows exactly what you need to do with this waterproofing coupler.

Appreciate your effort

but you should really learn to terminate Cat 5 ends properly

157825381_ExampleofpoorCat5end.jpg.e8d3efbc71d7207de20cb98c36825077.jpg