ride525

Need help adding HikVision camera to Lorex NVR

I have a POE injector and switch I have the cameras hooked up to. And the Lorex NVR is hooked up to the switch.

I have successfully added the Lorex Cameras manually by doing a search and changing each of the Lorex cameras IP addresses. But I have not been able to add the HikVision camera.

From I've read, I may need to change the password of the HikVision camera to 000000, from the factory Hikvision 12345. But I must be missing a step somewhere of exactly what to do, and how to do this, and get the Hikvision to work on my Lorex.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've seen others get this and Swann cameras working with Lorex NVR.

Thanks,

Jeff

Changed password from Hikvision default of 12345 to 000000 that Lorex uses. Changed HikVision camera Ip address to near what was getting assigned manually by LOREX, to 10.0.0.9.

I can see the camera online now, in Chrome browser. But still don't see it in Lorex NVR.

Suggestions? I know JoeyJoey got this combo of camera and Lorex NVR working.

Thanks

Jeff

After looking at this today, for some reason the LorexNVR is unable to see the Hikvision camera, even after adding it manually.

The Lorex cameras had firmware v5.0.0, the Hikvision has v5.1.2. My thought was to put the Hikvision firmware to v5.0.0 too?

The Lorex NVR 380 firmware was v2.2.7 which is quite behind the current Hikvision releases for the NVRs.

My system uses:

This Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera with Hikvision firmware V5.1.0 build 131202

The NVR is a Lorex NVR280, with Hikvision firmware V2.3.7 build 140411

I haven't gone to the newer Chinese firmware on this camera, but I use v5.1.2 on Lorex Cameras that have the Hikvision firmware fine.

After looking at this today, for some reason the LorexNVR is unable to see the Hikvision camera, even after adding it manually.

The Lorex cameras had firmware v5.0.0, the Hikvision has v5.1.2. My thought was to put the Hikvision firmware to v5.0.0 too?

The Lorex NVR 380 firmware was v2.2.7 which is quite behind the current Hikvision releases for the NVRs.

My system uses:

This Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera with Hikvision firmware V5.1.0 build 131202

The NVR is a Lorex NVR280, with Hikvision firmware V2.3.7 build 140411

I haven't gone to the newer Chinese firmware on this camera, but I use v5.1.2 on Lorex Cameras that have the Hikvision firmware fine.

Many thanks to JoeyJoey for trying to get this to work. What he didn't mention that this very same camera (Hikvision 12mm) worked in his Lorex NVR a year or more ago. I have a newer Lorex 300 NVR, JoeyJoey says it's the same hardwre as his Lorex 200 NVR. The camera continues to work on JoeyJoey's NVR, except now he has Hikvision firmware on it.

JoeyJoey thought maybe downgrading the firmware on the Hikvision camera might enable it to work with my Lorex NVR.

Any thoughts or suggestions to get my Hikvision 12mm camera working?

Thanks,

Jeff

Downgraded the Hikvision firmware twice, which was an adventure in itself. Camera sent from Wrightwood would only take US firmware first time, from 5.1.2 sent, to 5.1.0 US. Then Chinese firmware worked ofine, downgraded 5.1.0 to 5.0.2. The Lorex cameras I have has 5.0.0, with no possible (Lores) upgrades. But still can't manually set up the Hikvision camera in the Lorex NVR.

Called Costco and then connected to Lorex. Lorex Client software can see the camera, and can acutally display the Hikvision camera if it's connected as a device, but NVR still unable to connect to Hikvision camera. Lorex said only the following only are compatible with my Lorex LNR380 even though others have connected to LNR200 series with both Hikvision and Swann.

FLIR, Digimerge, Panasonic, Sony, Dynacolor, Samsung, AXIS, Arecont, Bosch, Canon, Honeywell, Pelco, Panasonic, Vivotek

I really like the 12mm Hikvision camera, it does exactly what I want it to. Any thoughts you have for using it with the Lorex/Swann NVR's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by Guest

Is there a way to put Hikvision firmware on the Lorex NVR?

JoeyJoey did it for the LNR 200 series. I have the LNR 300 series. They are supposed to be hardware alike, but 300 series has more software to get on Lorex Cloud.

He has a bunch of suggestions for how to do put Hikvision firmware on the Lorex. But it likely involves getting a secure code, since the admin/password from Lorex or Hikvision did not work after he did his awhile ago. He got the secure code from Hikvision, but it took about 20 tries before he figured out the "start date", which I think is the date the Lorex was installed.

I'm not sure there currently is a way to put Hikvision firmware on the Lorex NVR.

I have successfully changed firmware on the Hikvision cameras with .dav files.

However, I tried three different NVR firmware versions (different dates) on Europe website, and one on US, and all four .dav files gave a almost immediate "Update Failed".

Any ideas for a NVR that will work well with the Hikvision Chinese cameras? I have $800 invested in the Lorex with 4 cameras, which I can return to Costco. And I have a wonderful 12mm Hikvision camera.

You can get the Hikvision NVR, cost about $380ish + HDD. You also use software from free to cheap to expensive, invest in better cameras instead. Do you have a spare PC? The advantage of software is it can support many different brands. Also, you can get inexpensive PC's that will work for less than the NVR will cost. For example, Dell has a desktop now for $299 that will easily run 8 or more cameras using Hikvision's NVR software which is free. If you later decide you want to get non-Hikvision cameras, there's options out there from free for say limited versions of Axxonsoft, Milestone to cheap like BlueIris, to commercial grade in the $50/cam price range.

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to using an NVR, it's easier and more compact, but not as flexible as a PC. Also, if you go the PC route, you'll need a PoE switch as that's built into the router.

To me the problem with the cheaper bundles while the price is awesome, you do lose flexibility in choosing lens sizes and camera models. I do like my three 12mm Hik bullets though.

Buellwinkle,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We do have two PCs, one desktop that is "on" all the time (it sleeps when my wife is not checking email or Facebook), and my laptop. Which Hikvision NVR software runs on the computer? The "iVMS 4200" software? I found that a bit awkward to use, even more so than the Lorex Client.

I did like the Lorex NVR pretty well, with the exception the Lorex has absolutely no selection of cameras, just a 4mm bullet and a 4mm dome. Swann isn't much better, they also have a 2.8mm-12mm varifocal camera, but both JoeyJoey and the one Costco review said it's very hard to get and keep focus on it. (Like I said, I really like the 12mm bullet.) This is just for my residence, but I'm at a good location to also read license plates for bad guys coming in (or leaving) and the 12mm does a great job of that, at least in the daytime.

And I already have a "POE switch" since I didn't want to have eight wires coming into the house. There is a POE injector to power the camera, and a switch hooked up to it in the garage. That part works great. If I got the $380 Hikvision, I could add a 4TB Seagate HDD from Amazon for $154. (Is it simple to add, just mount it and plug in the cable, and all the software is already on the NVR?) And could I just hook the Hikvision to the internet, and up to eight cameras could be seen by it, correct?

I'm guessing that the Hikvision NVR would work fine with the Hikvision cameras, correct? And there would be software like Lorex to allow viewing over my android phone, and computer or tablets when I am away?

Thanks again,

Jeff

The info on W right woo d's site is a little confusing regarding the Hikvision NVR.

It lists it as model: DS-7608NI-SE/P (40Mbps input) but it is really a DS-7604NI-SE/P (20 Mbps input)

Besides the difference in the number of POE ports, from 8 down to 4, a more important difference is that the DS-7604NI-SE/P has a much lower camera data rate capability.

See the differences here:

http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013111203244068223.pdf

The model number listed should be updated.

The N e llllly site lists the DS-7608NI-SE/P.

These NVRs come with no HD, but its easy to add either one or two HDs.

Tried upgrading the Lorex using the Hikvision firmware files and USB drive. Similar problem.

"Upgrade Failed"

"Firmware mismatch"

After updating the Lorex NVR 280 to the latest 2.3.8 firmware, the Hikvision Chinese camera I have isn't usable at the moment.

Looking in the direct local config screens (not via the web page), I can see that it does indeed see the camera, it reports the model/serial/firmware version, but doesn't quite work.

If I set it to use custom1, it does show up, but not configurable.

I'm going to see if I put the latest 5.1.2 Chinese on the camera, to see what happens. All my other cameras use the English 5.1.2

You can get the Hikvision NVR, cost about $380ish + HDD. You also use software from free to cheap to expensive, invest in better cameras instead. Do you have a spare PC? The advantage of software is it can support many different brands. Also, you can get inexpensive PC's that will work for less than the NVR will cost. For example, Dell has a desktop now for $299 that will easily run 8 or more cameras using Hikvision's NVR software which is free. If you later decide you want to get non-Hikvision cameras, there's options out there from free for say limited versions of Axxonsoft, Milestone to cheap like BlueIris, to commercial grade in the $50/cam price range.

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to using an NVR, it's easier and more compact, but not as flexible as a PC. Also, if you go the PC route, you'll need a PoE switch as that's built into the router.

To me the problem with the cheaper bundles while the price is awesome, you do lose flexibility in choosing lens sizes and camera models. I do like my three 12mm Hik bullets though.

Could I use my desktop PC to just view one (or maybe two) Hikvision 12mm cameras? So, keep the Lorex NVR system with it's included cameras? And record one or two 12mm Hikvision cameras on the desktop PC which is used by my wife for just a bit of email and Facebook, but mostly "sleeps" right now. And what was the Hikvision software you thought would work for this, the iVMS4200? Any other software you would reccommend?

Thanks

Yes, you can use iVMS4200 nvr software, doesn't use much CPU. I have not used it but I believe you can integrate the video from the NVR along with the 2 cameras, so looks like one. Someone that's done it can provide better insight.

For example, Dell has a desktop now for $299 that will easily run 8 or more cameras using Hikvision's NVR software which is free.

Thanks Buellwinkle.

Is the iVMS4200 the free Hikvision NVR software you are talking about here?

I actually like the Lorex Client version of this, it seems easier to use, but maybe because I'm more familar and have used it more.

So I could record, go back and find, and export files if there was an event I wanted to find and share with someone?

I'm planning on using this on a desktop that mostly "sleeps", but is used a few times a day for email and facebook.

Maybe others will have some other thoughts on the iVMS4200 or other software.

Edited by Guest

http://www.hikvision.com/en/download_more.asp?id=1190

I think he means the 'IVMS4200-PCNVR' software, you can download it above.

I think you link goes to the older version of the software, Hikvision iVMS-4200 PCNVR v1.02.00.03 (Windows) third link here:

http://www.hikvision.com/En/download.asp?navid=2

So, wouldn't I want to use the second link Hikvision iVMS-4200 PCNVR v1.03.00.04 (Windows), since it's newer?

But what about the top link Hikvision iVMS-4200 v2.00.02.01 (Windows)? It's the newest version, and the description says it works for NVRs.

Wouldn't that be my best bet of the top three links?

Thanks

You should download the new one if you can find it. Its weird because sometimes I can't find it under client software if i go to their website itself and i have to google ivms4200pcnvr and THEN the link will pop up. So the link i gave you was from google's search lol.

ivms4200 is the CMS software that links together multiple machines.

IVMS4200 PCNVR is also a CMS software but it can format your hard drive and do motion recording directly.

You should download the new one if you can find it. Its weird because sometimes I can't find it under client software if i go to their website itself and i have to google ivms4200pcnvr and THEN the link will pop up. So the link i gave you was from google's search lol.

ivms4200 is the CMS software that links together multiple machines.

IVMS4200 PCNVR is also a CMS software but it can format your hard drive and do motion recording directly.

What's CMS?

It looks like the PCNVR might be better than the top link, sounds like I could add a second hard drive to my currently used desktop and install it on there.

And will I be able to record, then a could of days later go back and view the recording?

(it looks like I can do this, but just checking, as I could not quickly figure it out.)

And could I export part of the recording?

CMS = Central Managament software or Central management systems. Some people call it VMS (video management system/software)

Yea you can do most functions that a real NVR can do.

If you buy a drive, consider the WD Purple drives, same price as others, but they claim to be purpose built for NVR use. I just ordered the 3TB version, $129 shipped from B&H, need to expand my 1TB not holding as much as it used to when I had 1/2 the cameras, LOL.

Yea you can do most functions that a real NVR can do.

Sure looks like it....

I can see lots of features....playback, export files....etc...

but I can't seem to be able to get it started recording....

my customer said the purple HD they can do playback alot faster than even green A/V drive...

You have to format a HD first using the software if you need to do recording. i think you can split into partition or easier to get new HD.

then set up motion recording under schedule and motion detection I think.