CBX

Custom Hikvision firmware

Hi All

Been doing some work on creating custom firmware for my Hikvision cameras, and have to say though hard it was pretty interesting and rewarding. But then I like that sort of thing cos I'm a geek with no life (or job)

I'm sure Hikvision don't want me spreading around the tech details of this and I will respect their point of view, and would likely not be acceptable on here anyway. But suffice to say cameras now running custom firmware rather than manually copying file patches which is fine for a few cameras, probably not if you got 100! lol

Anyway, just to let you know it is possible and if anyone wants to discuss custom digicap.dav with me, feel free to PM me. Languages, custom logos/contact info on web interface, network monitoring agents, ssh on cam etc etc etc. That's the great thing about linux embedded systems - can pretty much do what you want if you try!

Sorry technical notes been quiet recently - been reverse engineering firmware on my AVR for custom firmware on that too but now done so maybe do a bit more Hik stuff soon.

Cheers all

You should apply for a job with Hikvision, how would you like moving to Hangzhou?

HAHAHA!

By custom firmware, do you mean you can add features to the current interface, or are you actually running a totally different code base? Kinda like running DDWRT or Tomato on your linksys router? If its the later, I'm curious what linux packages you are using for the video, servers, motion detection, etc. Is there anything stopping you from publishing these firmwares?

No same code base and kernel etc (for now at least anyway).

But can now change things that were read only on filesystem and install extra software not manually on each camera but just via firmware upgrade with customised digicap.dav

Planning to add some of my developments so far such as language patches, busybox improvement, ssh plus a few network monitoring agents for centralised management.

Could change kernel but a lot of work and won't unless needed. Also keep original davinci.tar.gz but just patch in memory which is alot cleaner and better for any future fw updates from Hikvision.

Certainly won't be publically publishing customised firmware to the whole world as contains copyrighted code from Hikvision.

Hi CBX, It's cool.

I'm interesting to your job

NVB

Hi All

Been doing some work on creating custom firmware for my Hikvision cameras, and have to say though hard it was pretty interesting and rewarding. But then I like that sort of thing cos I'm a geek with no life (or job)

I'm sure Hikvision don't want me spreading around the tech details of this and I will respect their point of view, and would likely not be acceptable on here anyway. But suffice to say cameras now running custom firmware rather than manually copying file patches which is fine for a few cameras, probably not if you got 100! lol

Anyway, just to let you know it is possible and if anyone wants to discuss custom digicap.dav with me, feel free to PM me. Languages, custom logos/contact info on web interface, network monitoring agents, ssh on cam etc etc etc. That's the great thing about linux embedded systems - can pretty much do what you want if you try!

Sorry technical notes been quiet recently - been reverse engineering firmware on my AVR for custom firmware on that too but now done so maybe do a bit more Hik stuff soon.

Cheers all

Anyway, just to let you know it is possible and if anyone wants to discuss custom digicap.dav with me, feel free to PM me.

you turn off your PM