LittleScoobyMaster

GoPro Hero 4 as a 4K surveillance camera

The GoPro Hero 4 which is due out this month can do 4k at 30 fps for under $400. Just curious if it would make a fun daytime only indoors facing outdoors through a window surveillance camera or not.

Has anyone tried connecting directly to the Ambarella chip via IP address and using it with Blue Iris or GV-NVR, Xprotect, etc.? (Hero 3 Black) since the 4 isn't out for a couple more weeks. Not sure if the video stream is compatible with NVR's or not, or if the 4k stream is even accessible via an ip address. Just thought it would be fun to mess around with while we wait for the 4k 30 fps surveillance cameras to come out.

Just curious.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gopro-Hero-3-Black-Edition-IP-camera/

If you can use it like a USB webcam, it could be possible you can use it with BlueIris. Not sure about VLC and re-streaming it so you can look at it on a browser, but could be possible to re-stream it as RTSP for NVR software to recognize it. So 8MP for $400 when you can already get a 10MP IR dome for $300.

If you can use it like a USB webcam, it could be possible you can use it with BlueIris. Not sure about VLC and re-streaming it so you can look at it on a browser, but could be possible to re-stream it as RTSP for NVR software to recognize it. So 8MP for $400 when you can already get a 10MP IR dome for $300.

Which 10mp ir dome for $300 can do 30 fps @ near 4K rez? I thought the Acti E77 could only do 6 fps at 10mp, or is there another dome out that can currently hit 30 fps @ 10MP \ 4K for $300?

The Hero4 can do 3840x2160 @ 30 fps, isn't that also known as 10MP+? I know the terms are kind of mixed up a bunch and they sometimes crossover and 4K marketing is atrocious. (10MP, UHD, 4K, etc.) The Hero 4 is claimed to do 4K, even though 4K is really 4096x2160 instead of 3840x2160, but I wasn't aware of any $300 dome that could do 3840x2160 at 30 fps in color \ bw. If there is one out, that would be great. That is what I am presently in the market for.

http://dgise.com/post/62262921573/gopro-hero-4-specs-and-release-date-are-disclosed

Why do you need 30FPS? What do you want to record?

Well, I have a 4K TV hooked up to my NVR and I would like to view a native 4K stream from a surveillance camera on the set @ 30 fps from one of my surveillance cameras. Mainly it's because I think 1080p is so outdated that it borders on the ridiculous. We should have been at 4K years ago.

It's long overdue tech and I want it now. I don't want to wait any longer for it. Now that 39" 4K TV's are available for under $400, the cameras and other items need to start becoming just as affordable as well. It's a natural progression.

Then look for Bosch and Axis to have 4K models real soon with higher frame rates. 4K technically is 4x 1080P, or 8MP. I thought the GoPro is 15fps at 4K and 30fps at 2K. What model do you have that is 4K at 30fps?

Don't think there will be any serious adoption of 4K because there's already 8K, so why settle? Until there is wide-spread 4K or 8K content, at least live news and live sports in 4K/8K, not just 1080P video that has been enhanced to 4K/8K I don't see widespread adoption. I could see 2K actually making it before 4K because the barrier to entry for 2K is much lower. When I got my monitor recently, 1080P was about under $300, 2K (1440P) was under $600 and 4K (2160P) was about $3,000.

I can see it used in video surveillance where you have large displays with say 16+ cameras and each one is 1080P.

The real question is, are you going in on the GoPro IPO? I think it's a good stock to get considering that company continues to double revenues year after year despite the fact that just about every smartphone, every digital camera can do 1080P 30fps video. I was in court today as a witness and the judge told a person accused of violating a restraint order that they should get a GoPro and put it in their car rear window so they can document if they are being setup/framed as she purported. He said everyone in Russia is doing it, LOL.

Then look for Bosch and Axis to have 4K models real soon with higher frame rates. 4K technically is 4x 1080P, or 8MP. I thought the GoPro is 15fps at 4K and 30fps at 2K. What model do you have that is 4K at 30fps?

Don't think there will be any serious adoption of 4K because there's already 8K, so why settle? Until there is wide-spread 4K or 8K content, at least live news and live sports in 4K/8K, not just 1080P video that has been enhanced to 4K/8K I don't see widespread adoption. I could see 2K actually making it before 4K because the barrier to entry for 2K is much lower. When I got my monitor recently, 1080P was about under $300, 2K (1440P) was under $600 and 4K (2160P) was about $3,000.

I can see it used in video surveillance where you have large displays with say 16+ cameras and each one is 1080P.

The real question is, are you going in on the GoPro IPO? I think it's a good stock to get considering that company continues to double revenues year after year despite the fact that just about every smartphone, every digital camera can do 1080P 30fps video. I was in court today as a witness and the judge told a person accused of violating a restraint order that they should get a GoPro and put it in their car rear window so they can document if they are being setup/framed as she purported. He said everyone in Russia is doing it, LOL.

The GoPro that can do 4K at 30 fps is the new GoPro Hero 4, it is scheduled to be released in the next week or two.

I guess it depends on the pricing of these new Acti cameras, or the ones you have mentioned above. If the prices on them are low, I could just use one of them. The new Acti cameras can do 4K at 24 fps which is very close to the GoPro Hero 4 which does 4K at 30 fps.

I hope we can get pricing and availability info on these new Acti cameras:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41264

As for the IPO, it sounds like they would be a good company to invest in, but I currently don't have any of their stock. Good tip though.

The GoPro Hero 4 which is due out this month can do 4k at 30 fps for under $400. Just curious if it would make a fun daytime only indoors facing outdoors through a window surveillance camera or not.

Has anyone tried connecting directly to the Ambarella chip via IP address and using it with Blue Iris or GV-NVR, Xprotect, etc.? (Hero 3 Black) since the 4 isn't out for a couple more weeks. Not sure if the video stream is compatible with NVR's or not, or if the 4k stream is even accessible via an ip address. Just thought it would be fun to mess around with while we wait for the 4k 30 fps surveillance cameras to come out.

Just curious.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gopro-Hero-3-Black-Edition-IP-camera/

Just one simple question: are you sure it is able to stream 4K via IP?

OK, how many of you bought GoPro (GPRO) during their IPO offering at $24/share or opening price of $30/share on Thursday, now $39/share? Could have bought a bunch of 4K TV's and cameras with that profit. Close to $5B in market cap, wow.

Just one simple question: are you sure it is able to stream 4K via IP?

In ISC West Bosh had 4K camera doing about 10-11 mbps

seen myself

You added nothing to the conversation other than to spam your cheap, overpriced merchandise?

/Reported

Edited by Guest

I've a GoPro Hero 3+ black edition with 15fps 4K support. It is possible to get live pictures out of it via WLAN, but not via USB. And i'm pretty sure that wont work as 15fps when its still images you load from it. Sure it might do 1fps so one could see 4K image on a 4K display/tv but no 30fps, not even 15fps. The camera doesnt have enough processing power to handle streaming it that fast. Atleast not without hacks.

Ultimately, there's the question of whether the combination of lens, sensor, and image processing supports true 4k resolution. If the lens isn't 4k rated, for instance, the extra pixels may not add much to the actual visual resolution.

A few tests with a resolution chart would show how much improvement 4k gives.

I noted the comments about waiting for a 4K IP camera to hit the market and the comment about a 10M camera being available for £300 - the 10M at £300 man has his knickers in a twist and should take some lessons from the guy who first answered him. The 10M only applies to a STILL image and not the video stream. The higher resolution of 4K is a function of the SOC - in the case of Hero it is the Ambarella S2 SOC. and one only needs a 3 megapixel sensor to get 4K streams at 30 IPS.

A number of companies have Ambarella S2 designs in their R & D department and 4K will become the "MUST HAVE" of 2015 - expensive at first but well worth if bought from a reliable company. As for the £300 I think the early versions, from the quality manufacturers that can be relied on, will cost closer to £700 initially - though Adata is aiming for an Ambarella S2 x 4K POE IP Camera to sell at round the £480 mark. You should see the first reliable models on sale December 2014