Sign in to follow this  
pipabix

which of these cams works best with Milestone

Have you checked Milestone information on supported cameras for x-protect? It's pretty easy to find and it is quite a comprehensive list.

If the cameras you are looking at support ONVIF then you can (usually) get them to work with Milestone... but I doubt that you are going to find experts here who can specifically tell you which of those two entry level cameras is "better" with a software that is usually used with more mid to high level cameras.

I would recommend the Hikvision with Milestone as there's direct support for it, you'll be able to use the motion detect events of the camera. The Dahua will work, but it will use generic ONVIF and do motion detect at the server level. Milestones server side motion detection is actually quite efficient. For example, if you had 8 Hikvision using camera side motion detect on a modern day i3 processor, you may use 5% CPU, with Dahua you may you 10% CPU. That's server processing only. Displaying the cameras takes the same amount of CPU either way. So if you are concerned about CPU load, the Hikvision would be a better choice, but on a newer computer, not sure you'll care, so get the cameras that suits you better.

I'm more concerned about CPU load because I'm running Milestone on an Intel NUC i5 which ironically is not as fast as the same generation i3 from a full sized computer, but I love that it only uses about 30W of power and fits in the palm of my hand. Even then, with 1 Dahua, 5 Hikvision, 3 ACTi and Milestone doing camera side motion detect on 4 cameras, and server side motion detect on 5, it's only using 6-8% CPU and runs cool.

Wow ! You run all those cameras on a NUC ? I'm impressed.

I would recommend the Hikvision with Milestone as there's direct support for it, you'll be able to use the motion detect events of the camera. The Dahua will work, but it will use generic ONVIF and do motion detect at the server level. Milestones server side motion detection is actually quite efficient. For example, if you had 8 Hikvision using camera side motion detect on a modern day i3 processor, you may use 5% CPU, with Dahua you may you 10% CPU. That's server processing only. Displaying the cameras takes the same amount of CPU either way. So if you are concerned about CPU load, the Hikvision would be a better choice, but on a newer computer, not sure you'll care, so get the cameras that suits you better.

I'm more concerned about CPU load because I'm running Milestone on an Intel NUC i5 which ironically is not as fast as the same generation i3 from a full sized computer, but I love that it only uses about 30W of power and fits in the palm of my hand. Even then, with 1 Dahua, 5 Hikvision, 3 ACTi and Milestone doing camera side motion detect on 4 cameras, and server side motion detect on 5, it's only using 6-8% CPU and runs cool.

The largest 2.5" drive that is 95mm is 2TB from Samsung. I had a 2TB drive before and I have it set to record events for 14 days and maybe filled up the drive 3/4 of the way. I feel I can run about 26 cameras with Milestone as a server without a CPU problem on the NUC. I say 26 as that's the max on the Essential version of the software. Of course you would not want 26 cameras with a single 2TB drive, so practical, for me, with 2 weeks events, I can probably grow to 12 cameras and maybe 16 if I cut the 14 days down to 10 or spend more time fine tuning the motion detect parameters for each camera or use higher compression.

Hey Buell, I would love to see a short article follow-up on Milestone motion detection on your blog.

As it is, I'm not sure I understand the things you have stated previously about how "in camera" motion detection on Milestone really works.

As it is, I'm not sure I understand the things you have stated previously about how "in camera" motion detection on Milestone really works.

In camera motion detection:

Camera tells the NVR "hey, there are things moving now, record!"

NVR motion detection:

Camera just sends video feed to the NVR all the time. NVR analyzes the video stream to see if there is any motion, and if so, it records (or does whatever it is told to do). Since the NVR is the one analyzing the video all the time, it needs/uses more CPU power on the computer.

Hey Buell, I would love to see a short article follow-up on Milestone motion detection on your blog.

OK, I'll do it now as a separate post

OK, I'll do it now as a separate post

Thanks

In camera motion detection:

Camera tells the NVR "hey, there are things moving now, record!"

NVR motion detection:

Camera just sends video feed to the NVR all the time. NVR analyzes the video stream to see if there is any motion, and if so, it records (or does whatever it is told to do). Since the NVR is the one analyzing the video all the time, it needs/uses more CPU power on the computer.

I think you should maybe look at Buell's article about how motion detection is setup with Milestone before you start implying people are idiots.

Motion detection on Milestone is automatically configured to use its own built in motion detection algorithms and it is not intuitive or simple to understand what is needed in order to switch things to use in-camera motion detection.