Z06Boricua

Are people still running the Lorex/Swann kits from Costco?

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been around these parts... I was researching NVRs a while back, but life got in the way and I put it on hold, until now. I was just wondering what the current general consensus was on the 1080p PoE Costco kits made by Lorex and Swann with the HikVision cameras. I haven't seen much discussion on them in a long time, and wondered if they've pretty much turned into crap or not. I just got the latest Costco deal mailer and it shows THIS 3TB KIT for $1500 after $500 off from 7/10/14-8/3/14.

I was gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on this deal in the next few weeks, but I wanted to hear from the experts beforehand. Are the Lorex/Swann Costco kits still a great buy? I know ziktronix had one of the early Swann kits, I'd love to know if it's still running strong. Thanks for your help!

Jose

I have a year old Lorex 280 NVR from Costco. Has worked fine for me and I just hooked up a new Hikvision camera so I will move from 4 cameras to 8 (for only an additional $360).

The Lorex is limited compared to others but I can view locally or online and can add cameras so that's enough for me. You can certainly get something better if you spend more...specifically I would love to have variable zoom or pan capability but that's not going to happen in this price range.

Mike

I have a year old Lorex 280 NVR from Costco. Has worked fine for me and I just hooked up a new Hikvision camera so I will move from 4 cameras to 8 (for only an additional $360).

The Lorex is limited compared to others but I can view locally or online and can add cameras so that's enough for me. You can certainly get something better if you spend more...specifically I would love to have variable zoom or pan capability but that's not going to happen in this price range.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear your system has been running fine. I know it's quite limited, but I care more about image quality, night vision, and remote viewing more than PTZ and alarm inputs right now so this Lorex kit is perfect for me. Now I just have to figure out the best way to install cameras under my aluminum soffit... Thanks for your reply!

Jose

I wanted to buy the Lorex or Swann but everytime I walk up to it at the store I can barley recognize myself from 10' away. I just bought a couple of thesehttp://www.costco.ca/Q-See%c2%ae-8-channel-High-Definition-Digital-NVR-with-2-TB-HDD-%2526-4-HD-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100120827.html.

I wanted to buy the Lorex or Swann but everytime I walk up to it at the store I can barley recognize myself from 10' away. I just bought a couple of thesehttp://www.costco.ca/Q-See%c2%ae-8-channel-High-Definition-Digital-NVR-with-2-TB-HDD-%2526-4-HD-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100120827.html.

Never seen a network model in a Costco tv, only online.

I have a year old Lorex 280 NVR with four cameras from Costco. I added 4 more cameras and a second 2TB green drive. Had to RMA the DVR once as it would lockup, but the replacement has been solid since i upgraded the firmware (before cameras would randomly disconnect before firmware update).

i just lost the 52V rail on my power supply!!!! all cameras where off (I saw no led glow at night) and lost connection with dvr, confirmed with volt meter.

I took the plunge and bought the system from Costco. Figured I could always return it if it doesn't work, and I'm leaving for a trip next week.

The system came as a whole bunch of individual boxed components. Before completely extracting and setting up, I'm trying to figure out if I can convert one of the Lorex cameras into a standalone IP camera for a separate location, i.e. not use the Lorex NVR. Does anyone know the default IP address for the Lorex cameras? I'm on a Mac, so using SADP (might work?) isn't really an option.