I am very new to CCTV and IP cams but I've been doing some solid research the last week or so. I've came to the conclusion that I want to go with a NVR instead of a PC based NVR just because it's easier to use, mostly plug and play. Maybe when I get more experienced I will be able to know exactly what I'm wanting in my next or upgraded system.

So I've pretty much decided I want to run mostly Hikvision cams, probably around 10 of them so a 16 ch POE NVR would probably be a good choice so that there's room to grow. I would like to have all POE ports if possible. My budget is up to about 2 grand for the whole setup, cams included. I would like to run 3MP, 1080p cams, and a somewhat expandable HD in the NVR so that I could have at least 2 4TB HDs.

I would probably have to go with a Hikvision NVR for Hikvision cams but there's just so many. Can you guys help me out and recommend me any NVR that will work for the specifications I am wanting? Thanks a lot in advance!

The hikvision dS-7716nI-SP/16 has 16 port Poe and it can take up to 4 sata drives with each up to 4TB.

From what I understand on many embedded nvrs is that you're somewhat limited to the same manufacturer's cameras. There may be some interchanging between brands and then there is onvif which you should read up on. But I believe it's best to stay within the same nvr and camera brand.

I have a Hikvision DS-7716NI-ST and a D-Link DES-1210-28P.

The NVR does up to 16ch 5mbps. The switch has 24 ports 100mbps with POE (for cameras), and 4 ports 1gbps (one for the NVR, another one for connecting to my main network). I do not recommend NVR with integrated switch/POE, but that's up to one's personal liking.