pjwinstalls

Milestone and hikvision dropping frames problem...

I am using milestone essential and have two hikvision ds-2cd2332 cameras running at full resolution and 20fps. Whether i am watching the feed live or playback through milestone the video is dropping frames and isnt smooth. If I connect directly to the camera its fine. I also downloaded DW watchdog spectrum and again the video feed is fine. I also have some clients with these cameras and the hikvision NVR and video is fine. Problem is only when viewing with the milestone software. Using the hikvision8x3 driver and I have updated the both cameras to the latest firmware. Paid a lot of $$$ for milestone so would really like to get it to work properly. Milestone tech hasnt been any help..... Suggestions???

Thanks

Philip

Mine work fine out of the box and I have 7 Hikvision 3MP cameras at 20fps (3 other brands). Check the CPU/memory stats in Task Manager to see if you coming close to any limits. Make iframe on the camera the same as the frame rate, so if it's 20, make iframe 20. Try increasing the max bitrate, maybe to 6144 (lower compression means less CPU work needed). Last thing it could be is your network, so you Task Manager, Resource Manager to see the network on Win7 of just the performance tab in Win8.

Make iframe on the camera the same as the frame rate, so if it's 20, make iframe 20.

Try increasing the max bitrate, maybe to 6144 (lower compression means less CPU work needed).

Are u sure ?

Make iframe on the camera the same as the frame rate, so if it's 20, make iframe 20.

Try increasing the max bitrate, maybe to 6144 (lower compression means less CPU work needed).

Are u sure ?

Are you not sure?

CPU utilization is only at 10%....even if i run DW spectrum it only goes to 22%. Network utilization is only 1.7%. Iframe is set same as the frame rate and my max bitrate is actually at 8311. Like i said, the video on them is great with the other software on the same computer.

Try setting the iframe rate to halve of the fps rate. On my setup, when iframe is set to the same as the fps it causes ghosting/dropouts.

Also, if you're running these cameras at 3mp with quality set to "best" your bitrate is too low for 20fps. There's a bitrate chart on the Hikvision US FTP site (under the Technical Bulletins section) which lists recommended rates.

Ok...i see the problem but i dont know whats causing it. On the hikvision config page, i increased the max bit rate to its highest allowable.. 12228. When i look at the image coming from the cam in the digital watchdog software....its coming in as 10mb-12mb which is correct. But in milestone, ... its fluctiating between 3.5-5 mbit/s...no matter what i set the max bitrate to on the camera. Why isnt milestone accepting the full bitrate that the hikvision is putting out?

Does Milestone display in Mb or MB/sec? Some packages, like Blue Iris, use MB instead of Mb, which often causes confusion.

In any case, 12Mbps is some pretty serious overkill (ETA: I see you were only running 8Mbps before), and will cause your files to be much larger than necessary. I haven't seen a case yet where a Hik 1080p image improves at more than 4Mbps, but I have only tested at 10 and 15 fps. I don't run 3MP because of the smaller HFOV.

Hik recommends 5120 kbps at 3MP and 15 fps for best quality. Even at 30 fps, they recommend 10240 kbps for best quality.