hi

i have 5mp hikvision bullet camera,

I have seen samples from other cameras with lower resolution which was much better than mine

can you help and advise?

253614_1.jpg

253614_2.jpg

Those images are at 2.1Mp (1920x1080). If you have not rescaled them you may need to change some settings to get 5Mp.

Colour image does look a bit blurry in parts.

full resolution

253628_1.jpg

but why is it so blurry?

Looks to me like it could be the bitrate that needs setting higher. I have my 3MP bullets set to 10,000 kbps which is a bit overkill but does the job nicely.

I'd agree. What are your bitrate and frame rate settings? It does OK on some stuff, like the brick wall, but other areas are seriously over-compressed.

Hik has a PDF of recommended bit rates for different resolutions, quality, and frame rates that's a pretty good general guideline:

ftp://hikfirmware:Hikvision123@ftp.hikvisionusa.com/Technical%20Bulletin/2014/IP%20Camera%20Recommended%20Bitrate%20v2.0_20140219.pdf

Not just compressed, but excessive over-processing is prevalent in the Chinese cameras. Too much noise reduction, too much sharpness. I turn sharpness down to about 25-35 on my Hikvision cameras and while I like the effect at night of the noise reduction, it should be turned down during the day. I think you can do it with profiles, but have not played much with profiles yet. I think that has more of an effect on your image than bitrate, not to say it's irrelevant.

Not just compressed, but excessive over-processing is prevalent in the Chinese cameras. Too much noise reduction, too much sharpness. I turn sharpness down to about 25-35 on my Hikvision cameras and while I like the effect at night of the noise reduction, it should be turned down during the day. I think you can do it with profiles, but have not played much with profiles yet. I think that has more of an effect on your image than bitrate, not to say it's irrelevant.

Odd, I find the optimal setting on mine is 75. Any more and obviously things become grainy, less though and I find I lose detail. Mine are the 3mp 2032-i. Maybe the environment throws a massive variable in there or some other factors such as camera batch etc. mine is the 4mm lens

The detail gets lost in distant objects. So for example, I have camera overlooking a lake where the middle may be 1,000' out. The ripples in the water is fine detail that gets muddled unless I crank NR and sharpness way down. On the other hand, my security cameras at my house look at much closer objects, but even then leaves on a tree that's 50' away, details in blades of grass can get muddle with aggressive settings.

Regarding the HK recommended Bitrates:

ftp://ftp.hikvisionusa.com/Technical_Bulletin/2014/IP%20Camera%20Recommended%20Bitrate%20v2.0_20140219.pdf

Why does the 5MP only have the settings for 8 fps?

I have 5MP dome version and trying to figure out the best settings. Thanks!

This was probably written when 8fps was the max for 5MP cams.

What's your current bitrate setting and frame rate?

I'd suggest increasing bit rate until the the closer areas get more detail. The bricks on the next building back should improve as well.

The bricks in the midrange look decent, because they're high contrast, and the firmware decided to compress those pixel groups less. The lower contrast areas that are closer to the cam are compressed more, so those should show improvement as you increase the bit rate if that's the problem.

Based on the ugliness of these images, I'd double the bit rate for starters. If you're using VBR, be sure image quality is set at the highest setting.

If the bit rate ends up too high for your needs, you'll need to reduce the frame rate or increase the i-frame setting. You should also play with the other settings, as BW suggested.

I suggest that you always check the frame rate and bitrate of the recorded video with Media Player Classic (or VLC or any player that displays the technical characteristics of the video).

Also do not trust what the settings of the interface say. As an example, in firmware 5.0.2 with a 3Mpixels 2CD2332 camera the frame rate was set at 25fps and the final recorded video was only 12fps. It was a firmware disfunctionality (the polite expression for .... bug) and it is very well documented in he forums. This ... disfunctionality was fixed in version 5.1.0 (or later). However an inexperienced eye could not see the difference in the playback view of the NVR interface.

Also 5Mpixels at 20fps and at say >5Mbps requires a lot of processing power. How certain are you, that the camera CPU can handle it? One or more of the above parameters is reduced automatically without notification from the camera in order to handle properly the video sream. One hidden parameter that is almost used to sacrifice quality in order to manage the video stream is the compression factor in the H264 algorithm. The effects of high lossy compression are dramatic in visual quality.

Conclusion: Always take the settings of the interface and in general the chinese software and specifications with a pinch of salt and verify the final result with third party tools.