Satguru

Hikvision support for micro SDs above 64 GB?

I think you would be lucky if it worked with 64GB as it's been temperamental which cards work and which don't and ironically the one they recommend like Sandisk 64GB does not work with Hikvision. At 32GB or less, all cards I've tried work because they are SDHC, the 64GB and larger are SDXC.

Thank you for the info. How many hours of recorded time could a 32 GB hold? I know quality will impact this but would be nice to know how much each resolution could hold.

I think you would be lucky if it worked with 64GB as it's been temperamental which cards work and which don't and ironically the one they recommend like Sandisk 64GB does not work with Hikvision. At 32GB or less, all cards I've tried work because they are SDHC, the 64GB and larger are SDXC.

Are SDXC cards an issue with Hikvision cameras?

Are SDXC cards an issue with Hikvision cameras?

Apparently, they are. Not sure why Hikvision would market that they are compatible if people have been having issues with them.

Yes, a few people have had issues with 64GB cards, so I got the Sandisk they recommend and it did not work, yet cheaper cards with the Sony brand name we use do work and we put them in each camera we install as a fail safe, a way to start recording if by chance the NVR PC fails and is expected to be out of commission for an extended period of time. The very same Sandisk model but 32GB capacity did worked.

Keep in mind that flash of all kinds, be it SD card or SSD has limited writes before they fail unlike spinning disk. Depending on how often you write to the card will determine it's life. Get one with a long reliable warranty. For example, MicroCentere's house brand cards have an unconditional warranty, bring it back when it fails, they give you a new one. Some people only get 3-6 months use in a surveillance camera. It's different in digital cameras and phone where they get infrequent use, then they last for a long time.

Yes, a few people have had issues with 64GB cards, so I got the Sandisk they recommend and it did not work, yet cheaper cards with the Sony brand name we use do work and we put them in each camera we install as a fail safe, a way to start recording if by chance the NVR PC fails and is expected to be out of commission for an extended period of time. The very same Sandisk model but 32GB capacity did worked.

Keep in mind that flash of all kinds, be it SD card or SSD has limited writes before they fail unlike spinning disk. Depending on how often you write to the card will determine it's life. Get one with a long reliable warranty. For example, MicroCentere's house brand cards have an unconditional warranty, bring it back when it fails, they give you a new one. Some people only get 3-6 months use in a surveillance camera. It's different in digital cameras and phone where they get infrequent use, then they last for a long time.

Thanks, your experience on this murky matter is much appreciated.

There is a report of the 64GB Samsung evo SDXC Class 10 card (Limited 10 year Warranty) working and I have a 64GB Sony micro SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 (5 year warranty) to test.

The question of dual recording has come up.

The question seems to have been touched in your review of the DS-2CD2732F-IS:

Can I setup this camera to record on the memory card and also NAS or xprotect go at the same time?

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1968#comment-7826

I had it setup with Milestone XProtect and also recorded to the SD card, sure, why not. You can’t do SD and NAS at the same time that I know of.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1968#comment-7830

Any idea if we can dual record to both the SD card and the NVR?

How many hours of recorded time could a 32 GB hold? I know quality will impact this but would be nice to know how much each resolution could hold.

If you use fixed bit rate, the bit rate determines how much space recordings take. Resolution, frame rate, and quality don't matter unless you use variable bit rate.

For example:

4Mbps (bits)/8 = 0.5MBps (bytes)

0.5MBps * 60 = 30MB per minute

30MBpm * 60 = 1.8GB per hour

So, 32GB would hold about 18 hours at 4Mbps fixed.

For variable bit rate, it depends on the level of visual detail, quality setting, and amount of motion in the image.

I have the DS-2CD2632F and a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 micro SDXC and it seems to be working fine.

What problems are people having?

I have the DS-2CD2632F and a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 micro SDXC and it seems to be working fine.

What problems are people having?

Just doesn't format. Maybe either Sandisk fixed their cards or the cameras have better readers or you got lucky.

Mine formats ok.

Sandisk have so many fakes on the market so maybe that is an issue. I made sure mine was 100% original. I know well known shops are selling Sandisk cards and they are fakes.

The only problem I have whether its to do with the card or not is when I am watching playback via the browser, the button to fastforward doesn't seem to work and I have to drag and scroll the time frame at the button to get around it. Not ideal if you want to watch a few hours of footage for a particular incident.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Edited by Guest

For me it seems to work like the NVR, a click or 2 of the button speeds it up a little.

It's not really "fast" forward but faster forward?

I don't use continuous recording, event recording suits my needs speed & time wise to check for items of interest.

Maybe try exporting to your local for a faster parsing with your media software of choice?

Mine formats ok.

Sandisk have so many fakes on the market so maybe that is an issue. I made sure mine was 100% original. I know well known shops are selling Sandisk cards and they are fakes.

Could be, but I bought it at Best Buy, but maybe it's a fake Best Buy, always been suspicious