mkkoskin

Axis M3007-PV fisheye ONVIF awesomeness

The whole purpose of this post is just to tell you what i found out while testing this camera. Maybe someone's been wondering if/how it works.

While testing this Axis M3007-PV (http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m3007pv/) I noticed how awesome they've made their ONVIF on it. It's rare that cameras actually work as you'd expect, this one does.

Camera being a fisheye and our VMS having a built in fisheye support, I immediately used this feature, but it is not required for this camera. They actually made PTZ/Presets work like a charm via ONVIF. And that is what surprised me.

You can select different streams for Panoramic/Double Panoramic views and single views. Single views can be controlled via ONVIF PTZ just like any other PTZ camera, each view remembers the state it is left at.

For actual real-time monitoring, you can use custom presets which work fast.

Their built-in dewarping quality is good.

Thanks

That's good to know.

I've used only two different fisheyes. I've used Geovision which work pretty well as far as panning and presets go using their software but I haven't tried them with another vms. I've also just recently used vivotek fisheyes with the VMS we use on jobs and found them not user friendly.

But I haven't messed with them too much.

I haven't used any Axis cameras yet but it seems to me, they are the superior brand in most ways.

What VMS are you using the fisheye with.

I wish the good folks over at Avigilon could get this to work! I've had a request in with their development team to support this camera for almost a year now. It's quite embarrassing when a $2.99 Android app can access the different streams (de-warped), but yet my "let's just say more than $3 per license" Avigilon system cannot. For those Avigilon dealers out there, let your "people" at Avigilon know this, as they're probably the last VMS out there that can't do this!

Avigilon supports dewarping of ImmerVision lens on Sony cameras.... https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/assetDownloadController/S-IP2189-B_SNC-HM662.pdf?path=Asset%20Hierarchy$Professional$SEL-yf-generic-153711$SEL-yf-generic-153760SEL-asset-421080.pdf&id=StepID$SEL-asset-421080$original&dimension=original

I do agree they are a little late to the game when it comes to dewarping support but it looks like they are jumping on the ImmerVision bandwagon. My hope is they release their own ImmerVision fisheye camera sometime soon.

Avigilon supports dewarping of ImmerVision lens on Sony cameras.... https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/assetDownloadController/S-IP2189-B_SNC-HM662.pdf?path=Asset%20Hierarchy$Professional$SEL-yf-generic-153711$SEL-yf-generic-153760SEL-asset-421080.pdf&id=StepID$SEL-asset-421080$original&dimension=original

I do agree they are a little late to the game when it comes to dewarping support but it looks like they are jumping on the ImmerVision bandwagon. My hope is they release their own ImmerVision fisheye camera sometime soon.

They very well may support ImmerVision, but this does nothing for this problem. It's interesting because in my communication with Avigilon support, they keep thinking that I want Avigilon to do the dewarping (hence the "Yeah, but we now support ImmerVision!" response I keep getting). I keep telling them that the camera does the de-warping in the camera, and all the developers have to do is to allow the user to select which stream from the camera they weant displayed - no dewarping within Avigilon required. Even the most basic ONVIF support does this, yet somehow, Avigilon is not 100% ONVIF compliant, or they're just being lazy in not allowing the user to select the different streams. As I said, if a $3 app on my phone can access any of the streams, Avigilon most definitely should. It would not take one of their developers probably an hour to implement this. And I'm not saying that their support is non-responsive; they are wonderful and respond to my inquiries and follow up quickly. It's just that they can't seem to make this very basic feature work, which is a shame, for the money I've invested in their software.

Gentlemen,

We are designing a chip set(System On Chip) for IP Camera application. That does H.264 compression and sends the compressed bit stream via network line. We are considering to implement a Fish Eye feature as a hardwired logic inside the chip. But I am not quite sure of what kinds of applications are really needed in the real fields of end-user side.

1. Do you need a single compressed stream for the whole warped video?

Then NVR side is to de-compress the stream, de-warp the video, and display the videos, say 4 sections or two sections in Picture in Picture Mode that end user wants to see?

In this case, Our job is simply to compress the warped video scene and sending the bit stream to NVR. It is job for NVR to de-compress and de-warp the video.

2. Do we have to de-warp the video in 2 or 4 video scenes that a user has specified before compressing the warped video? Then we compress each de-warped video scene in a separate bit stream file and sending to NVR via network cable?

Our compression engine is to compress either in 2 ways, as below.

1. the entire warped video and at the same time, additional two de-warped video in real-time compression, say 30FPS each.

2. four different compressed bit streams for four de-warped video scenes.

Which one above do you like to have?

We really like to hear voices (demands) from real application fields. We really appreciate if you suggest what should be needed or what you like to have.

How does the ONVIF standard hadle this? I would imagine if you can de-warp the video before sending to the NVR it would be more useful as a lot of NVRs probably can not do this.

There are two scenarios:

1. The viewer only wants to see the dewarped stream(s), in which case, the dewarping is done 100% in the camera.

2. The viewer wants to record the raw, warped stream so that it can be dewarped upon playback (or perhaps in realtime) in anyway which the user requires (requiring the NVR to dewarp the stream).

Mobotix cameras (Q series) provides both scenarios to the viewer. The camera records the raw footage, while providing dewarped views as streams (which a separate NVR could record), but since the raw stream is always recorded, the user has the ability to dewarp a playback stream at any time.

Even if the NVR has no capability to dewarp the raw stream (or raw recorded stream), the camera can still provide specific dewarped streams to the NVR for recording, which is what I want Avigilon to be able to do...simply access the different available dewarped streams from the Axis M3007 camera.

Thanks

That's good to know.

I've used only two different fisheyes. I've used Geovision which work pretty well as far as panning and presets go using their software but I haven't tried them with another vms. I've also just recently used vivotek fisheyes with the VMS we use on jobs and found them not user friendly.

I haven't used any Axis cameras yet but it seems to me, they are the superior brand in most ways.

Using it with our own developed Ksenos VMS. According to forum rules i'm not allowed to link to our page though

Thanks

That's good to know.

Using it with our own developed Ksenos VMS. According to forum rules i'm not allowed to link to our page though

So do I understand correctly that you are not actually dewarping the stream within Ksenos, but merely selecting the already dewarped stream via ONVIF? As I mentioned, I cannot seem to get Avigilon to do what you are doing, and what a $3 Android App (IP Cam Viewer Pro) can do.

Are you planning to incorporate dewarping capability within Ksenos so that you can take a warped stream and dewarp in realtime? For example, either a live stream from the camera, or a recorded stream which can then be played back and dewarped to any view the user wishes? Mobotix does this very nicely, but it's all done inside the camera. The benefit of course is that while you are monitoring, you could be viewing a dewarped view of a single doorway, for example, but you are actually recording the full, unwarped stream, so that you can always replay to see what you might have missed while you were looking at the door. Definitely a benefit over a standard PTZ camera.

Thanks

That's good to know.

So do I understand correctly that you are not actually dewarping the stream within Ksenos, but merely selecting the already dewarped stream via ONVIF? As I mentioned, I cannot seem to get Avigilon to do what you are doing, and what a $3 Android App (IP Cam Viewer Pro) can do.

Are you planning to incorporate dewarping capability within Ksenos so that you can take a warped stream and dewarp in realtime? For example, either a live stream from the camera, or a recorded stream which can then be played back and dewarped to any view the user wishes? Mobotix does this very nicely, but it's all done inside the camera. The benefit of course is that while you are monitoring, you could be viewing a dewarped view of a single doorway, for example, but you are actually recording the full, unwarped stream, so that you can always replay to see what you might have missed while you were looking at the door. Definitely a benefit over a standard PTZ camera.

We do support dewarping just the way you described it. Stream from camera is recorded as warped and can be viewed dewarped, and/or used like a PTZ camera, in live or recordings.

But the reason of this post was that Axis actually does the dewarping and offers different ONVIF profiles/streams with already dewarped image. Panorama, Single view, Quad view atleast. I dont know how Avigilon handles ONVIF cameras and profiles, but if you're able to change the used profile (I think there was 6 or 7 different profiles), you should be able to see the different 'modes'.

Then again atleast in our case, if only a single view stream is being recorded via ONVIF, only that view is viewable on recordings. So probably the way this should be done is record the whole warped image (via RTSP or ONVIF) and view another stream via RTSP/ONVIF for live use.

Let's pretend like Avigilon *could* handle multiple de-warped streams from this camera... Could you view/record all the streams of this camera in Avigilon with just a single license for that specific camera, or would you have to purchase a different license for each stream you want to view/record?

Well considering Avigilon already records multiple streams from their own cameras I don't think their would be a second license cost. That being said recording the full image and dewarping the live/recording makes more sense which is exactly what they are doing.

Well considering Avigilon already records multiple streams from their own cameras I don't think their would be a second license cost. That being said recording the full image and dewarping the live/recording makes more sense which is exactly what they are doing.

Ohhhh. OK. So Avigilon *can* take the single warped stream and de-warp it? I was under the impression that Avigilon couldnt handle de-warped or warped streams coming from the camera... I must've mis-understood. So sending a warped stream to Avigilon from this camera and having Avigilon do the de-warping works fine? Also, can Avigilon handle motion detection from this camera?

Ohhhh. OK. So Avigilon *can* take the single warped stream and de-warp it? I was under the impression that Avigilon couldnt handle de-warped or warped streams coming from the camera... I must've mis-understood. So sending a warped stream to Avigilon from this camera and having Avigilon do the de-warping works fine? Also, can Avigilon handle motion detection from this camera?

Avigilon is working with Immervision lenses not the Axis camera. The Axis camera will record and work with Avigilon but you only get the full fisheye image.

That being said LOTS of new stuff coming with 5.4 in a couple of weeks.

Isn't 5.2 the current version out? What happened to version 5.3?

Who cares about 5.3

5.4 around the corner

Isn't 5.2 the current version out? What happened to version 5.3?

Who cares about 5.3

5.4 around the corner

LOL. I like the way you think

I just got my M3007-P camera last night. I agree -- it's awesome. I only wish the lens was Day/Night.

The whole purpose of this post is just to tell you what i found out while testing this camera. Maybe someone's been wondering if/how it works.

While testing this Axis M3007-PV (http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m3007pv/) I noticed how awesome they've made their ONVIF on it. It's rare that cameras actually work as you'd expect, this one does ...

I got mine a week ago. I agree, it's impressive. I use it with Blue Iris 3. I can get the warped stream and the panoramic stream, but the other views (PTZ) don't seem to work in BI.

I've got a 64Gb micro-sd on order with the idea of recording the warped stream in-camera, in case I need to go back to it, but only recording the dewarped streams in BI.

Any thoughts on getting the PTZ streams working in BI would be welcome.

--

Pete

While testing this Axis M3007-PV (http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m3007pv/) I noticed how awesome they've made their ONVIF on it. It's rare that cameras actually work as you'd expect, this one does ...

I got mine a week ago. I agree, it's impressive. I use it with Blue Iris 3. I can get the warped stream and the panoramic stream, but the other views (PTZ) don't seem to work in BI.

I've got a 64Gb micro-sd on order with the idea of recording the warped stream in-camera, in case I need to go back to it, but only recording the dewarped streams in BI.

Any thoughts on getting the PTZ streams working in BI would be welcome.

--

Pete

I don't really know anything about BI, but if they support ONVIF (Took a quick look at their website and didn't see ONVIF being mentioned anywhere though.), it should work.

Maybe there is someone on the forums with better knowledge of BI that can help you out.

Thanks.

I got it going in the end. The Camera No in BI relates directly to the Port No in the Axis web interface. They're not sequential!

1 is the raw stream, 2 the de-warped one, then 5 onwards are the Views.

Is there any camera that Avigilon supports for dewarping? I take it the Axis M3007 still isn't supported?