xavier4or

Has anyone got Hikvision iVMS 4200 v2 working as a PCNVR?

I have IVMS 4200 with Storage Server working fine on a Windows 7 laptop. It records on motion detection just fine but I could only get it to work with a usb external drive. I couldn't get it to record on motion detection (event) to the C:.

edit : I have now got it to record to D: which is a partition on C: as well. I do not think it can be configured to record onto a drive partition which contains an OS.

Thank, can you explain please in short how you got this done?

Briefly :

1. Set up your camera so that motion detection is configured. ie in Live View you should see the recording being triggered.

2. Start up your storage server.

3. In the client, click on Device Management and make sure Server is selected on the left tab. On the left under "Organisation" you should see tabs for Encoding device, Storage Server. If Storage Server is not there then click on +Add new device type and add a storage server.

4. You should see at the bottom of that screen the Storage Server showing on the network. Click "+Add to Client". A box will open. Give your server a name, and enter the username and password - admin, 12345 like the cameras. Click "Add".

5. The storage server will now appear in the list of devices for management. Select it and click on "Remote Config"

6. The config box will open. Click on "Storage" and then "General". A box will open with a list of available drives. Choose the drive you want to use and click "format". It will not wipe the drive. Then click on "reboot". Exit the config page.

7. In the client, click on "Record Schedule" and you will see a list of your cameras on the left. Select a camera that you want to record on the storage server.

You should see two headings on the screen. "Local Recording" and "Storage server recording".

Check the box next to "Local Recording" and ensure "Event Template" is selected in the dropdown list.

Check the box next to "Storage server" and ensure you select "Storage server" in the dropdown box and then "Event template" in the dropdown box below.

Click "Save"

It should now work

Did you get this working ?

Yes thanks so much, followed your list to the "T" and it works like a charm.

I have 1 question, if I would like to access the cams and recordings on my phone or on remote ivms4200 client do I set it up with ports for each camera or I could just set up the PC ports and login straight to pc, also I set up stream server but dont know if that is for external connections, and if yes how do I connect my app 4500 to live view or remote playback.?

Is there anyway of reviewing recordings of the storage server on a remote pc using IVMS-4200?

I setup a local pc with ivms 4200 installed and setup storage server, on the local pc I can review the storage server recording, but on remote pc I cant figure out how to review them, when I do remote playback it tells me no files available.

When I put them in mobile app on my phone I can do remote playback to storage server but no live images.

Any idea on reviewing on ivms 4200 and live view on 4500 mobile app?

I would also love to know if anyone has figured this out. I have an offsite server that I am recording to, I can watch footage via RDP but of course that is less than ideal.

I have gotten this to work in the iVMS-4200 app, it seems to of added the storage server as a second encoding device which I can then choose the specific camera in a drop down menu for remote playback. The app actually handles this process very smoothly so I hope this was build into iVMS-4200 as well.

i read this entire thread and i am still confused. i have used a handful of VMS software packages and hikvision is by far the most confusing one of all. then again, this is also the only free package i have used.

i am not trying to hijack the thread, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction with all of the testing/troubleshooting that you all have been through.

my one and only site has 13 IP cameras configured inside the PCNVR ivms4200 software, running on w7 pro. i didn't have any issues adding the cameras, saving the view, etc... i don't have any problems with the ivms4500 iphone app (off site, over the internet, connects just fine)....this also tells me my ports are forwarded properly.

my problem is with the CMS software i am trying to run on a computer, off site from where the cameras are located, for remote viewing.

on the remote PC, i installed the CMS software, which contains the client, storage server and streaming server, i only checked the box to install the client. when i launch the client, i put in the hostname/IP of the main site, it finds it, authenticates and shows me all the cameras.

so far so good. my issue is that i can't seem to figure out how to view a reduced image/resolution of the cameras at the remote site. locally i am viewing/recording at 1080p and best (5) image. i have an option to set a main image resolution and a sub image resolution. is it possible to somehow configure the CMS software to use the sub image instead of the main image?

is it possible to somehow configure the CMS software to use the sub image instead of the main image?

For the main local pc are you using the pcnvr version or the 4200 with storage server?

Regardless of which version your using on the remote pc try going into system configuration under image tab unselect auto change stream type. Then by main view select each camera and select sub stream.

is it possible to somehow configure the CMS software to use the sub image instead of the main image?

For the main local pc are you using the pcnvr version or the 4200 with storage server?

Regardless of which version your using on the remote pc try going into system configuration under image tab unselect auto change stream type. Then by main view select each camera and select sub stream.

yes, main site is using PCNVR software (which is 4200 series), i didn't see an option for storage server with that software, only with the CMS, which i am running at the remote site. i am recording to an external USB drive (testing) until i decide to get a larger drive for the PC (will be a sata drive, inside the PC case).

at the remote site, i am running the client version of 4200 software and when i set it to what you mentioned (tried that before you replied back) it says something along the lines of "reconnect stream to take effect" i tried closing the stream and reconnecting and i tried closing the program...still seems to grab the 1080p version when i double click the thumbnail frame.

I have been running Hikvision iVMS-4200 for a few months. It was so non-intuitive, that I decided to type up everything I knew so I wouldn't forget. I hope everyone appreciates this: it took a while!

-Tony17112acst

Hikvision and LTS Camera Software - How to Setup Motion Recording

Hikvision's VMS is iVMS-4200, LTS's is NVMS7000. Cameras & software are the same; Hikvision software has more options.

CAMERA SETUP

1. First use the SADP.exe program to detect your cameras and change the IP addresses to your desired network settings.

- Use 12345 as admin password. You will want to change the password (in step 5) to combat internet intruders.

- Set a different Server Port for each camera to allow easy access via smart phone.

2. Start the iVMS-4200 install & select "Client" and "Storage Server" checkboxes; Storage Server is needed to record to your HD.

3. Start VMS client and select a Super User name and password.

4. In Control Panel, select Device Management. All cameras should appear in bottom section of the "Server" tab.

5. In the "Server" tab, click/select a camera (in the bottom section) and click "Add to Client" for each camera.

- Name your camera as desired. Be sure the IP address, port number, and Username/Password match camera settings.

- Uncheck box "Export to Group." We will create a group (required) after adding all cameras to the Server tab.

- The default username and password is admin and 12345. You'll want to change the password to combat internet intruders.

- Change camera password: Select camera (top section), click "Remote Configuration," select "User" in "System" section.

- Change saved password to match new password: Select camera in top section and click "Modify." Enter new password.

- Each camera should have a green round icon for "Resource Usage Status," "Signal Status," and "Hardware Status."

- The "HDD Status" and "Recording Status" may have red icons if there is no internal SD card in the camera (which is OK).

6. Click on the "Group" tab in Device Management and click the "Add Group" icon (a folder with a plus sign); name your group.

- Select the Group you just created on the left panel and click on "Import" in the right panel. Click the "Import All" button.

- Double-click on each camera to change its name to simplify, if desired.

7. In Control Panel, click on Main View. Drag each camera from the lower left panel into the right viewing area to view cameras.

STORAGE SERVER SETUP

8. Start iVMS-4200 Storage Server (NvrStorageServer.exe, or start from icon created on desktop during installation).

- Two new small icons will appear in the systray (or notification area): Storage Server and Watchdog.

9. In Device Management, Server tab, click "Add New Device Type" in the left Organization panel. Select "Storage Server."

- Select "Storage Server" in the left panel to show the storage server device. Your PC should have a static IP address.

- The IP address of the Storage Server will be the IP address of the PC since it's just a program running in memory of the PC.

- Video on a hard drive must be located on a different hard drive than the operating system. Typically C: drive cannot be used.

- Add a separate Hard Drive (best option) or partition your current HD to avoid operating system failure due to no HD space.

10. Select Storage Server in the bottom section & click "Add to Client." Name it and use admin/12345 to access the Storage Server.

- Change admin password: From Server tab, Storage Server, select Server in top section and "Remote Configuration."

- Change saved password to match new password: Select server in top section and click "Modify." Enter new password.

11. Select storage server in top section and click on Remote Configuration. Select "General" in the "Storage" section.

- Select checkbox of hard drive that will host video files (not the operating system HD) and format by clicking "Format."

EVENT SETUP (Motion Recording)

12. Select Event Management from Control Panel. For each camera in the left panel, select "Motion detection" from the Event Type.

- Check the "Enable" box, "All-day Template" from Arming Schedule drop-down, and fill in Arming Region to be monitored.

- Check boxes: Trigger Channel Record, Camera01, Trigger Client Action. Check "Audible Warning" if desired.

13. Select Storage Schedule from Control Panel. For each camera in left panel, set up the following in Storage Server section only:

- Select the Storage Server (you created) from the drop-down list, check "Record Schedule" box, select "Event Template,"

from drop-down list, set Pre-record and Post-record to 5 seconds in "Advanced Settings." Click "Save" in upper right corner.

PLAYBACK

Use Remote Playback from Control Panel. Click on date/time near bottom to change the date for playback.

- These files can be played back, but not altered or moved. This is by design so no tampering with original files is possible.

- You must create a copy of the originals to view on another PC or to preserve since they are overwritten when hard disk is full.

14. Click on System Configuration in Control Panel and select the "File" icon to choose where video files are to be exported.

To create a copy of a video segment, you must play it back and record it, which will create a new mp4 file in the folder above.

15. Start Remote Playback and click on the record button in lower right when mousing over playback box (during playback).

NOTES

Add Storage Server and Client program to Windows' Startup folder in case of power failure (set PC's BIOS to turn on).

For each Camera or Storage Server, don’t confuse changing or setting the password with entering the credentials to access it.

I have been running Hikvision iVMS-4200 for a few months. It was so non-intuitive, that I decided to type up everything I knew so I wouldn't forget. I hope everyone appreciates this: it took a while!

-Tony17112acst

thanks for taking the time to write that up. i am not longer using hikvision, but i still read it.

i have a question with this step

"- Set a different Server Port for each camera to allow easy access via smart phone."

i disagree with this. i don't think you should have to mess with the camera ports. isn't the entire purpose/point of the server to setup a VPN or port forward the server ports so you connect to the server, which you can then access 1 camera or all the cameras....?

i suppose it a user wants to directly connect to 1 camera then your advice is accurate and makes sense, but again, i assume people want to connect to the server and then view the cameras from there.

thanks.

-Tony17112acst

"- Set a different Server Port for each camera to allow easy access via smart phone."

i suppose it a user wants to directly connect to 1 camera then your advice is accurate and makes sense, but again, i assume people want to connect to the server and then view the cameras from there.

thanks.

I think he is right, because I dont think you can connect your mobile app or remote client to the ivms server directly, unless you use the PCNVR version, in order for you to view cameras remotely you will need to port fwd each camera individually. I disagree with him in regards to change internal camera port, I think you can leave it to default and just assign dif ports in your router for each camera and link it to local cam ip.

Please note that in order to play recorded files on your mobile phone you will have to add the storage server port separately and when reviewing on your phone you will select the storage server not the individual camera.

-Tony17112acst

Thank you very much for this info its very detailed and useful.

PLAYBACK

Use Remote Playback from Control Panel. Click on date/time near bottom to change the date for playback.

With your setting is it possible to review the storage server recorded files when accessing from a remote site? I have everything setup the way you advised but cannot for the life of it playback recordings remotely using ivms client.

On my mobile phone I can if I add the storage server port, but not on ivms client.

Am I doing something wrong?

-Tony17112acst

thanks.

I think he is right, because I dont think you can connect your mobile app or remote client to the ivms server directly, unless you use the PCNVR version, in order for you to view cameras remotely you will need to port fwd each camera individually. I disagree with him in regards to change internal camera port, I think you can leave it to default and just assign dif ports in your router for each camera and link it to local cam ip.

Please note that in order to play recorded files on your mobile phone you will have to add the storage server port separately and when reviewing on your phone you will select the storage server not the individual camera.

ok, if that is how the program functions (connecting to each camera) then i am really glad i ditched this software.

yes, you are right, you can use different ports, externally, and map them to the same camera port, internally.

for example, your firewall/router rules can say (assuming your firewall/router supports this)

(external) port 8180, ip 192.168.1.100 ----> port 5000 (internal)

(external) port 8181, ip 192.168.1.101 ----> port 5000 (internal)

(external) port 8182, ip 192.168.1.102 ----> port 5000 (internal)

(external) port 8183, ip 192.168.1.103 ----> port 5000 (internal)

(external) port 8184, ip 192.168.1.104 ----> port 5000 (internal)

with that being said, i am no longer port forwarding unless i absolutely must for whatever reason. best way to connect to your camera system is to setup a VPN connection. it is more secure and you don't have to mess with firewall/router rules for the cameras, NVR/camera server, etc... i realize that this isn't an option for all. if your only option is to port forward, make sure to use a strong password.

Edited by Guest

ok, if that is how the program functions (connecting to each camera) then i am really glad i ditched this software.

If I may ask which software did you use instead?, I'm in desperate need of something good for hikvision cams, and can't find anything decent for good price.

If I may ask which software did you use instead?, I'm in desperate need of something good for hikvision cams, and can't find anything decent for good price.

i went with a professional VMS application (avigilon), was not a free/cheap solution, but it does what i need it to do and works great.

Please help. I am very new with this iMVS 4200.

'Camera connection failed' when using iVMS-4500 on my iphone whilst on my phone network, but works when on my WIFI network.

I have not done any port forwarding/mapping nor VPN yet, is this what I am missing ?

Someone please guide me through?

Thanks.

'Camera connection failed' when using iVMS-4500 on my iphone whilst on my phone network, but works when on my WIFI network.

I have not done any port forwarding/mapping nor VPN yet, is this what I am missing ?

Thanks.

Yes this is exactly what your missing, you need to fwd external ports to your campera ip,

Camera 1 port 81 cam 2 port 82 cam 3 port 83 etc.

you don't need to change anything within the cameras itself.

Or if you have a nvr or pcnvr then just fwd one port to that and your all set.

Thanks Pikach for your assistance.

Where should i do this ext ports fwding, on my router ?

This is what my router port forwarding looks like .. see attached

Thanks.

Yes this is exactly what your missing, you need to fwd external ports to your campera ip,

Camera 1 port 81 cam 2 port 82 cam 3 port 83 etc.

you don't need to change anything within the cameras itself.

Or if you have a nvr or pcnvr then just fwd one port to that and your all set.

portfwd_iinet.jpg.a56a7326f20882606d4e64ac1f8e220d.jpg

-Tony17112acst

Hikvision and LTS Camera Software - How to Setup Motion Recording

Hikvision's VMS is iVMS-4200, LTS's is NVMS7000. Cameras & software are the same; Hikvision software has more options.

CAMERA SETUP

1. First use the SADP.exe program to detect your cameras and change the IP addresses to your desired network settings.

- Use 12345 as admin password. You will want to change the password (in step 5) to combat internet intruders.

- Set a different Server Port for each camera to allow easy access via smart phone.

2. Start the iVMS-4200 install & select "Client" and "Storage Server" checkboxes; Storage Server is needed to record to your HD.

3. Start VMS client and select a Super User name and password.

4. In Control Panel, select Device Management. All cameras should appear in bottom section of the "Server" tab.

5. In the "Server" tab, click/select a camera (in the bottom section) and click "Add to Client" for each camera.

- Name your camera as desired. Be sure the IP address, port number, and Username/Password match camera settings.

- Uncheck box "Export to Group." We will create a group (required) after adding all cameras to the Server tab.

- The default username and password is admin and 12345. You'll want to change the password to combat internet intruders.

- Change camera password: Select camera (top section), click "Remote Configuration," select "User" in "System" section.

- Change saved password to match new password: Select camera in top section and click "Modify." Enter new password.

- Each camera should have a green round icon for "Resource Usage Status," "Signal Status," and "Hardware Status."

- The "HDD Status" and "Recording Status" may have red icons if there is no internal SD card in the camera (which is OK).

6. Click on the "Group" tab in Device Management and click the "Add Group" icon (a folder with a plus sign); name your group.

- Select the Group you just created on the left panel and click on "Import" in the right panel. Click the "Import All" button.

- Double-click on each camera to change its name to simplify, if desired.

7. In Control Panel, click on Main View. Drag each camera from the lower left panel into the right viewing area to view cameras.

STORAGE SERVER SETUP

8. Start iVMS-4200 Storage Server (NvrStorageServer.exe, or start from icon created on desktop during installation).

- Two new small icons will appear in the systray (or notification area): Storage Server and Watchdog.

9. In Device Management, Server tab, click "Add New Device Type" in the left Organization panel. Select "Storage Server."

- Select "Storage Server" in the left panel to show the storage server device. Your PC should have a static IP address.

- The IP address of the Storage Server will be the IP address of the PC since it's just a program running in memory of the PC.

- Video on a hard drive must be located on a different hard drive than the operating system. Typically C: drive cannot be used.

- Add a separate Hard Drive (best option) or partition your current HD to avoid operating system failure due to no HD space.

10. Select Storage Server in the bottom section & click "Add to Client." Name it and use admin/12345 to access the Storage Server.

- Change admin password: From Server tab, Storage Server, select Server in top section and "Remote Configuration."

- Change saved password to match new password: Select server in top section and click "Modify." Enter new password.

11. Select storage server in top section and click on Remote Configuration. Select "General" in the "Storage" section.

- Select checkbox of hard drive that will host video files (not the operating system HD) and format by clicking "Format."

EVENT SETUP (Motion Recording)

12. Select Event Management from Control Panel. For each camera in the left panel, select "Motion detection" from the Event Type.

- Check the "Enable" box, "All-day Template" from Arming Schedule drop-down, and fill in Arming Region to be monitored.

- Check boxes: Trigger Channel Record, Camera01, Trigger Client Action. Check "Audible Warning" if desired.

13. Select Storage Schedule from Control Panel. For each camera in left panel, set up the following in Storage Server section only:

- Select the Storage Server (you created) from the drop-down list, check "Record Schedule" box, select "Event Template,"

from drop-down list, set Pre-record and Post-record to 5 seconds in "Advanced Settings." Click "Save" in upper right corner.

PLAYBACK

- These files can be played back, but not altered or moved. This is by design so no tampering with original files is possible.

- You must create a copy of the originals to view on another PC or to preserve since they are overwritten when hard disk is full.

14. Click on System Configuration in Control Panel and select the "File" icon to choose where video files are to be exported.

To create a copy of a video segment, you must play it back and record it, which will create a new mp4 file in the folder above.

15. Start Remote Playback and click on the record button in lower right when mousing over playback box (during playback).

NOTES

Add Storage Server and Client program to Windows' Startup folder in case of power failure (set PC's BIOS to turn on).

For each Camera or Storage Server, don’t confuse changing or setting the password with entering the credentials to access it.

Holy **** thank you for this, I just got a new DS-2DE3304W-DE and I was having so much trouble setting it up

It still doesn't explain how to view and playback recordings thru remote location ivms 4200, or phone app ivms4500.

I installed the iVMS4200 client and storage server on a Dell XE2 desktop. The desktop has C:\ SSD, D:\ SSD, E:\ iSCSI (NAS). The storage server is running with watchdog app in the systray. The storage server does not show up in the client. I have installed the iVMS4200 several times. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get the client to see the storage server.

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread and sorry for the hijacked. I'm new to Hikvision iVMS 4200 and hope anyone can help me here.

Does the latest version of iVMS-4200(v2.7.2.4) support PCNVR? I installed it into a windows server running on 2012 R2 and configured the storage server. I did a NAT for the storage server IP to 1 of our external IP. When I view from my mobile using ivms-4500 or hik-connect, it failed to display.

Anyone able to help? I just access all my cameras from home/outside using mobile.

Thank you

Jeffrey