fastsvo

iOS app for use with Hikvision cameras?

Hi,

I am having some trouble finding a free app (iOS) that will connect to my Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I unit.

What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance!

I have that camera and I am successfully using it with the free iOS app--the hikvision 4500 one that comes up when you search for hikvision in the Apple app store.

First things first, get this all working while the phone is on wifi before you try it with cellular plus the necessary port forwarding you'll do to let your external IP get to the camera, so that you can simplify what's going on.

The default port for the camera is 8000, so with that IOS app you should be able to put in the camera's IP address, 8000 for the port, then the username/password. If you've changed the port you can see what it was changed to by logging into the camera directly from a browser and somewhere under system you can see the ports.

If you get it working with wifi, next step is to setup the port forwarding on your router so that your external IP plus some other port (e.g. 8000, but it could be 2232 or whatever the heck you set it to), goes to the camera's internal IP and its 8000 port. Then you can set that external IP and that external IP port as the device settings in the IOS app; when you're outside on cell that external IP will work, and when you're on your local network it will work just as well, too.

iVMS-4500 is the app you should be using.

Note; it does not work with the latest release of iOS8, if you have already updated to iOS8 you will have to wait for Hikvision to update iVMS-4500, it should be here by the end of the month.

Another option is IP Cam Viewer Lite or Pro by Robert Chou. The Lite version is free and supports up to 6 cams. Works great with Hiks (and every other cam I've tried it on).

Anybody have any idea with this Hikvision 4500 how to enable live viewing on the substream? Although I can playback from my hikvision cams, when I go to live view I see a screenshot and then it crashes the camera immediately, so I cannot even do anything else to it.

With the free IP Cam Viewer app I can select "generic URL" and easily specify the substream for the camera, e.g. rtsp://admin:1122334455@192.168.1.115/h264/ch1/sub/av_stream

However, I see no way within IVS 4500 to specify substream at the time I setup the camera in devices. Under the IP address setting it appears to me it wants the camera's 8000 port, which defaults to mainstream, and not the rtsp, which is on port 554 and lets me use substream with that longer URL...?

Anybody have any idea with this Hikvision 4500 how to enable live viewing on the substream? Although I can playback from my hikvision cams, when I go to live view I see a screenshot and then it crashes the camera immediately, so I cannot even do anything else to it.

With the free IP Cam Viewer app I can select "generic URL" and easily specify the substream for the camera, e.g. rtsp://admin:1122334455@192.168.1.115/h264/ch1/sub/av_stream

However, I see no way within IVS 4500 to specify substream at the time I setup the camera in devices. Under the IP address setting it appears to me it wants the camera's 8000 port, which defaults to mainstream, and not the rtsp, which is on port 554 and lets me use substream with that longer URL...?

iVMS-4500 defaults to SUBSTREAM. When you are live viewing the camera, you can change the stream using the icons beneath the live view. Port 8000 is for both main and substream.

So, if the program is crashing, it is not due to the fact that you are watching the substream.

iVMS-4500 defaults to SUBSTREAM. When you are live viewing the camera, you can change the stream using the icons beneath the live view. Port 8000 is for both main and substream.

So, if the program is crashing, it is not due to the fact that you are watching the substream.

Oh, great, thanks for that clarification.

I didn't try on both of my cams, but the one I've been working on most (3MP turret) I find that when I locally load the web browser its main stream comes up 99% of the time without issue, but if I then click on substream it crashes the camera 9/10 times. Also when I click live-view on the 4500 app I get just a snapshot, then it crashes the camera. Similarly, if I use the rtsp://blahblah URL for it in VLC--you get one guess--it crashes the camera. So I used IP Cam Viewer from the app store, got the turret and a cube configured. Cube works beautifully for live-view, but the turret I only managed to get to test out once, and now it...you know where this is going (that's right, crashes the camera). So maybe it's just some camera issue I need to sort.

UPDATE And now, inexplicably to me, all three cameras are working in live view without crashing anything. Strange, oh well. Not complaining for now

UPDATE AGAIN: I figured out the problem. This app uses the substream. On these cameras if snapshots are set to take, the cameras will crash (at least on firmware 5.1.2) when you're viewing substream and the camera tries to take a snapshot. In my case snapshots only work, maddeningly, WHILE I'm viewing substream, and so I can only get a few snapshots when I switch to substream (either with this app or on web browser) and then the camera crashes anyway