Sign in to follow this  
mikea66

Wanscam HW0025 frame rate

Hi Guys, i'm hoping someone here can help me with my frame rate problem, I purchased a Tenvis outdoor ip camera last year, the camera is fine for what I need and runs at 25 fps throughout the day, but in the evening it slows to around 8 fps and does not return to 25 fps until the following day, thinking it was a problem with the camera I decided to buy the Wanscam HW0025 1 mega pixel dome camera, good picture with almost 30 fps in the day but the same problem occurs in the evening when it drops to 8 fps, after some thought I realized that Sky broadband slows down the bandwidth at certain times so I changed over to BT as they advertise that they don't slow you down, after changing to BT the problem is just the same, yet when I use a bandwidth checker i'm getting around the 18mbs speed, so I dont think it's my broadband, I am using a AMD dual core processor running at 3600 with 4gb of fast memory and a 1gb ATI graphics card and using iSpy software for the camera ( only one camera being used ), it's doing my head in now and I probably would have ripped it off the wall if it wasn't 15 feet up! Any help regarding this matter would be much appreciated, thanks in advance guys, Mike.

At night, two things happen, camera noise increases which increases the bandwidth requirements and shutter speed increases making it physically impossible to achieve higher frame rates, for example, if shutter speed increases to 1/10th of a second, the physically fastest frame rate you can get is 10 fps. When you factor in compression and image processing, it's going to be less, maybe 6-8fps. There may be a setting in the camera were you can set the max shutter speed to 1//60th and allow you to maintain the higher frame rate. Then use external illuminators to brighten the scene.

Hi, thanks for your reply, it all makes sense once you see it written down, wish I had asked first now, thanks to you my hair should start growing back again soon appreciate the reply and thanks again, Mike.