NolliTV

Finally Update Camera to 5.1 Now Can't Ping Camera

Well I was excited to see this from Hikvision TFTP see pic below. Then, I tried to add camera back to my network...not showing up. I ping the camera at it's default IP address 192.0.0.64 unreachable. So, I launch TFTP again and restarted the camera...it found it and proceeded to update again...still can't find IP address when ping. I got the Chinese 5.1 from WrightwoodSurveillance.com.

Anyone knows what's going on? My camera is DS-2CD853F-E

s.1update.thumb.jpg.78e09eeae518a806f075b19cef176b51.jpg

I noticed that sometimes after a TFTP upgrade, the camera will reset the IP address, I would try to find with SADP or iVMS-4200 and change the IP address back (or turn on DHCP if that is your setup)

Also once it is done with the TFTP upgrade, shut down the TFTP server on the computer, if you keep it up, the camera will just restart the firmware upgrade process all over again.

What IP are you pinging from?

Does SADP see the camera?

I am pinging from 192.0.0.128...I used IMVS4200 and it couldn't find the camera. However, when I launch TFTP again, it found it okay but if I try to ping at the same time, the camera is unreachable.

I noticed that sometimes after a TFTP upgrade, the camera will reset the IP address, I would try to find with SADP or iVMS-4200 and change the IP address back (or turn on DHCP if that is your setup)

I used IVMS-4200 to find with no luck both on a MacOS 10.9 and on Windows 7.

Also once it is done with the TFTP upgrade, shut down the TFTP server on the computer, if you keep it up, the camera will just restart the firmware upgrade process all over again.

The first time I completed the upgrade I was so excited to see the completion I forgot to shut down the TFTP server immediately. When I remembered, it has not restarted the process again...so I shut down the server. Now, I realize I couldn't find the camera, I thought that the process might have begun when I shutdown the server even though it was not visible on the monitor. So, I relaunch TFTP, and do the process over then shutdown immediately after completion.

Just updated the camera again making sure firewall disabled and the camera plugged directly to the laptop. Got the same completion as posted before then tried to ping...here is result.

ping.thumb.jpg.bd991c9840fabf64ac276d39d40666d8.jpg

Is there a reason you have not used SADP to check the IP?

It is located on the disc that comes with the camera as well as online here: download/file.php?id=6715

SADP is built in IVMS 4200 and it didn't find it as well as I installed SADP separately...still didn't find it. Not sure why you thought it would.

I pm'ed you in case you want to send me the camera, I can reset it with whatever firmware you want in English.

Thanks for the offer (I hadn't read your message yet). I tried resetting with a paper clip...didn't either. Can you please share here how to do the resetting...I figure it might involve opening the camera.

To be clear, my Chinese friend and former classmate who is back in China gave me cameras I have (all DS-2CD853F-E, they're Chinese camera). I got only the firmware from Wrghtwood.

You can reset the camera by pressing the reset button as you have and hold it while connecting the camera to power (PoE or 12V) and hold it for about 10 seconds. After the camera boots up, you should see it in SADP with an IP of 192.0.0.64 and you can change it there. If you don't see it in SADP, it could be Winpcap did not get installed properly, try installing the latest version separately from the Winpcap website.

FWIW when I did mine recently to 5.2.0 I had my eye on the "updated completed" and instantly shut down the TFTP. I then also could not ping the camera at 192.0.0.64, even after a few min. only after rebooting the camera once more would it ping at 192.0.0.64 to another PC with the 192.0.0.128 IP address manually selected and both physically plugged into the same switch. It also couldn't hurt to download a free IP address scanner (or fing if you have an iphone) and see if it popped up there.

You can reset the camera by pressing the reset button as you have and hold it while connecting the camera to power (PoE or 12V) and hold it for about 10 seconds. After the camera boots up, you should see it in SADP with an IP of 192.0.0.64 and you can change it there. If you don't see it in SADP, it could be Winpcap did not get installed properly, try installing the latest version separately from the Winpcap website.

I did that (pressing the reset button as well as installed Winpcap 4.1.3) nothing...even tried installing US 5.1 then the Chinese version which completed...nothing.

I now believe the IP address has been blocked...evil Hikvision. I email the tech support in China...lets see whether I shall receive a response.

FWIW when I did mine recently to 5.2.0 I had my eye on the "updated completed" and instantly shut down the TFTP. I then also could not ping the camera at 192.0.0.64, even after a few min. only after rebooting the camera once more would it ping at 192.0.0.64 to another PC with the 192.0.0.128 IP address manually selected and both physically plugged into the same switch. It also couldn't hurt to download a free IP address scanner (or fing if you have an iphone) and see if it popped up there.

It just seems that chasing IP address scanner isn't the solution! The camera should automatically reboot after the upgrade...correct?

Mine have always automatically rebooted after an update. I usually wait until they're back online, then power cycle them to be sure.

Well, I contacted Hikvision support in China and asked for the original firmware that was last on the camera (firmware 3.0). They replied and provided the firmware...of course; my camera is back online. So, I dropped Hikvision a note to let them know that all is good as well as suggested that if they have a later firmware that offers improvement to not hesitate to share.

I am not sure what kind of "Chinese 5.1 firmware" Wrightwood has...I do know it's not compatible with my camera (DS-2CD853F-E) which, according to 5.1 release note includes my camera.

No, the versions that Wrightwood has only works on camera models they sell which is the Raptor firmware, it will not work on the camera model you have.

No, the versions that Wrightwood has only works on camera models they sell which is the Raptor firmware, it will not work on the camera model you have.

I wondered what is this "Raptor firmware." Wrightwood should provide greater transparency about what they post on their site so as to not mislead anyone. I had saw at another site. They should have a BIG WARNING.

[MOD: edited to remove link]

Well, I found the possible meaning of "RAPTOR" in the Raptor firmware - Regional Analysis of Police Technology, Operations and Reporting.

If that's the case I don't understand why Wrightwood would placed such firmware available to the general public. I'll try to contact them.

Raptor is Hik's marketing name for that series of cameras. If that's what it's an acronym for, it's just breathless marketing - more funny than anything. Hik also has the downloads available under that marketing name - no credentials required.

Raptor is Hik's marketing name for that series of cameras. If that's what it's an acronym for, it's just breathless marketing - more funny than anything. Hik also has the downloads available under that marketing name - no credentials required.

Thanks for sharing...so, what makes a camera "Raptor"...please, do you know...curious to find an answer. Also, I do see others call their camera Raptor as well...no Hik alone.

What makes a Hikvision a Raptor is that it's part of their 2CD2XXX line, though they're moving away from that branding on the European portal and in their recent marketing material. I haven't checked the US download site.

Other cameras use the Raptor name as part of their branding because it implies high speed, low drag, bad-boy performance.

Raptor is used as a name for trucks, pharmaceuticals, tools, hard drives, sports teams, financial services, games, knives, guns, you name it. The Latin means "thief", but modern usage is for birds of prey (like hawks and such), and many associate it with velociraptors from Jurassic Park.

The branding is all just marketing, though.