I'm looking to install 3 IP cameras and 3 IP dome cameras at a community centre, however they don't have broadband yet, they're looking to get it within the next 3 months. My questions are, do I need a 8CH NVR that has 8 POE ports or can I use an NVR with a seperate POE unit (bearing in mind there is no broadband at the property as of yet).

My second question is, when I called the supplier about an 8CH NVR, he was saying it is better to use the same branded cameras as the NVR because some ip cameras do not work, however when I checked the Hikvision website, it says on most NVR's they support third party cameras, is this correct?

Can anyone recommend an NVR for 6 cameras that supports third party IP cameras please.

1. Yes you can connect a switch to an NVR without having any kind of broadband.

2. Yes HikVision does support 3rd Party Cameras. The Picture below shows you what cameras they support.

645582393_ScreenShot2014-10-06at7_38_51PM.png.c9afa932226cff384380381d1cad89ba.png

You're always better using the same brand cameras as the NVR. Whatever the claims on paper, 3rd party support can be a gamble in terms of full function. There's enough great choices of Hik cameras to be able to stick with them if it's a Hik NVR you choose.

Just to confirm I can use POE switch with a 8CH NVR and it's fine to view the footage. I can't get my head around how does it give you a video signal if the POE carried to the WAN port of the NVR?

Just to confirm I can use POE switch with a 8CH NVR and it's fine to view the footage. I can't get my head around how does it give you a video signal if the POE carried to the WAN port of the NVR?

Yes you will be able to view the cameras on a switch, just make sure you manually enter the camera ip address in your camera settings in the NVRe and change ports to Manual instead of Plug and Play.

Not really sure what you are asking, but POE does not go through the LAN on the back of the NVR.

Ok my existing setup is 700TVL cameras, am I better off upgrading these to HD-SDI cameras rather than run a whole new setup on IP, as I believe you can use the existing cabling?

HD-SDI is very tricky. Better try to find HD-CVI; they don't have the same video quality as IP/SDI Megapixel, but they will work if your current cabling isn't very good - SDI will not work with poor cables/lots of interferences/ect.

Ok my existing setup is 700TVL cameras, am I better off upgrading these to HD-SDI cameras rather than run a whole new setup on IP, as I believe you can use the existing cabling?

You can always use your existing cabling to pull in your new Cat6 cabling