HKuser

What questions would you ask Hikvision R&D?

My company happens to have a meeting with a few of the Hikvision R&D folks from their corporate Hong Kong site in a couple of weeks, and I thought it would be good to get some ideas on potential questions.

I was thinking about asking them about their future video analytics features, esp around support for facial or license plate recognition?

Any new illuminator technologies they are looking at? It seems most folks have to add additional illuminators.

Any other good topics? Thanks.

Note: I am not going to ask them any tech support, ease of use, etc type of questions.

Yes

Touchscreen keyboards need more user lock down facilities,

Touchscreen keyboards need to access the nvr video outputs same way as a decoder does

They need to properly engineer their protocols as pelco is not true pelco and vcl is a load of crAp, stops commands are wrong so just keep going.

Ivms software monitor outputs need more tiles available . Only have 1,4,6,8,9,16 how about option to make your own tiles and output size..

Super nvr has 4 gig ports these should have option to load balance betwern and not just fault tollorance, esp when you have 400mbps coming in

Ask them when they will be releasing some low cost 4k or 10MP+ cameras. If they could release a 4k camera on a level with their DS-2cd2032 (Swann HD-820Cam), that would be insane and amazing. We want 3840 x 2160 resolution (or higher) as soon as possible. If they could release one at a good price, they would sell like super hotcakes.

Ask them when they will be releasing some low cost 4k or 10MP+ cameras. If they could release a 4k camera on a level with their DS-2cd2032 (Swann HD-820Cam), that would be insane and amazing. We want 3840 x 2160 resolution (or higher) as soon as possible. If they could release one at a good price, they would sell like super hotcakes.

$200 Hkvision 4K camera and $5000 client machine to display the video.... can't wait!!

$200 Hkvision 4K camera and $5000 client machine to display the video.... can't wait!!

Curious where you get the $5000 number from? I can easily display 4k streams on a 5 year old workstation turned into a server build with no issues. I think $5000 is way off base for what is needed to use 4k cameras. Lots of my old junky equipment handles 4k pretty easily. And with sets like the Seiki 4K 40 inch tv sets down to $300 at one point (hovering around $400 now), it makes 4K a viable solution. 2015 is turning out to be the year of 4K surveillance equipment.

I agree, especially combined with better compression algorithms, It could be 4K does not take up much more disk space than the current 3MP stuff they have. Then figure the new 6TB HDD, the entire eco system to support 4K surveillance is coming together.

I would like to know if they are going to come out with 1080P mini bullets, domes, eyeballs with their new low light sensor they are using in their new box cameras.

I would like to know if they are going to come out with 1080P mini bullets, domes, eyeballs with their new low light sensor they are using in their new box cameras.

From what I was told 1st Q 2015 will have DarkFighter tech in other form factors.

Curious where you get the $5000 number from? I can easily display 4k streams on a 5 year old workstation turned into a server build with no issues. I think $5000 is way off base for what is needed to use 4k cameras. Lots of my old junky equipment handles 4k pretty easily. And with sets like the Seiki 4K 40 inch tv sets down to $300 at one point (hovering around $400 now), it makes 4K a viable solution. 2015 is turning out to be the year of 4K surveillance equipment.

Well the systems we work on have hundreds of cameras so client machines will have to decode many 4K streams (if the camera doesn't support multi streaming and VMS client can't handle multi streaming). For enterprise customers there is a lot more to it than just upgrading the cameras to 4K.

FYI I am still waiting for the AXIS 4K camera I ordered weeks ago.

Well the systems we work on have hundreds of cameras so client machines will have to decode many 4K streams (if the camera doesn't support multi streaming and VMS client can't handle multi streaming). For enterprise customers there is a lot more to it than just upgrading the cameras to 4K.

FYI I am still waiting for the AXIS 4K camera I ordered weeks ago.

Guess it depends on the scenario. If you were doing a new roll out where you wanted to use all 4k cameras versus just having a few 4k cams deployed in key areas, etc. For an existing location you could just slowly phase in a couple 4k cameras here and there without having to upgrade too much hardware. For my home system, I just want to add two 4k cameras, the rest would remain 3mp for now.

Is it the P1428-E you're waiting for? Did they say why they haven't sent it yet? That one was supposed to be available last month. Was hoping to see some reviews on it by now. Looks nice from the spec sheet.

Only two from me

1 - curiosity about 4k based around the 2cd2032 as others have mentioned

2 - On their raptor platform are they considering looking at motion events overlay on the blue timeline for constant record. so its a constant blue timeline but with pink overlay for motion events. I like to record continuously but highlight any motion areas for review.

They should sychronise the functionality between the NVR native interface and the NVR web interface. For example:

1. The events logged in the NVR have more detailed description in the native NVR than in the web interface.

2. The EZcloud functionality appears in the NVR native interface but not in the web interface.

3. Validating the proper functionality of the various settings (especially in the network) should appear on both native and web interface.

4. The functioning of the DDNS and the email should be made more robust. As of now there are cases where both of these functions fail to operate and there is no notification of any sort to the operator.

5. The motion detection mechanism fails many times rendering it unreliable.

In general HIK Vision must pay more attention to the reliability of their software and proper documentation. No commercial distributor will ever do this job for them. In fact it is the users that are doing this job by experimenting in this (and other) forums.

An easy way to embed player / feed from any of the 2xxx cams in a webpage

or is there now ?, please tell if there is

Get rid the of the ActiveX requirement for viewing the cams/NVRs.

Make the web browser work any every platform, including Linux?

Get rid the of the ActiveX requirement for viewing the cams/NVRs.

Make the web browser work any every platform, including Linux?

It would be nice to be able to see my cams on my Sony PS4 as well.