Sign in to follow this  
gonzogg

PoE IP Cam Short circuit

I covered all the cameras and sprayed for spiders around the house. It looks like liquid got into some connectors and ruin 3 cameras. I am assuming because a short circuit. Any idea if this cameras can be fixed?

They are Hik DS-2CD2032-I

I covered all the cameras and sprayed for spiders around the house. It looks like liquid got into some connectors and ruin 3 cameras. I am assuming because a short circuit. Any idea if this cameras can be fixed?

They are Hik DS-2CD2032-I

I don't see how that would happen if you had the camera covered, even if the camera wasn't covered I can't see 3 cameras all breaking. I guess you can check the connection where the Ethernet plugs into the camera and make sure the connector isn't filled with liquid.

I did covered the cameras, but not the connectors, and I didn't use the waterproof adapter that came with the cameras (big lesson learned). People make sure to waterproof the Ethernet connector. The plugs looks ok, however, the led doesnt't turn red when I connect the camera to the switch, like no power is getting to the camera. That's why I think it was a short circuit.

Do any of the cameras work on poe? Is it a built in nic, or external poe switch? Could be something popped in the switch. I would imagine they have some built in protection. can you check to see if you have voltage between the blue & brown pairs?

PoE switch is fine. I replaced the cameras with another ones, and they are using the same switch PoE ports. I have the three damaged cameras on my desk and they work with external power supply, but not PoE.

Try to clean the gunk out of the female cat 5 connector... Q-tips and something that'll evaporate and won't leave residue, contact cleaner, rubbing alcohol.

Sounds like the POE modules got fried

That is why you can use the camera on 12volts, the 12volt injector bypasses the poe module.

You can either replace those cameras or run a 18/2 power supply cable to each and power with a 12 volt power supply.