Dirk_D

NAS instead of hard drive for Dahua DVR / NVR?

How are people doing this?

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of the system. For a basic system you only want to check once in a while, a DVR with a Hard drive will save you money versus a NAS.

A NAS can be multi-protocol: NFS, FTP, CIFS/SAMBA. The true fact is that DAHUA uses a very well crafted filesystem (something like a RAW mode) to keep recordings on local HDDs. NAS forces some protocols and some limits.

BTW, don't confuse NAS that access cameras and records it with NAS as a secondary drive/backup solution.

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of the system. For a basic system you only want to check once in a while, a DVR with a Hard drive will save you money versus a NAS.

I'm interested in this for the very rare instance where a burglary takes place and the DVR along with the internal hard drive is taken.

It's a very rare occurrence for this to happen, and I've made what I call break away hard drives that are concealed....but with those we're limited by SATA. Here's a thread of I think the first time I did this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23401&start=15

I'm interested in this for the very rare instance where a burglary takes place and the DVR along with the internal hard drive is taken.

It's a very rare occurrence for this to happen, and I've made what I call break away hard drives that are concealed....but with those we're limited by SATA. Here's a thread of I think the first time I did this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23401&start=15

It is indeed not likely to happen (in truth most people live their lives without a burglary), but if you've gone as far as installing cameras I think it's prudent to consider such an eventuality.

My cams record to a primary PC but also are in parallel sending FTP images to a USB drive that is supported by my router. My router is exceedingly difficult to locate and you'd have to track wires up inside a wall to figure out where it is, so I expect a thief even smart enough to walk off with my PC is probably not smart enough to go tracking down such things, else he'd probably have a real job, frankly.

there's an FTP option that I know nothing about yet

Explore that and use it as a second/backup option. Primary recording is done on NVR's HDD. Also, be advise: you can always conceal your NVR as you did with your router - that's the beauty of an IP system.