PeteCress

Where Are The High ISO Values?

This probably means I am missing something, but it seems to me like there is a need for shutter speeds higher than 1/30th of a second - and the concurrent higher ISO values.

Not needing high frame rates, I can see: chews up bandwidth and motion is not enhanced.

But, for surveillence, it seems like shutter speeds of 1/60th, 1/120th and even 1/250th would be useful for identification of moving targets.

And, at night, higher ISO would really help.

So... what am I missing?

This probably means I am missing something, but it seems to me like there is a need for shutter speeds higher than 1/30th of a second - and the concurrent higher ISO values.

Not needing high frame rates, I can see: chews up bandwidth and motion is not enhanced.

But, for surveillence, it seems like shutter speeds of 1/60th, 1/120th and even 1/250th would be useful for identification of moving targets.

And, at night, higher ISO would really help.

So... what am I missing?

ISO = GAIN

You can set the maximum shutter speed for auto exposure in most cameras. I tend to set it at 1/30th for general purpose, about 1/200th for special purpose like license plate recognition. Some brands even let you set a fixed shutter speed, but some like Hikvision do not. Some cameras have aperture control too via iris control. More gain like more ISO equals more noise and most brands set gain more aggressively than I like to achieve the Lux rating they claim.

Some cameras allow you to set this via the web interface, some hidden settings are available via URL commands.