TheCameraManCan

Hikvision with Netgeat readyshare NAS

Just wanted to share with the forum that I finally figured out how to get a readyshare file share to serve as a NAS for my camera.

Router: Netgear R6300v2 (Firmware Version V1.0.3.8_1.0.60)

NAS Device: 3 TB Western Digital My Book

Camera: Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS (Firmware V5.1.6 build 140412)

The My Book NAS device is connected to the router using the USB 3.0 port.

First, create the folder on your NAS device

- Click "New Folder" after browsing to "//readyshare/USB_Storage". Let's call this folder "camerastorage".

You should now be able to browse to "//readyshare/USB_Storage/camerastorage". Make sure this folder is completely empty.

Second, set up the share on the router.

- Log onto the router, click on the Advanced tab

- In the left hand navigation, expand "USB Storage" and click "Advanced Settings".

- Click "Create Network Folder" button

- click the "Browse" button and select the new folder you just created

- *IMPORTANT* - Select "admin" for both read and write dropdowns. This is the account with which you logged onto the router.

Test the share - make sure you can access it using your router's IP address. I.E. file:///usb_storage/camerastorage/

Thirdly, configure your camera to use the NAS

- Log onto the camera, go to the "NAS" tab in to storage section

- Use these values:

Server Address - IP Address of your router

File Path - /camerastorage *Do not include USB_Storage*

Mounting Type - SMB/CIFS

User Name - admin (this is the account you selected in the dropdown in the second step - the account with which you log onto your router)

Password - password for admin

- click save

- go to the storage management tab and format your NAS

That's it!

Took me a long time to figure out all the precise settings but it is working beautifully for me.

This is great to outline the steps so well, somebody is likely to benefit from this.

My router has USB 3.0 but after much testing I've found it's worthless (it's a linksys ea6200). The problem is after a time the USB 3.0 trashes the 2.4 ghz. Interference from usb 3.0 is well documented in that spectrum, and my router "shields" it, but apparently not well enough. I use a USB 2.0 external with it as an FTP server now. Seemed to be real hit or miss, but one night I was able to duplicate the problem back and forth as I unplugged it, and now for a week with 2.0 no issues at all. Pretty disappointing, because 2.0 is slow as heck

More or less threw my readynas 104 in the bin, proper sack of rubbish. HP Microserver for the win, worked out about the same price as the readynas too! wont buy neatgear nas again as the new firmware platform which came out at the time hardly had any features and was full of bugs, pretty shocking.

Quick update.

A week or so later, it just mysteriously quit working. I don't know why - I rebooted when I made the above configuration. But it did work, and worked well for several weeks.

My best hypothesis is that some other files I moved to the disk via FTP, a virus scan, or Carbonite may have "seen" the drive and done something to it when it backed up the files. Too many variables to isolate.

hope people still accessing this post, have tried everything that has been mentioned but keep getting this message "Mounting to NAS server failed. Invalid directory or incorrect user name/password." any help most appreciated.