Sign in to follow this  
grommett

Recommend a camera?

Hello

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this is a stupid question but the sheer choice of cameras on the internet is mind blowing. I know what I want so hopefully you can come up with some suggestions for a budget camera. Here is my check list...

Outdoor

IR/night vision

PoE

wide angle (90 agrees)

720 resolution

I am mounting next to my front door so small size is useful and pan/tilt is not required.

Budget price please.

I already have a Foscam covering my driveway and I am archiving footage on my computer so bundled software is not important.

I was looking at a sony that has "smart IR" - is this a gimmick or worth having?

Thanks

Grommett.

It is probably going to be easier to find a 1.3 meg camera than a 720 it seems they bottem resloution has moved up and fewer 720s are being made. Smart IR is system that adjusts the IR output if something gets closer to the camera and the reflected light will wash out the image if a sensor doesn't dim it. It will cost extra. a varifocal lens will allow you to get the best view as you can adjust field of view and focus. These things will cost more than a bottem end camera but if you can't see what you want to see why spend any money.

I suppose I should have been more specific than "budget" I don't mind spending £80-£120 GBP which I would consider to be budget but not the very bottom of the market.

Would this be any good? Does it have smart IR? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881400025

That is the same camera internally, but in a bullet version...it will not give you the wide angle you need as its not available in your budget range..

The 2132 dome is only two axis and cannot be wall mounted..

I would look at the hikvision 2332 turret with a 2.8mm lens http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7872

Given your budget you might consider the hikvision DS-2CD2532-I(S) or DS-2CD2512-I(S) mini dome cameras with 2.8mm lenses...the ir is a weaker but that is not an issue at the front door...they include a built in mic (S model only) and sd card slot to record locally.