PeteCress

HikVision DS-2CD2032-I: Time Synch Location-Dependent?

I've got seven of these things.

Five of them are here at home behind an ordinary router connected to Verizon FIOS and time synch works a-ok: pool.ntp.org, port 123

Two of them are down at the New Jersey shore behind a Comcast cable modem/router/switch. Same time server address, same port... and they both throw "Failed to connect the test server" (sic) when I click the "Test" button.

I can link to both cams from home.

??

try

time.windows.com ntp port 123

Almost the same result.

"Almost" because time.windows.com does not even work from home.

I should have added that pool.ntp.org is pingable - both from the problem site and from home, whereas time.windows.com is not pingable from either site.

try

time.windows.com ntp port 123

Almost the same result.

"Almost" because time.windows.com does not even work from home.

I should have added that pool.ntp.org is pingable - both from the problem site and from home, whereas time.windows.com is not pingable from either site.

time.windows.com has never been reliable for me. I've always set servers to country.pool.ntp.org for example uk.pool.ntp.org

time.windows.com has never been reliable for me. I've always set servers to country.pool.ntp.org for example uk.pool.ntp.org

+1.

I always use es.pool.ntp.org

It is reasonably common that NTP servers are configured not to respond to ping requests, so no response to ping is not a good indicator that the NTP server is not responding to NTP requests.

Some NTP servers have limits on the polling rates, so manually testing can give a result that the NTP server is not responding, but it is not responding by design.

It is reasonably common that NTP servers are configured not to respond to ping requests, so no response to ping is not a good indicator that the NTP server is not responding to NTP requests.

Some NTP servers have limits on the polling rates, so manually testing can give a result that the NTP server is not responding, but it is not responding by design.

But it all still begs the question of why the same make/model cam at home can reach pool.ntp.org while it's analog at another site cannot - even though pool.ntp.org can be pinged from the problem site.

Do you have any firewall / port blocking in your cable modem / router?

Do other users with the same cable modem / router have the same issue?

But it all still begs the question of why the same make/model cam at home can reach pool.ntp.org while it's analog at another site cannot - even though pool.ntp.org can be pinged from the problem site.

Check those cameras network config, make sure they have working DNS.

Check those cameras network config, make sure they have working DNS.

If one assumes that, somehow, Ping gets to an address differently than the code behind the camera's Test button this seems logical.

But in fact, the problem cams all point to the Comcast cable modem/router/switch for their DNS server - as the "good" cams at home point to my Cisco router.

Still, I'm going with the general idea: something mis-configured in the Comcast device that is getting in the way of the camera's Test button code.

I will find a Comcast forum and try posting that idea.... and report back.