Sign in to follow this  
j4str

cheap poe IP cameras

I'm trying to figure out what it will cost to put a camera system together. My plan is to start out with cheap cameras and upgrade them one at a time as time goes on and I was originally hoping to find them for about $50 each but it seems like that is unrealistic. I realize this will cost more in the long run, but I'm also looking at short distances where I don't need a lot of detail.

i should also mention i want something that will work. When i say cheap, i mean i want the cheapest that will actually function as advertised.

I'm trying to figure out what it will cost to put a camera system together. My plan is to start out with cheap cameras and upgrade them one at a time as time goes on and I was originally hoping to find them for about $50 each but it seems like that is unrealistic. I realize this will cost more in the long run, but I'm also looking at short distances where I don't need a lot of detail.

i should also mention i want something that will work. When i say cheap, i mean i want the cheapest that will actually function as advertised.

hikvision 2032 bullet or 2332/3332 turrets...

The 2032 can be had for 85 dollars on aliexpress,.

The 2332 can be had for about 95 and can be had with a 2.8mm wide angle lens...and has very good ir.

.dont waste you money on total junk..

That seems pretty doable. I was hoping for cheaper, but I want my stuff to at least be functional. I think I will probably start with 6 and eventually end up with 12 or more. As I add more I can get higher end cameras.

There is way cheaper than that. Here's one for under $38 shipped. Don't let our expensive tastes cloud your judgment

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1-0MP-720P-PoE-HD-IP-IR-Camera-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Infrared-Night-Vision-IR/2055430648.html

would those function as advertised? Or would they be more trouble than they are worth. Im satisfied with skimping on resolution for price, but not reliabilty

Edit: Sorry, I can't read.

IP cameras are generally going to be the more expensive option. If you don't want to spend more than around $50 a camera, just don't expect miracles from them. I wouldn't be worried about the image or features not working for you. The problem with cheaper cameras is usually longevity; they just don't last as long. If you're already committed to upgrading in the near future, I would spend the money on a good quality NVR now and stick to $30-$50 cameras to learn off of.

You don't need to worry about whether or not a $50 camera is going to suck. The answer is always yes when being compared to something on a more professional level.

Why don't you decide on a system type and/or a resolution that you find acceptable so people can make more specific suggestions. So far people have been suggesting IP cameras. That's almost always your most expensive and highest quality route but also your best possibility for any and all future upgrades.

i really can't decide. My goal was to get in to a cheap system that i can easily upgrade over time. Starting out, i really have no requirement for resolution. 480 tvi would be perfectly acceptable to me, since most of my locations are set up to record at 10' and under. Id like to put most of my budget in to a really nice NVR, but seeing how i eventually want 12+ cameras, a 16 channel nvr seems to really be out of the budget. I may just have to go with a DVR kit, since it seems to be more in my budget, but i don't consider that to be upgradable.

Are there any 16 port NVR's out there (that are worth a ****) for under, say $1,000???

to really give a better idea of whats going on. We are converting the back half of our house in to a dedicated home day care. Im spending every dime we have getting it remodeled, but id like to get at least some sort of camera system installed. It would be nice to know (as a rough example), if there is a dispute, what time parents arrived or maybe what employees are up to. So facial recognition isnt' a high priority, especially since the cameras are set at less than 10' with great indoor lighting. Eventually, i don't mind spending 3-5k on a system, but its not in the budget right now, but id like to get a decent NVR so its easy to upgrade in the future

There are lots of systems under 1k 300-500 but they wont work with the cheap cameras..with an NVR you need to match manufacturers or you are asking for trouble...Whatever you do make sure to run cat5/6 cable now while you have the walls open...you can run cheaper cameras with a pc based nvr software like blue iris...but if i were you i would get a hikvision camera like the 2532-is (s version with audio) they have SD card slots..you dont even need an NVR if you dont need long term recording...get the 2.8mm version to cover large areas/rooms...they can be had for about 150...just get a few of those until you figure it out..it makes no sense to get an NVR and then decide on the cameras later..