Sign in to follow this  
redalert

Recommend an NVR for 6 3mp cams

I currently have 5 3mp hikvision cams running from a Dahua NVR4208-8P but when I set the image quality to full there is stuttering on the screen and the output will actually freeze, setting the image quality to medium resolves the issue. I'm sure its due to the processor in the nvr and it's just too much to handle. Overall the nvr is pretty good except for that issue. Can you recommend a more robust NVR or would I be better running some type of server with a more robust processing speed? I was thinking a i3 lenovo server running win 7 or even server 2012. Also If I go this route is it better to get a dedicated graphics card or can I get by with integrated graphics. Thanks in advance.

I currently have 5 3mp hikvision cams running from a Dahua NVR4208-8P but when I set the image quality to full there is stuttering on the screen and the output will actually freeze, setting the image quality to medium resolves the issue. I'm sure its due to the processor in the nvr and it's just too much to handle. Overall the nvr is pretty good except for that issue. Can you recommend a more robust NVR or would I be better running some type of server with a more robust processing speed? I was thinking a i3 lenovo server running win 7 or even server 2012. Also If I go this route is it better to get a dedicated graphics card or can I get by with integrated graphics. Thanks in advance.

You dont need a dedicated graphics card regardless of the software used...why dont you just run hikvisions free vms on the pc?

There are lots of options paid options, xprotect, exaq, and a bunch of others but they wont come cheap...Blue iris is great and has tons of options but will require an i7 haswell (fourth generation for those cams and to have some headroom)...i think your first mistake was runing hikvision cams on a dahua nvr...dont mix and match regardless of what they say..if you get an NVR then get a hikvision...

Thanks for the input. I like the dedicated software route because the dahua and most nvrs don't allow having 3x3 split on the monitor. Another question is if I run outputs on 2 monitors will it be more cpu overhead? Thanks.