LewisO

Hikvision Cameras and NVRs via Mac OS X access

Hi all, I've been struggling to understand Hikvision's access when trying to use them on Mac OS X computers.

First, several stand alone cameras seem to work just fine with Safari Browser access. I've installed the web compenent plugin, I can access the cameras, get a grey themed login screen and it all works OK.

In trying to access some Hikvision NVR's and some newer cameras, I get to the login screen, but it's a red or maroon color background, and inputing the user and password, results in nothing happening.

So, I'm wondering if this is a firmware issue? a browser issue, a plugin version issue, or simply a Mac issue. I really need Mac access and not fall back to a PC. Interestingly enough, iVMS 4500 in my iPhone works OK, on accessing any of these cameras or NVRs. I also noticed iVMS 4200 on a Snow Leopard computer cannot connect to the NVRs, but iVMS 4200 on a Mavericks Mac can. Though these too have issues with image quality, connecting to cameras, etc. It just seems there's no consistancy in getting the Hikvision systems/cameras to work with Mac OS X. I know Apple has been releasing OS updates almost yearly, perhaps this is part of the reason? Though I've had issues with browser access in Windows too esepcially when trying to reach NVRs.

Any insights into what is going on, would be absolutely most appreciated.

Using Hikvision with Mac OS X.

So far, what I've discovered. Hikvision seems to have a iVMS 4200 v1.01 and a Hikvision v1.02, though the v1.02 says Lion, it seems to just plain work better in everything I've tested from OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to OS X 10.9.x Mavericks! I can connect to earlier cameras and later cameras and more importantly, it seems to connect to Hikvision NVR's which v1.01 seems not to.

As far as the Mac OS X browser plugin – that's even worse. I can connect to some older cameras I have using Safari in OS X 10.6.8, but anytime the red login window comes up, the newer cameras and the Hikvision NVR's, it doesn't want to connect at all! I get the feeling the Mac OS X browser plugin is poorly supported and updated. It's too bad as it's quick and easy to show someone a Hikvision system and it's quality by going to a browser and entering the IP and the username and password. What I too like about the browser, when it works, is that one can not only drag the magnifying glass icon to zoom in on a section of the image, but one can go literally full screen view which looks great. You cannot do these with the iVMS 4200 software. Plus I actually think the browser image is better looking than the iVMS image... ie. better color, more realistic, subtle but there.

If anyone can shed some light on what works and what doesn't work with Mac browser plugins, OS X Snow Leopard to Yosemite, and with which browser, please contribute to this posting, please! That Hikvisions work with Macs is such a huge plus in our investing in them, I would like some much to encourage Hikvision to continue and improve it's support of the Mac community.

I can access the cameras directly, but not through the NVR in Safari. Takes me to the login page with the maroon box but says plug in not installed, even though it is.....

Yes, it looks like Hikvision isn't keeping up with the ability to use their gear with Mac OS X. It's a shame, as it's the primary reason we started using their offerings. I'm not convinced that iVMS is being keep current and making it more Mac accessible. I wish Hikvision would devote some of their large engineering talent to their software offerings and compatibility.

Thanks for the feedback, it's the same thing I've observed with their NVR's. – L

I'm running OS X 10.10.3 and am able to access my own Hikvision cameras in Safari with the plugin. I can also access my brother's year old NVR DS-7604NI-SE/P that has the V2.3.7 firmware.

However, I can not access my other brother's brand new DS-7608 - keep getting the plugin is not installed message.

It definitely appears that Hik is not keeping the plugin up to date with their newest firmware. Dang...

I have just finished an install of a 7616 hybrid nvr for a client that uses only apple gear , I put one new Hik. ip camera on the unit and he is highly impressed he wants to change over to ip cam's as soon as possible. The app on his iphone and ipad work great but he cannot view them on his Mac "Yosemite", so I'm hoping that a solution can be found soon, there must be a lot of people with the same problem, I'm a bit surprised that nobody else has mentioned this before now.