Sign in to follow this  
Brenning

Connecting Hikvision to Outdoor PIR

Hi,

Hopefully someone has come across this kind of thing before. Pretty fed up with the unreliability of motion dectect on the 2cd2032 cameras as we have a lot of moving shadows etc. so looking to use an outdoor PIR. Ideally i'd like a POE outdoor PIR that could send a message to my hikvision PCNVR to trigger alarm for movement and i'll get emails of the snapshots at alarm trigger time. However, looking around the only "smart PIR" system as they appear to be known I could find was a POE PIR made by a company called RedBeam or similar, looked great but then realized they were $3000 each! What is the best way to go about getting this to work with a standard PIR? Hikvision don't seem to make an outdoor camera with built in PIR so am I better off purchasing an outdoor camera with alarm input and wiring the PIR into that? I don't want to add any extra cams outside as the 2cd2032's are pretty well hidden so any additional PIR input camera would be hidden away and just purely used for the PIR to connect to so to speak. Anyone else set this kind of thing up before?

I would look at small computers like a Raspberry Pi that is cheap, has Ethernet built in, there's plenty of example of adding motion detection sensor on the internets. The next thing would be what command you can send to the NVR to trigger recording. I know people have done this with BlueIris, not sure about the NVR but I would think so. Download the Hikvision NVR CGI API manual with all the url commands. I would first try that by sending the commands from a browser to see if it works as you expect. Then buy a Pi as that will be the easy part, just some coding in your favorite language. If there's a Microcenter by you, they were selling the Raspberry Pi B+ for $29.99. Get microSD card there for a few buck, like an 4 or 8GB and a PIR sensor, something like in this tutorial - https://www.modmypi.com/blog/raspberry-pi-gpio-sensing-motion-detection

I do have an exterior PRI connected to a Hikvision DS-2CD2732 camera and it works great. I do get some false alarms in a windy day, but I think if I lower the sensitivity of the PRI it will take care of that. I only use it for the camera to send me a text if motion is detected. I only have one in front of the house and I would like to the the same for the back and sides of the house. The idea of doing it with a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino sounds very interesting and economical. But I have not found any evidence online that it will work with a regular external PRI instead of the small naked toy like PRI that you can buy for this devices.

The Pi solution is not a cost saving effort, it's a way to possibly get PIR motion detection to a camera that does not have alarm inputs like the ds-2cd2732f-is.

Its an option worth exploring I guess but was hoping for something that was more out of the box style or didn't require a knowledge of programming. Also needs to be outdoor too. Was wondering if I could just mount a DS-2CD2432F-IW in some sort of weather proof box. Not too sure if the PIR will work through glass or PVC though.

Thoughts?

Its an option worth exploring I guess but was hoping for something that was more out of the box style or didn't require a knowledge of programming. Also needs to be outdoor too. Was wondering if I could just mount a DS-2CD2432F-IW in some sort of weather proof box. Not too sure if the PIR will work through glass or PVC though.

Thoughts?

It won't.

Thoughts?

It won't.

I guess I'd have to fabricate an enclosure that allowed the PIR and IR LED to petrude though thus not requiring glass. Not sure on everyone's thoughts about a DS-2CD2432F-IW surviving the cold (assuming I could keep it dry) ?

Thoughts?

It won't.

I guess I'd have to fabricate an enclosure that allowed the PIR and IR LED to petrude though thus not requiring glass. Not sure on everyone's thoughts about a DS-2CD2432F-IW surviving the cold (assuming I could keep it dry) ?

It will survive in the cold..look at the specs...

The issue is how well the pir sensor will perform outdoors...its not all that sensitive...

You are doing this all wrong...just use a camera with an alarm input and use an outdoor pir sensor..

It will survive in the cold..look at the specs...

The issue is how well the pir sensor will perform outdoors...its not all that sensitive...

You are doing this all wrong...just use a camera with an alarm input and use an outdoor pir sensor..

Looks like it could be back to my original plan of buying a camera with an alarm input only to hide the camera away but set it to trigger a snapshot from the other cameras upon PIR activation. Have to hide the camera away as anything bigger than the 2cd2032 isn't useful to me.

Anyone used any particular PIRs with Hikvision before?