woodworth

Graphics card for server

I am running a HP Ml110G7 server and IP Configure ESM software to capture my cameras. My question is does it matter what Graphics card I have in my server? When viewing and H.264 stream on an Axis Q6045 at full resolution 15FPS and 30 compression I am loosing lots of frames. Wondering if this could be the graphics card. Any help would be appreciated.

I am running a HP Ml110G7 server and IP Configure ESM software to capture my cameras. My question is does it matter what Graphics card I have in my server? When viewing and H.264 stream on an Axis Q6045 at full resolution 15FPS and 30 compression I am loosing lots of frames. Wondering if this could be the graphics card. Any help would be appreciated.

Generally it wont help..what cpu are you running? What is the cpu use percentage?

The compression decoding is what takes CPU and graphics card won't help. Spend the money on a faster processor.

You are very correct. That's the way almost all the software developers/vendors are doing.

CPU is an Intel Xeon E31220 @3.10GHz. When Viewing the cameras live in ESM or even the recordings from a client machine it was very choppy. I called ESM tech support and we pulled the raw video from the server and when you open it in VLC it says it recorded at 1-2FPS. Any sugestions?

When you have the software running and recording the camera, what does resource monitor tell you about CPU/MEM/NETWORK/DISK usages?

Things that could cause even the recording to slow down:

- Slow CPU (shouldn't be the case with that Xeon and a single 15fps FullHD cam)

- Slow network (you can check if you get all the frames on another pc, or straight to VLC on recorder, you should be able to get a live stream straight to VLC by opening a network stream from url: rtsp://cam-ip:554/axis-media/media.amp)

- Slow disk, if for some reason the disk is having trouble writing all the data, it might slow everything down.

Not sure if this makes a difference but most Xeon CPUs don't have any GPUs (graphic processing units). I did a quick search and your E31220 doesn't have any...

So really depends if your SW and system are CPU, GPU, or limited elsewhere. mkkoskin gave some good areas to start to look at...