Sign in to follow this  
bspieg

Camera Bash Script to Change Camera Settings

I am interested in writing a bash script that runs on the camera to change the IR on/off based on sunset/sunrise data that gets updated daily. I have a similar script that runs on Ubuntu Linux where I have access to the curl command.

The camera OS lacks the curl command. Anyone got ideas on how to query an external website for sunrise/sunset info without the curl and grep commands?

Is there a command on the camera to directly change the camera settings such as IR on/off? I also need a direct way to change the event recording on/off. I turn off the event recording when the IR changes then turn it back on after the camera settles down.

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

I actually tried adding curl to a camera and it just didn't fit as the file systems are full. I can keep it mounted on a NAS for example and run it from there or if you have a camera with an SD card, you can run it from there.

A cheap and smarter alternative could be a Raspberry Pi, about $40 with sd card and power adapter. You can write a shell script to issue curl commands to control IR on a set of cameras. You can do it based on a calendar of dusk/dawn times so you can program it to control IR based on that information. You can google raspberry sunrise sunset timer. There's a couple of solutions that are well documented.

I was working on using a Raspberry Pi to issue a curl command with the temperature using a temp sensor and it works.