Sign in to follow this  
MattFlah

Third party license fees for DVRs

Hi Guys,

Wondering why some manufacturers charge a per channel fee for using their DVRs with a third party? Any idea of which manufacturers don't charge this?

For example I know GeoVision have a $99 cost per camera for their viewing software if third party cameras are used

Thanks

Ya i never liked that. They can do that because if they just sell the DVR, without selling any cameras, well they won't be in business long if everyone buys 3rd party cameras with their DVR. They have to make money somewhere.

Hikvision does not charge a fee like that. You can try them out. They support a lot of 3rd party devices out there.

Ya i never liked that. They can do that because if they just sell the DVR, without selling any cameras, well they won't be in business long if everyone buys 3rd party cameras with their DVR. They have to make money somewhere.

Hikvision does not charge a fee like that. You can try them out. They support a lot of 3rd party devices out there.

Thanks a lot. I saw they had a list of compatible cameras but wasn't sure if they charged for them or not. Honeywell have a similar list but same issue again. Done a bit of digging and I think Indigovision also charge a license fee, but again I have no idea how much. Guess I'd have to get in contact with them all individually.

But yeah - thanks

Same with PC based systems. Some, like Blue Iris, let you use as many cams as you can support with the hardware for no extra cost, while others require a per-cam license fee.