Sign in to follow this  
marley1

camera with best alerting

I know most people do not set this up but I have to customers unhappy with hikvision setup I've installed (NVR and cameras).

I setup image snapshot but it sends so many false positives it doesn't play nice

What options are out there?

Dropcam or Logitech alert alternatives?

Only one way to guarantee that he will never get a false positive, hire a security guard. With that said, indoor, with my two cube cameras I have with PIR motion detectors, I get maybe 1-2 false positives in 3-4 years. From a Hikvision point of view, you could have installed ds-2cd2432f cameras that have PIR motion detectors. Dogs/cats in the house will trigger it though.

Outdoors not many cameras have built in PIR except Mobotix but if he's not happy with Hikvision, the image quality on Mobotix will be inferior and may not justify the $1,500/cam price. With Hikvision cameras with alarm input, you can setup your own PIR motion detection. Figure $100ish for the motion detector and a few bucks for the 12V power supply. Outdoors you will still get some false motion detects from birds, squirrels, cats, dogs, but far, far fewer than video motion detect you get now and you can block out the area close to the ground to minimize motion from 4 legged creatures.

Would Dropcam help, sure, you can get more false positives and really test the capabilities of the email system, see at which point your ISP locks your email account for spamming.