dbenoit64

Hikvision 2032 Power Draw

Good Day.

I am looking to install a Hikvision DS-2CD2032 3MP IR on a 12V battery and solar panel set up (using DC power not POE). Taking 12 snapshots per day on a 1 hour period. No IR and night time mode disabled.

I am wondering about amperage power draw (amount of milliamps and duration)...

On bootup.

IDLE.

While taking snapshot and

etc

or any other information that might be useful to me.

I cannot find anything on this camera besides that its 5W max.

Thanks in Advance.

Dave

Not that easy to measure 12V current load on the camera without taking it apart, so not sure you'll get an answer on this, specially on that model where you have to take it apart a bunch to get to where power is on the circuit board. Based on PoE with a smart switch, I don't even see 5W during the day.

All my cameras run on solar panels, 26 of them, LG280 But I use PoE. Also voltage out of a typical solar panel is not 12V, you could burn up the camera if you plug directly to a solar panel as most 60 cell panels put out about 30V or even the small panels can put out 18V

I use a lot of battery setups and have always used a multimeter to measure the draw. It has proven pretty accurate. Here is a link to a video tutorial:

Good Day.

I am looking to install a Hikvision DS-2CD2032 3MP IR on a 12V battery and solar panel set up (using DC power not POE). Taking 12 snapshots per day on a 1 hour period. No IR and night time mode disabled.

I am wondering about amperage power draw (amount of milliamps and duration)...

On bootup.

IDLE.

While taking snapshot and

etc

or any other information that might be useful to me.

I cannot find anything on this camera besides that its 5W max.

Thanks in Advance.

Dave

Where are you storing the footage, I assume you have factored that in too? A wireless router or computer will use extra power?

I think I read that the 2032 draws 7W max .. worst case (IR leds on, etc).

584mA by my math (at 12V).

Yes, from the solar panel you can measure it but it would require a camera he didn't want to buy until he was certain of the power draw. I can't measure it because I don't have a spare solar panel (all on the roof) so reliant on a 12v power supply and I would have to cut the wires or open the camera up to measure.

Not that easy to measure 12V current load on the camera without taking it apart, so not sure you'll get an answer on this, specially on that model where you have to take it apart a bunch to get to where power is on the circuit board. Based on PoE with a smart switch, I don't even see 5W during the day.

All my cameras run on solar panels, 26 of them, LG280 But I use PoE. Also voltage out of a typical solar panel is not 12V, you could burn up the camera if you plug directly to a solar panel as most 60 cell panels put out about 30V or even the small panels can put out 18V

Its actually very easy

get one male (DC)connector from bad camera

get female connector from power supply

connect them back to back

insert them between camera and power supply

connect your Meter in "+" or "-" wire

If u really want I can provide Pic

Where are you storing the footage, I assume you have factored that in too? A wireless router or computer will use extra power?

I ftp a snapshot on the hour. its sent to a server.

I am connecting to a battery which is powered by solar.

Its also powering a modem but i have other sites that have a lot of other equipment so i need to break each device down seperately to make sure i have the right size panel (power calculation).

It looks like nobody, even the manufactor, knows the exact draw while idle, and when sending via ftp, so what i will do is use an amp meter and try to figure it out on my own. i will post the results here. Will do late next week.

-DB

Here are the results of the power draw test I did with a multimeter.

Camera has IR turned off. Note the camera attempts to ftp a picture right away but is offline.

A. Boot Up. -

Lasts 30 seconds exactly.

IR Stays ON during this period.

Current Draw is 220 mA.

B. Period between Bootup and Idle.

IR Shuts off.

power draw is 90-100 mA

Last 10 seconds.

C. Idle

IR is Still off (as expected)

power draw is 170 - 180 mA.

Remains in this state.

This still doesnt sound good.

If I have the modem idle at 0.135 amps per day

The camera idle at 0.170 amps per day.

3 hours of sunlight (this is average)

Thats 0.312 Amps her hour.

I would require a 74.96 Watt solar panel !!

And > 55 A/H battery. !!

Cant be right....

So at .180mA it's 2.16W which seems low for that camera, I get closer to 3W on my PoE switch but lets say that's true. Your modem is 1.5W. What is your power loss going for the panel voltage to charging voltage. I assume with a small panel, like a 100W panel the sell on Amazon for $150ish is putting out 18V and of course varies based on the sun. So there's a load to convert the voltage and charge the battery and typical battery losses. I would think a 100W panel with a decent battery should keep that camera going on sunny days, but what if it's cloudy/raining for a few days, what if it snows and covers the panel, that is if you get snow, what if you don't have the panel aimed perfectly at the sun. Keep in mind, a 100W panel may only put out max power during 2-3 hours per day, then it drops off, sort of looks like a bell curve and even then, it will never come close to putting out 100W unless you have a sun tracker to move the panels to face the sun.

So at .180mA it's 2.16W which seems low for that camera, I get closer to 3W on my PoE switch but lets say that's true. Your modem is 1.5W. What is your power loss going for the panel voltage to charging voltage. I assume with a small panel, like a 100W panel the sell on Amazon for $150ish is putting out 18V and of course varies based on the sun. So there's a load to convert the voltage and charge the battery and typical battery losses. I would think a 100W panel with a decent battery should keep that camera going on sunny days, but what if it's cloudy/raining for a few days, what if it snows and covers the panel, that is if you get snow, what if you don't have the panel aimed perfectly at the sun. Keep in mind, a 100W panel may only put out max power during 2-3 hours per day, then it drops off, sort of looks like a bell curve and even then, it will never come close to putting out 100W unless you have a sun tracker to move the panels to face the sun.

Thanks for the info @Buellwinkle

I get 3 hours of peak sunlight Max (Atlantic Canada)

My power calculations gave me 8 AMP HOURS per day.

It said I need a 55W panel and a >55amphour battery.

I currently have a 10W panel. Im upgrading:

-> 55W PANEL

-> 2 75 Amp Hour batteries.

-> installing a Datalogger (controller) that will switch the power OFF over night and back ON in the morning.

Pretty sure this should work right?

Hi.

Since this is for snap shot only ...... Power calculations are way out.

Your looking at 1 hour of usage a day

Actually there is only 6 minutes of "usage" per day.

The camera takes about 30 seconds to take the snapshot and ftp the picture 12 times per day.

The other 23 hours and 54 minutes its sitting IDLE.

When idle its STILL drawing 170 milliamps. (around 2.38 Watts)

The modem IDLE is 135 ma (around 1.89 Watts)

Around 4.27 Watts CONSTANTLY (MINIMUM).

Am I missing something???