Don Stephens

IP Camera Testing - What do you guys want to see?

I'm going to be getting started on testing some more high end IP cameras in the next month or so. I already have a couple models from ACTi, Axis, and Bosch on the list but I'd like to know what you guys specifically want to get a look at. I'm not solely looking for cameras that are going to break the bank, so whatever suggestions you have, just throw them out there.

I don't think I'm going to be able to help with Avigilon for anyone who's particularly interested in that. To make a long story short, I just don't have access to their product line at this time.

How can Acti and High End go in the same sentence?

Honestly, I was trying not to hurt any feelings.

ACTi is still on the list though...a bit against my will. I don't have the best luck with their cameras.

How can Acti and High End go in the same sentence?

Honestly, I was trying not to hurt any feelings.

ACTi is still on the list though...a bit against my will. I don't have the best luck with their cameras.

You did not hurt feelings

You make us smile

I'll put it another way. I'm sick of looking at still shots from everyone's Hikvision 2032.

I'd also like to diversify a little since I don't have a lot of hands on with Bosch cameras, and I haven't touched a Vivotek camera since they were advertising their "VGA resolution" back in '05. I just want something to talk about other than Hikvision and Dahua for awhile.

And before I get laughed at for Vivotek, it's where I started with IP cameras so shut up.

I'll put it another way. I'm sick of looking at still shots from everyone's Hikvision 2032.

I'd also like to diversify a little since I don't have a lot of hands on with Bosch cameras, and I haven't touched a Vivotek camera since they were advertising their "VGA resolution" back in '05. I just want something to talk about other than Hikvision and Dahua for awhile.

And before I get laughed at for Vivotek, it's where I started with IP cameras so shut up.

Thx for second smile about Vivotek

and also I would like to know your testing procedure plz

My procedure has been known to change. It's mostly dependent on whether or not I'm going to need to create any sort of special environment or circumstances to test specific camera features.

I use Milestone for testing and video capture. I continue to use solid copper Cat5e until Cat6 becomes required. However, I will usually test each camera with some Cat6 as well just to see if there's any change in performance. Any hardware I'm using (PC, router, switch, etc...) doesn't change between tests until the camera specifically calls for it (this usually only involves the power supply). I also try to keep the testing site the same as long as I can so that side by side comparisons can be made between the various models.

Apart from hardware and cabling, I try to test the cameras in every available lighting environment I can; well lit ("even light"), low light, complete darkness. I also collect video samples that shows how the camera will react to glare. They're tested both indoors and outdoors regardless of the cameras intended location; I get too many mixed results with how they respond to various forms of lighting. I mount the cameras at a couple different heights. Outdoors, I first mount them at 15-20 feet to see what kind of detail they can pick up, usually in peoples faces, and at what distances. The cameras are then mounted to a tripod at 6ft and tested for license plate capture. The problem with this part is that the cars are only moving at one speed (approximately 15-20 MPH). Indoors, I usually only mount them at about 10ft to account for a basic office type setup. I will occasionally modify this portion of the test depending on what lens the camera is equipped with (IR also plays a role here). Each cameras specific features are also toggled through and tested in these environments.

Assuming I've covered everything I needed to with video samples, specs, and features, I move onto covering things such as aspects of included software, mobile applications, what comes in the box, accessibility, GUI, compatibility, etc...

The list really goes on and on and I'm sure I'm forgetting things. Is there something specific you're looking for?

I would like to see a review of the Bosch Flexidome in an outdoor setting. Interested in face capture/recognition out to 10m under minimal lighting conditions.

Do you guys have specific models in mind for the Bosch domes, or do you want me to pick them at random?

Buellwinkle, when you say "mini dome", are you talking about what they refer to as their "MicroDome" models?

Soon as we are moved into our new location we will begin testing multiple cameras and VMS platforms.

I will have video from all Avigilon cameras

You can test all the ACTi lol

Buellwinkle, when you say "mini dome", are you talking about what they refer to as their "MicroDome" models?

Any of their 5MP cameras that costs under $200. Want to see how Bosch competes with China.

Here's my criteria - Ultra low light capability like the Bosch Starlight 5MP but for an ultra low price like Dahua or Hikvision, motorized varifocal and focus for the same price as fixed lens and IP66 + vandal resistance. Built in PIR, mic, speaker and throw in 4K at 30fps.

Soon as we are moved into our new location we will begin testing multiple cameras and VMS platforms.

I will have video from all Avigilon cameras

You can test all the ACTi lol

There is one ACTi camera on the list right now and that's really only for balance. I'll leave the rest of the ACTi line for someone who thinks a little higher of it.

Here's my criteria - Ultra low light capability like the Bosch Starlight 5MP but for an ultra low price like Dahua or Hikvision, motorized varifocal and focus for the same price as fixed lens and IP66 + vandal resistance. Built in PIR, mic, speaker and throw in 4K at 30fps.

I hate everything about this post

Of the 4k cameras I have seen I haven't been that impressed. I have the Axis 4k camera and the image looks good until to start to drill into the image. You have to up the bit rate if you want detail.

Have you looked at the Arecont Omni Camera ? I am curious to see a good test.

AV12176DN-28 or AV20175DN-28

http://www.arecontvision.com/products/SurroundVideo+Omni+Series

It's only my opinion, but I've always failed to see the benefit of using a camera like this. I just haven't seen an environment to date where something like this was necessary/required, or just simply wasn't outperformed by another style of camera.

Throw some examples out where there was no other choice. I'll put it on the list, but I can't test it if I can't find the appropriate place to put it.

The OMNI camera concept is awesome. I have a customer that is extremely happy with the coverage but not so happy that the camera only working 10% of the time. Need another manufacturer to produce this camera and I will sell a lot of them

Edited by Guest

I OMNI camera concept is awesome. I have a customer that is extremely happy with the coverage but not so happy that the camera only works 10% of the time. Need another manufacturer to produce this camera and I will sell a lot of them

Where are you guys installing these where another camera style just wouldn't do? I can think of a number of spots to place them, but those same locations could just as easily have a dome or bullet in it's place. Is it just their low profile nature that draws people to them.

I'm clearly missing something with these and I've been begging people for awhile to lay into me and tell me how stupid I'm being.

Edit: Is it an FOV thing and not wanting to use multiple cameras to cover the same area?

I use the older 20mp 180 degree cameras all the time av20185dn. I use them a lot in parking lots when no one is manning the security system. I mean I love PTZ's if someone is actually using the joystick but if not I would rather use the 20mp 180 degree camera.

I have not had a chance to use the Omni yet. I have quoted it for a couple large warehouses but they haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I use the older 20mp 180 degree cameras all the time av20185dn. I use them a lot in parking lots when no one is manning the security system. I mean I love PTZ's if someone is actually using the joystick but if not I would rather use the 20mp 180 degree camera.

I have not had a chance to use the Omni yet. I have quoted it for a couple large warehouses but they haven't pulled the trigger yet.

From the sounds of it then, you like it for the good image it serves up at a very wide angle of view. If I'm wrong, tell me.

Do you every have issues with getting peoples faces on camera if they're within closer proximity of the camera?