ArcAngel

I need some help/advice

Hi everyone, I could use some help. I want to know a few things and I saw that most of you here know what you are talking about, So I wanted to join so I could ask some pro's about this.

#1: I would like to outfit my home in some IP cameras.. I would need about 8-12 of them, Which ones would be best to use? I want them to be HD, Atleast 30Fps, Have good sound to be able to hear what is going on in the room(I don't need one that is 2 way, Just one that has a good mic). Price wise, Probably around $4k for the complete set-up would be at my limit.

#2: I would like them to be set-up through a router without the need for a computer to be hooked up to them if possible. Any suggestions on that?

#3: I would like to have them set-up on a website so that anyone can view them, Not just me, But anyone who goes to the site. These will be on for a minimum of 1 year at all times, Possibly being watched by thousands of people at once. Can this be done?

#4: I have no knowledge of HTML or any kind of coding what-so-ever, Could I have someone build a site for me that could handle all of this?

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Hi everyone, I could use some help. I want to know a few things and I saw that most of you here know what you are talking about, So I wanted to join so I could ask some pro's about this.

#1: I would like to outfit my home in some IP cameras.. I would need about 8-12 of them, Which ones would be best to use? I want them to be HD, Atleast 30Fps, Have good sound to be able to hear what is going on in the room(I don't need one that is 2 way, Just one that has a good mic). Price wise, Probably around $4k for the complete set-up would be at my limit.

#2: I would like them to be set-up through a router without the need for a computer to be hooked up to them if possible. Any suggestions on that?

#3: I would like to have them set-up on a website so that anyone can view them, Not just me, But anyone who goes to the site. These will be on for a minimum of 1 year at all times, Possibly being watched by thousands of people at once. Can this be done?

#4: I have no knowledge of HTML or any kind of coding what-so-ever, Could I have someone build a site for me that could handle all of this?

It's already been done... It's called Big Brother....or The Sureal Life

It's already been done... It's called Big Brother.

That's not a very helpful answer... This is serious, Not some stupid "Reality" TV show... Not trying to be an a-hole or anything, I just want some serious answers as to if this could be done by a person, Not some multi-billion dollar company.

The serious answer is this:

What you're asking, whether you're aware of it or not, is for someone to design an entire system for you. People are paid to do this for a living. You either submit to the fact that you know nothing and hire a professional to do this for you, or you start teaching yourself the industry using available resources. I'm not saying this is the case, but your entire post makes you appear as someone asking for a personal shopper because you can't be bothered to do the research yourself. The forum is flooded with posts like this everyday and no one has the patience to respond seriously anymore to people who don't demonstrate that they're willing to help themselves instead of having their hand held.

Can all of it be found or done? Sure.

With your budget? Probably not.

The serious answer is this:

What you're asking, whether you're aware of it or not, is for someone to design an entire system for you. People are paid to do this for a living. You either submit to the fact that you know nothing and hire a professional to do this for you, or you start teaching yourself the industry using available resources. I'm not saying this is the case, but your entire post makes you appear as someone asking for a personal shopper because you can't be bothered to do the research yourself. The forum is flooded with posts like this everyday and no one has the patience to respond seriously anymore to people who don't demonstrate that they're willing to help themselves instead of having their hand held.

Can all of it be found or done? Sure.

With your budget? Probably not.

I was asking for suggestions on camera equipment that people have used before that are good quality and dependable.. I am not asking anyone to do anything for me, I was asking for advice, From professionals who work with this kind of equipment on a regular basis instead of going from reviews from random websites. i have been searching the internet for these things, But I mostly get things like "This camera is great!" followed by another review that says "This thing is the biggest POS I have ever used!" So I am asking for help on what would be a good setup for my use that you guys have used. Nobody is born knowing how to do anything, That is why we ask others to help so we can learn how to do them ourselves, That is what I am doing here. I am not expecting anybody to do everything for me, I just need help on stuff that I don't know about. I have seen the camera kits that are out there, And I am pretty sure that I can do that work myself. I have installed a IP camera before, Was not hard at all, Had it running perfectly in just a few minutes. Just need some advice as to which ones to get and which ones to avoid. And as far as the website, I planned to have a professional build it for me, The $4k price was only for camera equipment.

It's already been done... It's called Big Brother.

That's not a very helpful answer... This is serious, Not some stupid "Reality" TV show... Not trying to be an a-hole or anything, I just want some serious answers as to if this could be done by a person, Not some multi-billion dollar company.

No ill will intended. I was just making a joke! Sure it's possible, but there are some serious considerations that would kill your budget not the least of which is internet bandwidth.

OK, so the big names homeowners generally go for are Hikvision and Dahua because they're affordable. Anything lesser in quality than that, and I honestly feel like people are throwing their money away. If you want something more secure, which it sounds like you're going to need, I would recommend looking at Axis. Axis is expensive next to the other two (probably outside the budget), but if you want it done right, there aren't many better alternatives out there. ACTi may also be name you want to look into; more secure than some of the alternatives but not as expensive as something like Axis.

Avigilon is another big and expensive name that might get thrown out there, but you're not going to be able to shop around for their products; you'll need to find an Avigilon "partner"/installer in your area. People also seem to be pretty happy with Bosch although I don't have enough experience with their products to recommend them myself.

Once you make a more semi-final decision on brand/manufacturer, you can start worrying about which models are reliable.

Ultimately, you're correct not to go off of what you read in reviews you find listed right next to the "Add to Cart" button. Word of mouth is still the best way to go as long as you can trust the mouth.

No ill will intended. I was just making a joke! Sure it's possible, but there are some serious considerations that would kill your budget not the least of which is internet bandwidth.

No ill will intended from me either, As I said I was not trying to be an a-hole. I also know about the bandwidth, I plan on going with the best internet package possible from my end as I know it would be constantly uploading, And seeing what I can find as to what would be the best server side for the website.

OK, so the big names homeowners generally go for are Hikvision and Dahua because they're affordable. Anything lesser in quality than that, and I honestly feel like people are throwing their money away. If you want something more secure, which it sounds like you're going to need, I would recommend looking at Axis. Axis is expensive next to the other two (probably outside the budget), but if you want it done right, there aren't many better alternatives out there. ACTi may also be name you want to look into; more secure than some of the alternatives but not as expensive as something like Axis.

Avigilon is another big and expensive name that might get thrown out there, but you're not going to be able to shop around for their products; you'll need to find an Avigilon "partner"/installer in your area. People also seem to be pretty happy with Bosch although I don't have enough experience with their products to recommend them myself.

Once you make a more semi-final decision on brand/manufacturer, you can start worrying about which models are reliable.

Ultimately, you're correct not to go off of what you read in reviews you find listed right next to the "Add to Cart" button. Word of mouth is still the best way to go as long as you can trust the mouth.

Thanks, I will be looking into those manufacturers. And as I said, That is why I came to this site, To ask people who actually know about these things, Instead of just some random reviewers.