Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to thank you all for the excellent advice provided. I have one question: I recently installed a Lorex LNR382C4B LNR300 w/8 IP cameras. Installation was fairly smooth and set up of the PC client software was clumsy but it works. My issue is trying to set up my LG3 mobile device (Android V5.0.1) with the netHD Stratus app. After installing the app and setting up the device, when I select "live view" the app closes. I have removed and reinstalled several times with no help. And naturally a call to tech support has been useless so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Use the Hikvision app instead.

Joey, I installed the app iVMS-4500 but could get it to connect. I think this is above my skill level

Joey, I finally got it to work by creating a DDNS address through Lorex and connecting that way. The only issue I am still having is that it will only connect while I am at home (inside my network), but will not connect if I am away. I am confused because I thought that that was the purpose for getting a DDNS. Thanks for your help.

Joey, I finally got it to work by creating a DDNS address through Lorex and connecting that way. The only issue I am still having is that it will only connect while I am at home (inside my network), but will not connect if I am away. I am confused because I thought that that was the purpose for getting a DDNS. Thanks for your help.

Correct, the DDNS will direct your connection to your home while you are connected via the internet.

Your router in your home need to be able to forward the needed port to your NVR.

Did you enable upnp on the NVR and in your router?

This tells the router to forward ports and where to on your internal home network (LAN).

You can forward manually too, but your NVR needs a static or reserved IP address on your LAN.

When you're forwarding ports like this, always put very good passwords on your network devices that are exposed on the internet.

Joey, I manually forwarded all the ports and upnp was not enabled on the NVR (Yes on the router). I will see if I can now connect while away from my network. I am also concerned that I kept the same default ports. When I changed them, Lorex tech support told me not to do that as it would not allow mobile connections. Does that make sense to you?

Your external ports can be different to the internal ports, as long as you perform all the correct forwarding.

I feel that it slightly safer to use non-standard ports, just like you are doing.

I have never had a good experience with Lorex tech support.

Thanks Joey, I know what you mean regarding tech support. Here is the reply they sent me when I opened a ticket regarding my Android phone and its failure to connect via their app:

"We are recommending customer's not to update your smartphone or tablet at this time. We will update this post once compatibility has been verified."

Their android apps are rebadged Hikvision apps that don't get updated, it seems they just replace them with a different app.

I have been happy with the i4500 app from Hikvision, they just released a good update the other day.

Joey, I was finally able to get the I4500 app to work both at home and away and am very pleased with it. Thanks for you help

Joey, I was finally able to get the I4500 app to work both at home and away and am very pleased with it. Thanks for you help

Great!

Just wanted to add to this thread a bit... I was also getting the Lorex app crashing on my Galaxy S5 with Lollipop. I found that the Swannview Plus app is exactly the same as the netHD app, except it's blue and it actually works on Android 5.0. You won't be able to use the device ID, but it'll work with the DDNS or WAN IP from outside the network as long as your ports are forwarded, which it sounds like they are.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have the same problem with netHD with my Samsung S6. So I tried to set up static IP with port forwarding on my LNR300 NVR to view cams. I got it to work when I view cams on the S6 on the home network, but doesn't work over internet suing the swannview plus app. I suspect it's the port forwarding issue so hopefully someone can point me to steps where I went wrong. Here's how I set it up:

On NVR-

1. Assigned IP address 192.168.0.55

2. Created DDNS from Lorex website and inputted username and password into NVR's DDNS page.

On Dlink Router:

1. set up static IP address 192.168.0.55 and MAC address from NVR

2. On port forwarding, point IP address above and TCP/UDP port at 80.

On Swannview plus app:

1. Set up IP/Domain using IP address 192.168.0.55 and port 80 (default port was 8000)

2. Username and password is the one I assigned to the NVR (no the DDNS username/password)

I see cams when I am on my home network, but connection failed when I connect thru internet. Anything in my steps above that are wrong?

thanks