bt101

Is an NVR Necessary - IP Camera Newbie

My current camera system is built on linux/motion/analogue and USB cameras. I went that route years ago because the USB cameras gave me multi megapixel recordings at 1/100th the cost of multi megapixel IP cameras at the time. Now that IP cameras are no longer insanely priced, I was thinking of buying some. However I'm stumped about the purpose of an NVR and am asking if I really need one?

On my current system, the cameras/software simply write all the videos to a directory. Completely separate from the recording aspect, I have a web server running on the same computer that serves a web page where I can review events and watch recorded videos. So I'm guessing I would simply configure the IP cameras to write their videos to the directory as well, and I'm pretty much done. I gather these IP cameras (have an ethernet connection) can write to a file share right?

I tried looking for some "basics" about IP cameras and this link mentions 3 methods that IP cameras can record videos, however it doesn't mention writing to a file share:

http://www.kintronics.com/neteye/video_qa.htm

I can't imagine that they would make an "IP" camera (that has an ethernet connection) and it doesn't write to a share (would be like selling a car without wheels).

Just get NVR software to do that. Some manufacturers provide that for free as long as you stick with one brand, like Dahua PSS. If expect multiple brands, BlueIris is a low cost way to go, about $40 or if you want something higher end, Milestone XProtect (they have a Go version that's free, but has limits).

Just get NVR software to do that.

Thanks. I'm not clear on what an NVR does though?

All I need is for the camera to write its files to a network share.

Do IP cameras do that?

Once the files are on the computer, I can view them with the web server.

some cameras will write a network share, others will just write to their own sd card, you can just login and view you buy the software to make it easier, you will have hours and hours and hours of files and the software is designed to separate the wheat from the chaff, it's a good investment.. i have 2 copies of blue iris. and running about 22 cameras now..

plus i use the iphone app and it works great.

Just get NVR software to do that.

Thanks. I'm not clear on what an NVR does though?

All I need is for the camera to write its files to a network share.

Do IP cameras do that?

Once the files are on the computer, I can view them with the web server.

NVR (Network video recorder) usually means a dedicated hardware with some basic functions.

In buellwinkles case "NVR software" means a software that can handle these basic functions and probably a bit more, since it runs on an actual PC with operating system.

The last option would be whats usually called VMS (Video management system/Video monitoring system), which usually gives a lot of features to handle the recording from hundreds of cameras, digital I/O, license plate recognition, analytics, video walls etcetc.

So in your case, NVR software (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35868 Scroll to Video recording software) would be the best option. These software actually record the camera streams to a non-video format, which you can then playback within the software, and only export important parts as a videoclip. Most software also has web-server and mobile client support aswell.

Since you only want to record single images now and then to a ftp server, you can probably do that without any software at all since most of the cameras have "Screenshot to ftp" functions.