I'm looking closely and studying IP cameras with the view to purchasing. Probably I'll start with one camera, get it working, sort through any issues and continue learning. Eventually I'd like to run about 6- 8 cameras.

I like what I'm reading about the Hikvision DS-2cd2032F-I 3MP Mini IP Camera but I have a few questions before diving in.

1/. Can the IR be switched off as an option? I think I recall on one of my old analog cameras that the IR board was plugged in so perhaps unplugging might also work.

2/. Is recording configurable for simultaneous 24/7 recording and motion detected events flagged. Here I want the convenience of motion detection footage so I can casually browse but I also want the total security of full time recording as well.

3/. Is the camera able to be rebooted by an automatic schedule, perhaps weekly?

4/. Is the SD card slot option a good upgrade? Will it work seamlessly? What are the basics to expect?

5/. Firmware with cameras from the various sellers is listed as high as V5.2.5 which appears to be a step above that listed at Hikvision.com. Is it the new standard yet to be released?

Sorry for the questions. Am keen to learn. Thanks.

1 - The IR LEDs can be disabled. It's buried a bit deep in the menus, but they added it a few releases back.

2 - The camera doesn't do any on-board recording (no memory slot), so this will all be done by the NVR or software you use. I haven't used the network drive or FTP recording features, so someone who's worked with those will have to comment. I run 2 independent systems, 2TB each, with 9 cams - one recording motion for about a month, one recording 24x7 for about 5 days. Software like Blue Iris will let you clone the camera and run one channel motion detect and one 24x7, but 24x7 eats up a lot of disk space. The built-in motion detect on most cams is much less flexible than the motion detect in software like Blue Iris, but software motion detect uses more CPU.

3 - I think there's a setting to reboot on a schedule, but I may be thinking of Dahua, which definitely does. I run all mine without reboots, though the Hiks will hang very intermittently and require a power cycle.

4 - The 2032 doesn't come with an SD card slot. SD card cams are generally a good bit bigger, and vary a lot in how easy it is to access the card, set up and access the recordings, copy them, etc. SD card sizes won't hold a whole lot of video, and they wear out over time due to the constant re-writing. I used to use them but haven't for some years, but some people like them. If you want to stay small, there's not a lot of choice with SD cards.

5 - Firmware is a complex topic for Chinese cams, and there are lots of threads on it. If you buy Chinese cams, they usually come with hacked firmware for English, and updates will either fail or reset the language to Chinese. There's a variety of fixes for this. You always want to either read the feedback on new firmware first, and make sure you have a file for your present firmware (and TFTP capability just in case).

If I were to start with 2 cams today, I'd get a Hik 2032 mini-bullet and a Hik DS-2CD2332-I turret; either both in 4mm or one in 4mm and one in 2.8mm. For software, I'd install the Blue Iris demo and Milestone Xprotect Go. By the time you get everything configured, set up, and tested, you'll have a much better understanding of how things work and what you want in your next cams, and those 2 cams are very useful general-purpose cams.

There are aliexpress sellers offering a 2032F with sd card...not sure if it truly exists or where in the camera it goes...

Thanks for the super replies. Most appreciated.

Yes, I'm hearing some good reviews about Blue Iris. Will be studying it over next few days.

The 2032 is listed with a 64gb card slot by a number of Aliexpress sellers. This appears to be the latest iteration as I don't find them on Ebay. The card is accessible by removing two screws. Just how useful it would be as a feature I'm uncertain.

I hear you on the firmware. I had an occasion to update my DVR and caused myself a few problems with lost function.

TFTP!! This could solve the problem for me if it could retrieve original firmware from a second DVR. Is this possible with TFTP?

Please advise. Am reasonably confident with PC work.

Great idea on taking the first step with the two Hik cams. It makes good sense.

There are aliexpress sellers offering a 2032F with sd card...not sure if it truly exists or where in the camera it goes...

I didn't find this camera by searching the HikVision site though. I would like to see the Data Sheet on this.

The image below was taken from and aliexpress ad.

Capture.JPG.aea1a5dd167092ed75b0340ca4fa9d7f.JPG

That's a nice addition to the 2032, and the easy access looks good. I like the reset button placement too. All they need now is a mic, speaker, and IO breakout box!

Ok, I found the cam on Ebay,com. It appears the vendor is also a seller on Aliexpress being about $4 cheaper there.

Both offerings are with free shipping.

I've not bought on Aliexpress before so am hesitant. Am I being over cautious? It appears a lot of product is sold via the site. I've heard both extremes of opinion regarding Aliexpress. Any stories out there??

The SD card slot might be handy later on but for now can I simply not populate it as an option?

That's a nice addition to the 2032, and the easy access looks good. I like the reset button placement too. All they need now is a mic, speaker, and IO breakout box!

It is easy access, but I wonder about moisture getting in there, if the door doesn't have a gasket of some sort.

It is easy access, but I wonder about moisture getting in there, if the door doesn't have a gasket of some sort.

Agreed, that was my thought too. The info is often a bit lacking. Then there's the language barrier. I'll try asking a question of a seller on Aliexpress.

Edit: I tried the seller but there was an automated response so will try again later.

Funnily, the cam I was watching on Ebay suddenly shot up about $8. I've noticed before strange gyrating around of prices for no apparent reason.

I opened a thread about this cam a while ago some thoughts were shared about this model, you should check:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44800

Ordered one from Aliexpress, first time using the site I hope everything goes well...

I can do a little review, my knowledge about cctv is not the greatest although I had installed Samsung and Bosh (analogue) in the past with good results.

Ordering from AE totally depends on the vendor. Some have good reviews, some not so good, some awful.

Here's a popular AE store on some of the forums, though they don't appear to carry this new version of the 2032.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/638300

I bought a cam from them recently with no issues, and went there because others had recommended them.

I assumed the cover for the SD card would have a gasket; otherwise, it wouldn't have the IP66 rating, but you never know for sure until it's in hand.

I've been giving some thought to this camera model [DS-2CD2032F-I(W)]. After reading the other thread it was mentioned in http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44800 and looking at the Hikvision Web page for this model http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/prgs_186_i6879.html I noticed this camera comes in wireless too. I'm guessing maybe this design was made for a customer? This looks like a simple enough change to make for a customer willing to order enough units. I think that would explain the incomplete, Chinese only web page. Also the big cylinder on the cameras pigtail, and the easy access to the sd card.

It's starting to sound like they moved the POE hardware out of the camera to make room for more features like the SD card slot and wireless circuit.

Ok, after a bit of studying the AE site, I decided to try and contact some vendors. By chat I spoke with two. Both said only to use firmware from the seller. My other question about weatherproof seal of the card slot was not understood.

Two other vendors I decided to email with coupe of questions each. Both have not responded after nearly 4 days.

So, the language barrier can be quite a problem and did my emails even get through. I'm not feeling very inspired...

Ok, after a bit of studying the AE site, I decided to try and contact some vendors. By chat I spoke with two. Both said only to use firmware from the seller. My other question about weatherproof seal of the card slot was not understood.

Two other vendors I decided to email with coupe of questions each. Both have not responded after nearly 4 days.

So, the language barrier can be quite a problem and did my emails even get through. I'm not feeling very inspired...

Some one here will buy one I'm sure, then we'll all know. On another forum this AE vendor was recommended, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/202753. He is selling the DS-2cd2032F-I. I've never used AE. But for the price, and size, and SD slot, and the popularity of the 2032 (because of the price, I bet), I might get one from AE. I don't even know where I'd want to put that, I was going to go with all domes for my setup. The domes I want all cost about twice what the 2032(F) does. It's odd that the 1.3mp version seems to currently cost more than the 3mp. maybe 1.3mp are going the way of the dino?

Thanks for tips.

Yes, actually that seller was one on my short list along with the previously tipped top rated seller.

It appears that feedback over 6 months doesn't count for their rating.

Incidentally, one seller did eventually respond to my email. The response was clear with reasonable English however they didn't clear up the question about gasket or seal for the SD card slot.

Am going to decide shortly, get one item and work from there.

I did get one of this units over a month ago. But it didn't ship until after chinese new year, so I still have not received it.

According to the tracking number it was posted 2/March, and left international post office 7/March. I hope it gets here soon.

I did get one of this units over a month ago. But it didn't ship until after chinese new year, so I still have not received it.

According to the tracking number it was posted 2/March, and left international post office 7/March. I hope it gets here soon.

Chinese New Year would be quite disruptive for shipping. I read warnings from several sellers before the event. Wikipedia lists 37 Chinese holidays so I wonder how many will affect business, shipping etc.

Good for you is the shipment is seen to make progress. It's only a week after leaving P.O. so no cause for alarm. I know it can be nerve racking. Please reply when the item does turn up, it would be great to know.

I've proceeded with a purchase from Dragoneye. Status is: shipping required within next 5 days, else sale automatically cancelled. The only thing to note so far is seller contacted to say only 4mm lens was in stock, so I agree. Logically, sellers would not be keeping any stock especially those on the cheaper end of the price. For the future, my thought was to query availability of required options before proceeding with any order.

One other thing I noticed. Firmware versions vary with at least 3 variants. I see V5.2.5, V5.2.8, V5.2.0 so I wondered if this would cause any issue down the track?

I guess that is why one Amazon vendor I was thinking of buying from seemed to disappear from Amazon.ca That vendor is back now, but I was freaked out the way he was just 'gone' until I read this post by Securame.

One other thing I noticed. Firmware versions vary with at least 3 variants. I see V5.2.5, V5.2.8, V5.2.0 so I wondered if this would cause any issue down the track?

I think v5.2.5 is only Chinese, v5.2.8 in think is multilingual (I've been readin too many things, in too many places, to know what is what off hand.). I'd like to know what all comes in the box other than the camera. ie. a disc, paper copy of users manual, installation manual, and data sheet (and in what language).

I think v5.2.5 is only Chinese, v5.2.8 in think is multilingual (I've been readin too many things, in too many places, to know what is what off hand.). I'd like to know what all comes in the box other than the camera. ie. a disc, paper copy of users manual, installation manual, and data sheet (and in what language).

Looking through the offerings most state 'English firmware', 'multilanguage' or similar despite variation on the version. It's one thing to say it's English multilanguage but another to be that and do it well. Chinese product does have the reputation for poorly translated English instruction manuals. I guess I'll see when the cam gets here.

I'm keen to see what comes in the box too. I'll do an unboxing photo presentation here on this thread so stay tuned.

My cam is now listed as 'shipped' though not yet registering on China mail tracking. Curiously the Aliexpress website link supplied for tracking was in Chinese. Confusion was soon sorted once I asked Mr.Google to find an English website and there appears to be several including my own country's post website.

I have some other items in my shopping cart, two from seller CCTV CAMERA CHINA. Since purchasing my cam I was offered the DS-2cd2032F-I for US$1 off their normal retail. Every time I check prices, there is someone with a new better offer. I guess this reflects the dynamic nature of the market for IP cams. I'm going to wait till this cam arrives before buying the turret Hikvision cam. By this time I'll have learnt more plus prices will have come down.

Got the camera today, but no the time I needed to install it.

Default language was English, and you can see the gasket on the photos and the size of that thing.

268118_1.jpg

268118_2.jpg

Got the camera today, but no the time I needed to install it.

Default language was English, and you can see the gasket on the photos and the size of that thing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with great pictures. How long did it take in the mail? Let us know how it goes please. Were there any problems with setting up, etc?

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with great pictures. How long did it take in the mail? Let us know how it goes please. Were there any problems with setting up, etc?

Thanks.

It surprised me, usually it takes longer... it was shipped at 02/03 and got it yesterday.

The only test I made was running SADP, change the IP and password, then connected to Synology and everything seems to be working as supposed.

I will have to manage the time on the weekends to install the cables and a PLC that I still need to buy.

I´m no expert on Ip cams, this will be the first one if I skip the Foscam...