malford

linking Status Failed on Hikvision NVR Using 8 Port Switch

Hello Gentlemen.

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd better introduce myself and at the same time pick your brains

I love gadgets and this is my 2nd venture into the cctv world after returning a box system after several failures and multiple missed motion recordings, I'd had enough and decided to go for a Pro setup which up to now has exceeded all my expectations and the quality of the hardware and image clarity is very impressive.

Anyway on to my problem...

When connection my NVR to my router using Netgear AV500 powerline adaptors I get a 100M Full Duplex connection which works perfectly... (shown on the diagram below highlighted in RED).

I decided I wanted to make use of the Gigabit capability and decided to run some cat5e cable from the NVR via a Netgear 8 port switch to my router, however when checking the Net detect status on the NVR its coming up as failed. Link speed varies from 1000M to 10M. The cable was terminated using a EZ-RJPRO crimp tool and tested ok on all 8 pins (shown on diagram in BLUE)

I have removed all connections to the 8 port switch and just had the nVR connected and still the problem remains...

As I mentioned the powerline connection works perfectly but I wanted to improve it further..

Any help would be most appreciated..

netgear-2.thumb.jpg.fe072d2303daae724c0b775b6a823441.jpg

Edited by Guest

I don't understand what you have connected, as the diagram doesn't show the ports being used.

It shows that you could have one too many net connections to the NVR.

To expand the NVR's network, use its LAN port, not part of its 8 port switch.

To rule out network issues for testing, use a bought cable.

ok so break it down to basics- what is the ip address of the NVR and the DVR, are they on the same network range ?

first step can you ping the NVR direct from your laptop without the router being connected, then try connecting the router and see if you can still ping it.

Sorry for the late reply..

Here is my setup shown in the two diagrams, the powerline setup works ok but the hard wired setup fails..

powerline-1.thumb.jpg.e20e525a390eb16ffcc98d1cc58084c4.jpg

hardwired.thumb.jpg.185ab30921242c272ca6c1fc4002d6e5.jpg

The connection on the POE NVR is through the LAN port marked 4 on the picture below..

The connection on the Netgear unmanaged switch are all unmarked (picture below)

image.thumb.jpg.48eb6e43dfcbb7c50ea968f56a5a34c5.jpg

image.jpg.d9ddfa46597f1d44c95085694185a255.jpg

[attachment=0]hardwired.jpg[/attachment]

It seems that your blue cable here sucks. If you can not use it wired, there are only a few options that might apply. Disconnect your NVR, connect a netbook using that cable, and see if the network works at all using that computer.

[attachment=0]hardwired.jpg[/attachment]

It seems that your blue cable here sucks. If you can not use it wired, there are only a few options that might apply. Disconnect your NVR, connect a netbook using that cable, and see if the network works at all using that computer.

Thanks you were 100% correct.. The Blue Ethernet cable had a cross connection on pin 4-5.

I retested the connection and re crimped and now connecting at full speed..

Thanks you were 100% correct.. The Blue Ethernet cable had a cross connection on pin 4-5.

I retested the connection and re crimped and now connecting at full speed..

Glad that helped! " title="Applause" />