Sign in to follow this  
athomas61

Narrowing down a final system

I have been researching a while and have decided I want an IP based system with 16-channel NVR and decent quality cameras. I figured I could start with 8-9 cameras and add more later since the NVR has the capacity. Q-see and Swann (from CostCo) which I know are re-branded seem to get mentioned pretty consistently. I don't know if the site allows the discussion of specific deals, but I consistently see a 16-channel NVR with 8 cameras from Swann for $1500, and 16-channel NVR with 9 cameras from Q-see for $1700. I have a few questions....

1) I do not have a CostCo nearby or a membership so I'd have to use a friend's member number and have the item shipped. Does this still leave CostCo as the best place to purchase this system?

2) Is one of the systems significantly better than the other especially if I add a couple cameras later?

3) Do they both offer all the same general features and are they highly regarded overall?

4) Big question, since I'm not familiar with CostCo do these items go on sale often if ever and is it at a significant discount? I'd love to avoid paying full price if I can.

Thanks for your help, just about ready to pull the trigger!!!

1 - Go for it. Only hassle would be a return if you needed to.

2 - Can't really answer that... I don't know anything about Qsee. I do own the swann system from there (the 8 cam one).

3 - See above

4 - All the time... Seems like every other month I get the costco ad email and the systems are on sale. I believe they are right now. Got mine on sale.

The swann system as you mentioned you know, is re-branded Hikvision gear. I've had no issues, and have even added extra Hikvision cameras to it (not rebranded) since they're the same, works fine.

You can also communicate with the cameras directly and access further configuration options than would be available just through the NVR.

I also play around with Blue Iris software, using the same cameras at the same time. No interference with the NVR system at all. Once you get to know how things work, it's really quite versatile.

It's a good, functional solution that should serve you well, without breaking the bank. The pro stuff and pro installers definitely have their place, but for the average home user, this system is quite capable. I'm pleased with mine.

Thanks for the input, I didn't realize 8 of the ports were non-POE. The $1500 system is the rebranded Hikvision like you said and comes with 8 bullet cams and an NVR with 8 POE/8 Non-POE ports. The Q-See is a rebranded Dahua system for $1700 and comes with an extra camera and all 16 ports are POE. That seems like it might be worth $200 right there?

Anyone have any more insight into my first 4 questions or the above? From this forum these seem to be very popular choices, but without a CostCo nearby I am purchasing site unseen and returning wouldn't be that fun so I really need to try and get it right the first time.

I know rebranded or not Hikvision and Dahua are regarded well here, but are the included cameras and NVRs good enough?

I didn't realize 8 weren't PoE either. I guess I never looked into it, as the 16 port system was overkill for me. The 8 port one I got was all PoE.

The idea may be that anyone requiring that many cameras probably isn't going to be doing home-run cabling from each camera to the NVR. More likely some would be far enough away that it would make more sense to power them from their own PoE switch, and uplink one single cable back to the NVR.

The extra $200 for the other system may be worth it, if it's practical for you to make use of the 16 actual PoE ports. I don't know the area you have to cable for that many cameras, but consider the cost and trouble of all the possible cabling. Would it make sense maybe to buy a second PoE switch for a distant group of cameras and only have to run one single cable back. May offset your $200 pretty quick.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with input on Dahua for you.

When you ask "good enough?" , that's hard to answer. Good enough for the average home user? Certainly, in my opinion. For the pro market? No. Huge difference in price though. Different markets.

I have been researching a while and have decided I want an IP based system with 16-channel NVR and decent quality cameras. I figured I could start with 8-9 cameras and add more later since the NVR has the capacity. Q-see and Swann (from CostCo) which I know are re-branded seem to get mentioned pretty consistently. I don't know if the site allows the discussion of specific deals, but I consistently see a 16-channel NVR with 8 cameras from Swann for $1500, and 16-channel NVR with 9 cameras from Q-see for $1700. I have a few questions....

1) I do not have a CostCo nearby or a membership so I'd have to use a friend's member number and have the item shipped. Does this still leave CostCo as the best place to purchase this system?

2) Is one of the systems significantly better than the other especially if I add a couple cameras later?

3) Do they both offer all the same general features and are they highly regarded overall?

4) Big question, since I'm not familiar with CostCo do these items go on sale often if ever and is it at a significant discount? I'd love to avoid paying full price if I can.

Thanks for your help, just about ready to pull the trigger!!!

What system did you end up buying..?

I got the Q-see system from Costco a few weeks ago. QC8816 with 8 4mp cams. Learned a lot since then.