Does anyone have any advice on cameras for the front door? I am buying a Hikvision NVR, so something that is compatible with that. I planned on putting a turret in the corner, but maybe there is a better way of doing that.

Also, is there a way to view my cameras on my TVs? Any third party gizmo that I can connect as an HDMI source that can view the cameras? Or is someone doing something else clever in that aspect?

2.jpg.94bb17921ede2d20885c43720c69cc9e.jpg

Edited by Guest

You simply do not give enough information here to expect an answer. First what id your front door situation? onto the street, into a portico into the garden what?

Also yes of course you can view your cameras on your TV that is if your NVR has a suitable output that matches your TV inputs i.e either VGA or HDMI you could even stream the video to your TV with a media streamer. But where is your NVR to be located you have to get the cable to the TV in order to plug it in and HDMI will require a good if not great cable if it's any distance away.

You questions are fairy vague and a picture of your front door would help you get suggestions. Remember if anyone is standing infront of a camera the light behind them will be an issue (very often)

Placement for a front door cam is usually a trade-off. If you mount it above the door, you're too high when they're right there, and you don't get as good a view. Down low, and the physical security for the cam isn't as strong, if that matters.

My door cam is mounted to the side; in your pic, it would be above the window to the right of the door. This gives a pretty good view (I went with a longer lens; 6mm, I think) and isn't as noticeable.

You get side view, and that can be a bit limiting too.

Best bet is to come up with a way to temporarily mount the cam in each location. I like to use a ladder and towel with bungee cords; the towel lets you redirect the field of view easily.

This lets you test it in a variety of positions and figure out what works best for you.

I use a 2.8mm Hikvision DS-2CD2332, suited perfectly. It does slightly distort someone when they are right at the door, but you get a really good clear shot before they are that close.

front-door-2.8mm-hikvision.JPG.a91bd4f8a64ba6aab956a3bc957e7c91.JPG

I use a 2.8mm as well, not the greatest as i need it high enough for someone not to hit it but low enough for a lucky face rec shot.

As for viewing on your tv i hooked a 50' VGA cable from my Hikvision DS-7731NI-SP in the basement up through the ceiling downstairs to the living room upstairs and plugged it into the PC port on the back of my Samsung tv. Now when I want to watch the cameras I hit the source button on the tv remote till I get "PC" and bam there I go.

Now if you want to be lazy like me and not go down stairs every time you want to play with your camera's I would also install a 50' USB cable with a repeater built in (cheap on amazon) and run that beside your VGA cable and now you can hook up a wireless mouse beside your tv and control your NVR in the comfort of your favorite couch!

Good luck!