Sign in to follow this  
shdes

qualities of switches

Do different switches brands vary in qualities being faster or slower? What to look for.

I want to connect my ip cams to external POE switches instead of internal NVR poe ports.. but it appears the external switches are not as fast.. what do you think?

Do different switches brands vary in qualities being faster or slower? What to look for.

I want to connect my ip cams to external POE switches instead of internal NVR poe ports.. but it appears the external switches are not as fast.. what do you think?

External poe switches are available in gigabit if you want....you dont need gigabit switches for most applications as the cameras themselves are 10/100..start reading posts on the subject.

The sweet spot is a POE switch with 100Mb ports and a Gb uplink port. As Boogieman says, 100Mb ports are fine for cams, and all Gb POE switches are still expensive.

Even running 8 ports at 4096Kbps won't load down a 100Mb uplink, but I always like to have overhead, so a Gb uplink port will handle future needs.

The sweet spot is a POE switch with 100Mb ports and a Gb uplink port. As Boogieman says, 100Mb ports are fine for cams, and all Gb POE switches are still expensive.

Even running 8 ports at 4096Kbps won't load down a 100Mb uplink, but I always like to have overhead, so a Gb uplink port will handle future needs.

My dahua NVR offline alarm is stable when all cams are connected to the internal POE ports.. but when I use external poe switches.. there are times it sets off the alarm by being offline a split second. I wonder if switches have qualities in that between similar say 100 Mbps brands, the better brands like Dlink are better in stability than none-brand generic china made poe port switches? what protocol in same 100 Mbps switches that can affect stability?

Yeah, quality will always be a factor, especially in low-end switches, since it all depends on both the hardware and software quality. Like with cams, better to go with a name brand that others have had good results with.

Yeah, quality will always be a factor, especially in low-end switches, since it all depends on both the hardware and software quality. Like with cams, better to go with a name brand that others have had good results with.

Are there external switches that is even faster than the dahua built-in internal nvr poe port switches or are the latter already the most ultimate switch directly connected internal to the nvr processor for complete stability and efficiency? Any got any experience on this?

Are there external switches that is even faster than the dahua built-in internal nvr poe port switches or are the latter already the most ultimate switch directly connected internal to the nvr processor for complete stability and efficiency? Any got any experience on this?

Or to rephrase the above. If you use external switches.. would it be faster than the existing built in poe ports or the same speed no matter how expensive external switches you use?

Tough to tell without doing network speed tests, and not just transfer rate tests, but more detailed ones. I don't know what's available for that outside the corporate network market.

I'd guess the NVR's internal switches are optimized for connectivity to the rest of the box, but you never really know with Chinese gear until you try it. Some very similar NVRs can have pretty different performance, even with identical hardware, due to software differences.

Not many people complain about the cams going briefly offline due to network signal drop, in general, whether they're using internal or external POE. When they do, it's often tracked down to an external component.